400ex shock help

giantvt104

Jan 6, 2012
deer park, ny
Ok so i got a 400ex rear shock and i was going through it cleaning everything up and i see a few screws. From what i read this shock has 3 adjustments: Preload, compression, and rebound. The 2 big rings on top of spring are for spring pre load. From what i read the with the ressie facing me on the top right side is compression adjustment and on the bottom same right side is the rebound adjustment. My question is on the bottom left side opposite of the rebound screw (rightside) is another screw (Leftside)? - the 3rd pic i posted. I assume it is just a locking screw that holds the bottom mount to the strut piston. But i am not sure. Does anyone know what the third screw is?

Also i cant seem to get the rebound screw to budge in either direction? I am thinking about spraying a little pb blaster into the threads, letting it soak for a bit then trying again. Is this a bad idea? finally and does anyone know what the nitrogen pressure should be from the factory?

Attachments

• CIMG1508.jpg
    CIMG1508.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 200
  • CIMG1510.jpg
    CIMG1510.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 195
  • CIMG1512.jpg
    CIMG1512.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 199
  • CIMG1513.jpg
    CIMG1513.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 233
That screw in your third pic isn't adjustable. I can't say what it is but the two shocks i have it doesn't move. I am assuming here that the fluid goes through the piston and into that bottom block somehow and back up?? That bottom rebound adjustment should turn one way or the other as there is a H and S mark on that as well!

ok thanks slick. Im just the type of person that can take a simple item and complicate the crap out of it!! I actually got the unknown leftside screw to move counter clockwise, but it stops when it gets to the top? i dont want to mess with it too much so im just gonna tighten it back down and leave it alone. and stop thinkin about it. Im gonna spray the rebound screw and easily try to free it up. i just ordered the bushing and screw kit from KOR. I also removed the spring as you can see from the pics. I painted it this deep royal blue color. I think it came out pretty good. Im gonna post some pics the end of the week when i put it back together. after it fully dries. thanks again slick for always giving me advise. much appreciated.