240 Kit Help Please

zapzipzee

Jun 25, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
Hi Everyone,

My dad recently put a Vito's 240 kit in my bike. It included the Head, Cylinder, Piston and Rings. LR Racing did a mild Trail Port or Blueprint on the Cylinder. The 340 main jet, and the included pin are in the carb as recommended by both Vitos and LR Racing.

We went through an entire tank of gas heat syncing the bike. Filled her up and went out again, I went up a moderate hill (anyone from Oregon...I was at South Jetty and went up the far left end of the hill at the main parking lot). Bike went up nicely a few times, got on the pipe as expected...good power. (Actually, I was impressed...it was fast!)

Stoped and chatted about it for a few minutes, then went up again and that's when the problems started... Throttle lags and has a terrible time getting on the pipe...(if I wiggle the throttle enough in gravel it will get past it and goes.)

We replaced the spark plug --> it was very rich. Bike still did the same thing... Dropped down a jet, too lean...and same problem.

We currently have the 340 jet and supplied pin in the bike. We took the carborator out of a known working bike and swapped the jets... better but the throttle lags abou 1-2 seconds behind and actually got on the pipe better but I was on pavement. We have cleaned the stock carb in Yamaha Carb Cleaner twice and had the coil checked by the local yamaha shop... I have an aftermarket pipe & silencer that came on the bike...unknown brand. The bike is a 1991...we have annother 1991 blaster that we can swap parts with to troubleshoot and a 2002 blaster.

We are getting very frustrated, and my dad is really upset as this was a birthday present...that's not working...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Kristin

(anyone from Oregon...I was at South Jetty and went up the far left end of the hill at the main parking lot).

We replaced the spark plug --> it was very rich. Bike still did the same thing... Dropped down a jet, too lean...and same problem.

We currently have the 340 jet and supplied pin in the bike.

The FAR left side is almost flat!!!!!!, go up the far RIGHT side!!!!!

What air filter are you running?, before I stroked and put the big carb on my bike I with an FMF Fatty and Power Core II and a K&N filter (stock replacement) I ran a 390 jet!
I also ran the stock needle, I assume you put the "blue" needle in that came with the jet kit?

I wouldn't let those guys over at "Ram it and Wait" touch my blaster!!!!!

Thank you for the quick responses!

I beleive we switched out both the reeds and the carb. The reeds from the 2002 blaster had some bars/prongs attatched to them that mine didn't have... When I bought the bike it had already had some engine work done so the previous owner may have changed this or it's something the newer bikes come with. Thing is, bike ran fine until the 240 kit. Will check the reeds over more carefully though! Thanks!

Ramsey Waite isn't going to touch it...don't worry...they were just closest to have the coil checked...lol...Also, I went up the part of the hill that is a little steep, just not long...we were still breaking the bike in...lol... I took it up the main hill before, and comp, but I didn't trust it to come out of the lake hole...I cant wait to try when it gets running though! :) We have a K & N with no box, and an outer wear. And we did put the blue needle in...should we change it back to the red one and buy a larger jet? the 340 is the largest one we have...what size do you recommend? Thanks!

Thank you both!

We're going riding for the next few days and will try things out when I get back and let you know what I've found!

Thanks,

Kristin

Bump

Bump puts the thread back up to the top of the forum...I was hoping to get some more ideas...

The local shop doesn't have a 390 jet, so we have to wait until one gets here... Is that what we should do? LR Racing says that's WAY to big and it wont work...but his latest idea is that the breaks are draging!!! so we'll try this... 390 Jet and original needle is what we're going to try. Happy 4th!

Kristin

What local shop?, the jets are just the "large" hex Mikuni jets, there's more than one shop here that should have them!!!
You need a set up like this!

stock carb is way too small ,get yourself a 35mm pwk airstryker ,that engine requires more CFM
doesnt matter if you run fat jetting or not ,sometimes enough isnt a enough

Cycle sports didn't have the jet...we'd rather not buy from Ramsey Waite...what are the other shops??? The ones on West 11th never have anything...

As for the new carb...we'll try the bigger jet and original needle because a new carb is pretty expensive...

Thanks!

Kristin

Bump

try taking the airbox lid off to see if that helps alittle but im gonna have to go with getting a bigger carb..u need more air and fuel since u got a 240 kit and port and polish with out more air and fuel the porting was a waste in my opinion...good luck

Cycle sports didn't have the jet...we'd rather not buy from Ramsey Waite...what are the other shops??? The ones on West 11th never have anything...

I flip off cycle IDIOTS twice every day, once on my way to work and on the way home too!, try Cascade cycle, the ONLY! thing Ive ever gotten there were jets!?
Actually the best bike shop I've found is Gran Prix cycle center up in Albany
Home
They're the only ones that seem to know ANY THING!!??

Hi All!

Thanks for the help. The solution cost under $2! The flywheel keyway was sheered off. We replaced it, and it runs GREAT! Gets a little warmer than I'm used to, but don't usually ride in the summer.

Kristin

bump