250r rear shock

zcarlson12

Apr 16, 2010
Cleveland, Ohio
Hey guys, new to the site but i had a couple questions. My neighbor has a 86 250r rear shock for sale in good condition for $75 and i was wondering what i would have to do to make it work on my blaster. I have a +2in. swingarm already on it but as we all know the stock rear shock is horrible so i wanted a cheap fix for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys, new to the site but i had a couple questions. My neighbor has a 86 250r rear shock for sale in good condition for $75 and i was wondering what i would have to do to make it work on my blaster. I have a +2in. swingarm already on it but as we all know the stock rear shock is horrible so i wanted a cheap fix for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can pick up a 450R shock on Ebay for $50 shipped and a 400EX shock for $30 shipped if you look hard enough. Then just spend the $20 for Ken's bushings. A lot of others have done the 250R rear shock though. I'm presuming it has Honda OEM specs and bolts up the same way the 400EX shock does. You just need Ken's bushings, drill out the bottom shock hole(on the shock) to 12mm and you are good to go. I'll defer to somebody that has already done the 250R upgrade first though.

you may have issues with the 450R fitting, rather go for the faithful 400ex, its a bit softer than the 450. But im no expert in saying what the diffs if between the 250 and the 400.

Haha maybe he hasnt searched for the search button. but yes, there is plenty info already available on here

I:I
search.jpg

the atc250r may be a different length ???? which is the 86 ??? trx or atc ??
but i have a trx250r shock on my sons, and believe it's superior to the 400/450, way more travel and external rezzie .....so no airbox interference
it raised the ride height some, especially with a + swinger, my sons +4 raised almost 6"
a relocated shock mount set it back down and has huge - over 10"- rear travel and is plush as hell but has never bottomed
takes kens bushings installed outside the mounts to reduce the bolt size, and some grinding of the eye to fit in between the mounts...............

9atyzd.jpg

like i said blasterboy im new to the site dont get your panties in a bunch and thank you 99lrd for the help il remember to use that next time.

awk- when you re-did the shock mount did you fab a new bracket for the top or bottom mount i cant really see in the pic, thanks.

top mount is the same. bottom you need bushings because your pin is to small and will leave to much play. so either make your own or pm ken oconner for a set of bushings for 20 bucks

this bike had a really nicely done extended stock swinger, which had a new mount and the old stock one both, i welded 1/4"x1" plate between them and sat the bike down to the ride height i wanted, slightly higher than stock, swung the shock into place, marked, drilled and re-installed the pin, works awsome
i think the +4 had alot to do with the extreme heighth ???
only way to see what yours needs is mount it up, but the bottom mount is the only option for relocating
heres pics of what i did, maybe overkill, but i like strong.................
nzfxx1.jpg

9h836p.jpg

i understand what your saying about the bushings but im talking about what awk said about the ride height. he said a relocated shock mount lowered the ride height and i cant see where he relocated it.

i have a 1986 trx250r shock as well. the 250r shock rides like a dream and has an ACR remote ressi, which leaves you more room and clearance for the airbox. idk wat people keep saying but you dont need any special bushings for this shock. the upper bushing of the 250r shock is just slightly too wide to fit inside the blaster's shock mount, but this is fixed by just simply touching each side of the bushing with a grinder so that it just fits inside the mount and then you can just use the stock bolt to mount it. for the bottom mount, the pin for the 250r is bigger than the stock blaster so you have to drill the mount on the swingarm so that the hole is the same size as the 250r pin. line up the shock, slide in the pin and you have yourself one hell of a comfy ride ;)

as for the height issue, AWK you must have a different year shock? with the '86 i was able to lower the height by turning the two nuts at the top of the spring so you can make the height very close to stock ride height if you wish. i found mine more comfortable to be 2" higher than stock, but this is rider's preference bc you dont want to sacrifice handling by rasing your center of gravity too much.

i believe my sons is am 87 trx250r shock, and i guarantee, i have ken oconnors bushings on the outside of the stock mounts to accept the smaller size bolt this needed, i also had to grind the eye a little to fit in there, my excessive ride height may have been due to the relocated shock mount that was already on this
+4 home extended stock swinger that came on the bike when i bought it ???
and i did not want to turn the preload down from where it was, in the middle, my sons about 225lbs.
so i had no choice but fab what i did to make it suit my needs, with that swinger.
but it does ride like a dream, with tons of travel

Reactions: WRE_Blaster