400ex rear shock?????

Awk08

Administrator
Staff member
Technician
Jan 30, 2009
just installed today what was supposed to a 400ex rear shock, read the diy's on here, went to the hardware store and got the necessary bolts,nuts,washers and spacers, then when i went to bolt up the top, it wouldnt go into place, i ended up having to cut the little flange off the frame, that my right side plastics bolt to, the resi on this thing is huge, and also offset to one side, i even shimmed it with washers so it was tight to the shifter side, but still had to cut that tab and also the corner of the plastics where they meet the airbox???? is this not a 400ex shock, maybe a 450, or even the suzuki one??? it has adjustment screws for rebound or dampening at the top, and the bottom, anyone know which is which???? they both have a little arrow and an "h" and "s", i assume hard and soft, i set them both to "s'
and took her out for a blast, what a difference, great, best 42 bucks i've spent in awhile, but if someone can identify this shock maybe i can do a diy on it, the spring is red,
here's some pics.....,.,.
HPIM0894.jpg

what i had to cut
cutting.jpg

offset spacers
HPIM0898.jpg

bottom mount and brass spacer
HPIM0896.jpg

Last edited:
That looks to be a 450r shock you have there. Good job on the install though. I just installed a 400 ex shock on mine and i had to cut the air box a bit to clear the ressie.

i thought i was gettin a 400ex shock, but knew this rezzie was too big to be, so i wrote and asked, they said '05 honda 450r, good deal for 42 bucks and 10 shippin

rides like a caddy, i have both settings on s, i guess for soft, with my son and i both on it, it bottomed a couple times, (we're over 300lbs together), but by myself, like a dream, im gettin too old to be banged around by the stock junk, i actually think it can handle more than my fronts now, so i guess their next on the list, i had "works dual rate steelers" on my '96, gotta get another pair, soon, havent try jumpin it yet, my feet are still a little sore from a big tabletop i hit way too hard last week, my insteps were actually black and blue, im thinkin this shocks gonna help that situation, after i learn how to set it up

What kind of paint did you use on the frame? I'm restoring a Blaster and I Want that exact color scheme, but I can't find the right paint. Also, what did you prime it with? The primer is everything.

The adjuster on the top part of the shock is going to be for your compression and the adjuster at the bottom of the shock is going to be for your rebound. Nice job on installing the shock

i have the same shock and i love it too it rides a little higher and keeps me from bottoming out the suspension. i had to cut the tab on the frame as well.