+4 Swingarm from Ebay

JonS

Mar 27, 2010
okay guys, i'm about to have Swingarm Shop build me a +4 swinger for the blasty. i'm running an ATC 250r rear shock though. where do i need to tell them to put the mount point to get the most out of it?

i was told using a stock mount point would make the ass end sit up high. i don't want that, but i also don't feel like low riding either. i was thinking maybe telling them to move the mount point back an inch.

here's another thing too, i can't measure the shock while it's on the bike and plus it's at my parents house. anyone know how long they are? i heard it was longer than the TRX rear, but i dunno what they are either.

Someone shed light on the sitchyashun....

write it on the swingarm and say shock mount here write it in sharpie and make parellel lines showing them where you want it put

You would know best.IMO I would take a look at yours and measure off exactly how far from the shock mount you want it and give them that measurement.Is the atc250r shock that great that it is worth it to move the shock mount?IUf

f you have not rode this shock yet I wouldn't go fabbing parts for it ahead of time.You may not like the shock.

You would know best.IMO I would take a look at yours and measure off exactly how far from the shock mount you want it and give them that measurement.Is the atc250r shock that great that it is worth it to move the shock mount?IUf

f you have not rode this shock yet I wouldn't go fabbing parts for it ahead of time.You may not like the shock.

yeah, i have rode the shock a plenty now and i have to say it's awesome compared to stock, of course. i just told them to move it back 1" for me. hopefully it'll be good enough and not sit quite as high as it does now.

i refabbed a mount on my sons + 4 swinger to accept the trx250r rear shock
(it sat 6 inches higher at the grab bar when connected to the stock location)

it sits good, and rides incredible where i have it now
i can give you exact measurements tomorrow

psss..........get a swingarm shop "known to break" swinger if thats all you can afford
or get guaranteed atom bomb proof one here.............

http://www.kenoconnorracing.com/Yamaha%20Blaster%20Swing%20Arms.html

Last edited:
You can figure it out by taking the spring off the shock & using the Phragle method. Won't account for the extra 4" but will be much better than moving it back which is the wrong way to go.

Phragle's suspension 101 > http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/suspension-geometry-101-a-11155/
~
My hillbilly method ...:) ....> http://www.blasterforum.com/suspension-130/another-homemade-swingarm-24993/index6.html#post364193

The longer shock should put the bottom mount hole below the bottom edge of the swing arm so you can get the bolt in ... Be interesting to see if the swingarm shop can get it right. I'd like to have a chrome one with the mount in the right place.
Good Luck!

Just to warn you, I had a swingarm shop HD swinger made for my build, the carrier mounts were welded off causing the axle to sit crooked slightly. Now after a little bitching they offered to replace, but I would never buy another....ever. I would spend the extra money for one from ken who will know where you need the mount welded for sure.

this may be a thought. If your shock only makes it sit an inch higher with a +4 swing arm the extra tension my push it down that inch. im not sure how it would ride but its a thought

well, got my swinger finally. the install went pretty good i have to say. nothing is crooked, but i'm going to have to replace my tensioners. onlybecause the previous owners rigged up a different bolt for it.

gotta say i'm impressed with it so far, but if i could do it again i would not move the mount back. due to me not thinking it through, i forgot that my cfm box is faulty. it doesn't touch the shock, but i only have a 1/2" clearance between the two (with me sitting on the grab bar pushing it down). i believe i would only rotate the mount down maybe half an inch next time.

btw, the 106 link chain works wonderful, although i'd probably take a link out for more fine tuning. also, i'm thinking this ain't the mx version since the mount tube doesn't come through the outside of the swinger tubes. this one will work for now. if it breaks i'll start bitching.

0624011411.jpg

0624011430.jpg

0624011430a.jpg

Nice man! Thing looks pretty good! Good luck with that shock and airbox trouble. Looks really good!

there won't be any trouble, but i'm either gonna run a direct filter or hack the tube off this box and put the filter on it.

Whats wrong with the box?

sits too low, can't mount it any higher than it is with the carb i have. could possibly use it with a smaller carb and it'd mount different, but i ain't changing carbs again.

thanks man. was starting to think i may have got carried away with the blue lmao

looks good,
but definately keep an eye on where the "ears" meet the swinger tubes, thats where blasterfreek30 broke his while riding here at AWR II
not sure why you keep getting pushed into thinking these things don't break,
they do !!! and i guarentee they wouldnt last one season where/how i ride
maybe if you ride only groomed sand ???
keep us posted