2003 with a DT200 swap need help

kamkam

Jul 24, 2014
Alberta, Canada
WP_20140729_004.jpg
WP_20140729_008.jpg
WP_20140729_002.jpg
WP_20140729_005.jpg
Hey guys, i picked up a 03 blaster a few weeks ago for a couple hundred bucks and figured it would be a good project. Not knowing however that it had a dt200 motor put in it. I found this out last night as i finally got to take a look at it and tear it apart.

The motor seems to be ok, just need piston and rings, cylinder is fine, and not much if no play in the crank. I am more worried about jetting and making sure this bike will run right. It has a aftermarket pipe on it and running one rad.

Liquid coold system seems to be tight with no leaks but i havent gotten to try running the bike yet. There are a bunch of wiring harnesses that are not connected to anyhting but i am assuming those are the ones for the original 200cc that came with the quad.

Just looking for all the help i can get. I am unfamiliar with the bike but am pretty handy at most small engine endevours so any input will be appreciated. Anything i need to look out for? Or things i should add/tune to help it along? Here are a few pics to give some perspective.

I dont know much about the dt200, but if you get this thing running right its going to be awesome!

I may be wrong, BUT i think you will need a battery to run the YPVS system. Or something like that.

If it was me i would try to find the wiring diagram on line!

Thanks for the link, looks like it should help. I'm pretty sure this bike ran with this motor in it. I dont know for sure since the guy i got it off of got it from a trade and he never did anyhting with it. But the power valve was hooked up when i took the head off. Hopefully it wont need a batter as thats just one more thing to add to the list.... Just need work to slow down so i can have a day or 2 to tinker. My little cheap easy project may have jsut grown a bit haha

Best thing to do would be to send me that pos cylinder with all other components and i will ship you a new ready to rip stock cylinder. :)

View attachment 11288 View attachment 11290 View attachment 11286 View attachment 11289 There are a bunch of wiring harnesses that are not connected to anyhting but i am assuming those are the ones for the original 200cc that came with the quad.

Nice score. Those connectors are the leftover lighting connectors from when that motor was in the bike. The hardest part of that conversion is the wiring. It uses 2 separate charge coils going to a single regulator/rectifier. 1 circuit is only regulated and runs AC current to the headlights and dash light. The other circuit is rectified/regulated and runs DC current to the battery for the taillight, turn signals, horn, and servo motor. It doesn't need a battery to run, but it would be best to have a small battery in there for everything to work correctly with the servo motor. I doubt that it would be a good idea to wire the 2 charge coils together. If they aren't phased correctly together on the stator plate, it will make smoke. On mine, I am going to run 2 Trail Tech rectifier/regulators and 2 small batteries. I'm going to run 1 HID light and the servo off 1 charge system and run the other HID and tail/brake light off the other circuit. On mine, I'm running a CPI pipe and the water outlet pointed straight at the pipe. I machined out a right angle water outlet on the lathe and the mill. I mounted the servo motor under the seat and am going to have motion pro build custom cables for it. I spent a LOT of time and money to get a custom radiator mounted inside the frame, in front of the steering stem. Assuming on yours, they took the motor straight out of the bike and put it in the blaster, you may find out that the transmission ratios are not optimum. On the bike, there is a huge ratio change between 1st and 2nd. 1st is 3.181-1 and 2nd is 1.875-1. I'm running the Blaster transmission and the DT200 primary gears. I had the DT200 clutch basket gear bored out 1 mm to fit the Blaster transmission. Make sure you check to see if the DT200 autolube is functional or if it is running on premix. Although some people trust autolube pumps, I don't. That's a whole nother discussion.

Reactions: OConnor Racing
Thanks for the detail bluesman, my bike had a cpi pipe on it as well. I will be hooking up a small batter for the powervalve. I have a friend who is great at custom fab work and he will be mounting my cervo and rad. The auto lube has been taken out so I will be running premix. Still working on getting my new piston and rings as ive been working like crazy. I will be keeping you guys updated for sure. And if you guys have anything else to add please by all means feel free to buzz in.

Also what is this cable for? Not to sure what it is for. It was taped up as if it weren't being used any more.

Attachments

• WP_20140729_009.jpg
    WP_20140729_009.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 412
Also if anyone could tell me what kind of piston this is? It was the one I pulled out and didn't recognize the stamp on it. Figured it would have been weisco but it doesn't look like it

Attachments

• WP_20140804_002.jpg
    WP_20140804_002.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 407
If yours has a CPI pipe, how do you plan to deal with the upper radiator hose? Like I mentioned, it points straight at the pipe. That cable was for the autolube pump. The original DT200 throttle cable split, with 1 cable going to the carb and the other going to the autolube pump. Since it's still there, the autolube pump probably is too. It would be best to remove the pump and install a blockoff plate. The clutch cover has to be removed to remove the pump. I don't remember which way you pound out the bushing, but make sure you are pounding the correct direction so you don't bust a hole in the cover.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Blas...ors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c357331ce

That's a Wiseco piston, however, not the correct one for that motor. That piston is for the '89 and newer DT200R which has case fed reeds. The correct piston for yours should have windows in it like a Blaster piston. Maybe even be the same piston as a Blaster. Not sure. That piston looks trashed. I would question the crank and rod bearings. Make sure you jet it plenty rich and lean down from there. Also, the Blaster key switch has a pair of normally open contacts and a pair of normally closed contacts. Hook up 2 more wires and use the normally open contacts to supply battery power to the servo control box. Use the normally closed contacts for the ignition kill.

Yes, that's a boost bottle. The DT200 came with it. One of those things that sounds like a good idea, but probably doesn't do anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a genuine Yamaha DT200L service manual. I'm not going to scan the whole thing, but if somebody genuinely needs a schematic or something, I can help out.

Reactions: jus_me
The cable tach drive came out of the top of the case near the oil fill hole. It has a plastic gear that runs off the counterbalance shaft gear. You can see that boss on the top of the Blaster cases, but it's not fully machined. The speedometer ran off the front wheel.