2001 Blaster bogging and backfiring

Big Buttery

Feb 23, 2015
Kathyrn Alberta
I was cleaning my air filter a couple weeks ago and something got caught in there and pocked a hole in my reeds but it still ran fine. I put in new reeds and stoppers and it's still having the same problem. I tried adjusting the carb but it still does the same thing. It idles fine but won't rev very high. What do you think I should do? I pulled the head off and everything looks fine. Have no clue.

Sounds like your reeds are jacked, or your jetting is way off. Look into both of those, and you should find an answer. Take some pics, and give a list of the mods you hace done to your bike, and we can help you better.

BTW, how was the birthday party?

Sounds like your reeds are jacked, or your jetting is way off. Look into both of those, and you should find an answer. Take some pics, and give a list of the mods you hace done to your bike, and we can help you better.

BTW, how was the birthday party?
Party was good and it has stock jetting I'm pretty sure and
The only aftermarket part it has is an FMF Fatty.

I'm way curious how you poked a hole in a reed while just cleaning the air filter.

Any time you have ANY part of the top end apart, you NEED to do a leakdown test.
Anytime you have unidentified running problems, you need to start with a compression test and a leakdown test.
It amazes me how many people pull the head off to have a look when it's not running right. What are you expecting to see?

I'm way curious how you poked a hole in a reed while just cleaning the air filter.

Any time you have ANY part of the top end apart, you NEED to do a leakdown test.
Anytime you have unidentified running problems, you need to start with a compression test and a leakdown test.
It amazes me how many people pull the head off to have a look when it's not running right. What are you expecting to see?
I think something fell in while there was no air filter. I was thinking there might be internal damage. However, I noticed oil leaking out of the head gasket so I know I need to replace that.

I have a 1992 blaster doing the exact same thing it is all stock no mods just instaled boysen power reeds tonight and rebuilt the carb all the way still doing the same thing it starts on first kick and idles fine but when you give it gas it boggs smokes crackles and pops i done a leak test around all the seals with carb cleaner and i got no idle diffrence im ready to burn it

I have a 1992 blaster doing the exact same thing it is all stock no mods just instaled boysen power reeds tonight and rebuilt the carb all the way still doing the same thing it starts on first kick and idles fine but when you give it gas it boggs smokes crackles and pops i done a leak test around all the seals with carb cleaner and i got no idle diffrence im ready to burn it

perhaps post a new thread so we can help you better:)
tors issue?

Forget a jet kit, they seldom contain jets of the correct sizes, or sizes that are usefull.

Buy individual genuine jets only.

The FMF alone calls for a #260, any other mods or pre mixed fuel will need larger main jets.

List all the mods, your elevation and average temperatures.