+4mm Hot Rods Crank

The original member was jus_me, and he did receive a FULL refund for the crank. I took the issue very seriously. Any my business is not backed by several hundred thousand dollars by far - I wish it were, I could have employees - but its not, its just me, and what I do best for a living. Flying solo with one start up business and suddenly inheriting a second from your family in a similar industry is definitely a full plate to say the least.

The crank was dropped into a local machine shop - I do not have a jig to measure runout. The shop pressed the crank apart, measured the journal, rod bearing, and thrusts. They reassembled and trued the crank back into specs. If having too much to do around the shop, taking inventory in a second business, and just being slammed with work causing me not being able to stop in here and respond to days worth of responses is too much - please cuff me and take me away. If you were really interested in the cranks condition it would help to either call or email me - I do NOT get notifications when theres a response to my thread.

Ken you asked a legit question - I would have been happy to answer sooner. Too bad I didnt get to before the bashers came to play.

Now unfortunately the crank has been sold this am. So perhaps all this was for notta. The guy who inspected and trued it back up bought it for his sons build. I appreciate any interests.

Oh he wont. He has nothing to say

HA...Hardly. I am not intimidated by folks who can spare the time to stay online more than myself. As started numerous times. It can typically be MUCH faster to reach me by Email - Jon@Younggunsracing.com - by phone, or by PM. As we can already figure out - with PM's sometimes I may not respond to you that day or the next. If it is urgent please do not panic, resort to one of the other two options.

EDIT:: BTW, this was not an attack...I am just simply saying, theres alot of folks demanding answers and they have the time to be here moreso than myself when getting an asnwer from me is not as hard as it seems. If you don't believe me - try the email sometime. It works and I check it daily at some point. You can even text the number instead of calling -- 540-903-461eight

I did make the suggestion for strength and reliability. It probably had about 30 hours on it. Not a ton but enough in a drag application. He has access to a nice tig at work, so I am sure more than likely he will weld her up. Its his preference at this point. Always a good idea nonetheless.

Thanks for the response YGR. Sounds pretty legit for the most part. I have no idea how your crank builder measured a big end rod bearing but I'm interested in the procedure. It's not something we do here. I'm sure you're very busy......So am I. Best advice I can give you is if you're going to post, sell, give away, on this forum, check in once a day. I do it. It takes about 10 minutes. You could have saved face and avoided a bunch of BS. Your customers are the most important part of your business and they deserve to know what's going on with their parts. Communication is key. This is a VERY tough business that demands tons of time, research, skills, education, experience and discipline. You have to love it more than life and find a way to make it work for you. Good luck Boss. I'm rooting for you.

Race only application that would be a fair amount. Wouldn't happen to know if he ran a shaved or no counterbalancer do you?

Yes - he does NOT run a counter balance. Neither do we in our bike.

Thanks Ken, I hear what you are saying. Its tough for sure, I try to dedicate time where time is needed and in this instance it did not pan out so well. Nonetheless, I am glad the parts are moving and on their way. You should be receiving the head from me shortly as it was one of the two packages. It should have a note enclosed in the box about what to do with the rechamber. As for the rod bearing I do not question them but thinking about it I would be happy to ask and find out - If i had to guess he probably didnt measure the bearing itself - would seem impossible on a caged needle bearing, but rather check for notable visual wear and clearance / endplay.

That's interesting :cool: seeing as when I broke a balancer gear/bearing it shook like a whore in church. Could see where that could put stress on crank, especially if parts were within "spec" but near limits. I.E. max on holes, min on pin

With the balancer still in the engine and trying to partially operate I am sure it shook. Ive had no issues with severe vibration or hot rods cranks in general with no balancer. In every "drag application" blaster we do - we remove them. So far we have not experienced any premature failures - or any failures at all currently to date. The oldest drag blaster motor I have out there has 4 hard seasons on it (obviously I was not OFFICALLY in business on that date) and it's still going strong. As far as builders go to each their own, we all have a different outlook and way of doing things :)

Also to note, always a good idea to have the crank welded for strength and durability in any higher performance / drag application. Even the hot rods cranks. Helps a ton in the long run, balancer or no balancer.

In every "drag application" blaster we do - we remove them

now that this has settled down a little, I have a few "suggestions" to help your stay here...........

*keep your pounded to death by no balancer, used drag cranks, off the marketplace here.
*none of us are dumb enuf to believe.... "it's set to .040 side clearence to allow more oil to the bearing"
direct qoute you tried to bullshit the original buyer with.

*no BS about USPS, the tracking #'s show exactly where packages where sitting, or not.
*make sure you sing the same tune here as you do on your other forums.
*this isn't the "all hail the sponsor dollars" forum.

take them as you wish
good luck
:)

Last edited: