400ex Do's and Dont's?

Bigger main jet, slip on and taking your airbox lid off is a great upgrade for you 400ex. They are great quads, all u gotta is change oil every so often and clean air filter. Not high high maintance but not the easiest.
IDC what ppl say, but throw a full exhaust on a blaster with out a lid, vs. a 400ex with same mods and the 400 will win. the z400 is liquid cooled? that doesnt really make it better? with a radiator u stand a better chance of overheating then u do a air cooled motor? And its 05+ that they have reverse..
Overall its a good quad with power where u need it, and u will be happy if u can find a 400ex that runs good for a good price.

ight i gotta clear this up..... a blaster will not touch a 400ex my blaster was bored and stuff like that.... my ex is bone stock other than a slip on at least thats all the guy told me.. anyways just by the way my ex sounds and its top end it will smoke a blaster. i say a piped and air filter blaster will beat a stock ex but a ex with a pipe and slip on will smoke a blaster with a pipe and air filter

ight i gotta clear this up..... a blaster will not touch a 400ex my blaster was bored and stuff like that.... my ex is bone stock other than a slip on at least thats all the guy told me.. anyways just by the way my ex sounds and its top end it will smoke a blaster. i say a piped and air filter blaster will beat a stock ex but a ex with a pipe and slip on will smoke a blaster with a pipe and air filter

Boring a blaster .030 over does nothing for performance.....

i can take a piped freshly rebuilt 400ex on my blasty.
i also need new clucthes my jettings rich and my carb is just a little bit small.
a good pipe new filter take off your lid a port job and that 400's just riding behind ya.
you got a pipe and a good bit of the other mods get a good trail port and them 400's can suck on your blue smoke......

400EX?!?!?! Ewwwwwwww......

Attachments

• Whoooo.jpg
    Whoooo.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 411
i had my ex pushing 75 today and not hitting rev limter..... not sure a blaster could do that

soooo, we're only talking top speed here ha ?????
how does that compute to the trails ????
oh yeah, it doesnt !!!!

riding on the rode at 75 is just dumb.... 400ex probably the most reliable air cooled 4-stroke sport quad, change oil and clean filter and they will run forever.But who would want one when you can listen to the ping of a two stroke......

riding on the rode at 75 is just dumb.... 400ex probably the most reliable air cooled 4-stroke sport quad, change oil and clean filter and they will run forever.But who would want one when you can listen to the ping of a two stroke......

honestly i miss my blaster.... a lot..... but this winter were tricking out my ex like my blaster but were doing a tt build.... woo hooo

400exs rock, period. Different animal than a blaster. The maintenance isn't bad at all....you should be changing your blaster air filter frequently - all you gotta do is change motor oil every so often which is not hard at all. Unless you're highly modded and racing the ex, you set the valves and that's it, check them once a year or if they start making noise....but it's easy. Honda motors are totally indesctructible and idiot proof. That being said, it's not hard to do a top end in an ex, no where near as tough as a new 450 motocross bike!! They're a hell of a lot of fun out of the box and like everything else that isn't already setup for mx when you buy it (but then you still gotta dump coin on it anyways, haha) the ex gets better with the right mods. mod it to suit your needs, yeah.

love my blaster but it can't compare in the handling department to the ex....or the awesome brakes. the exceptional handling means a rider with less skill can push it faster in tight trails....and I love exs for tight basically 4x4 trails that I mostly ride on.

I say as long as it's not too beat up (or even if it is but the price is right) and the motor isn't ticking, snag it. you'll love it!! it doesn't have the 2stroke snap, but it's no slouch on power and the gear ratios are so well planned out that it's got the balls you need when you need it.