2 stroke or 4 stroke looking into getting an ATV

msm15

Apr 20, 2010
Hi guys I am looking into getting an ATV, my extensive knowledge so far are limited to smaller 2 cycle - weed wacker 30 cc sized on one end, and volvo 850 and s70 engines (96-98) on the other. Not much else in between.

I dont mind doing work on the quad and therefore looking at things in the $500-1000 price range. As long as I have a manual and some online support I am game for just about anything.

First - what is more reliable 2 cycle or 4 cycle ?
Second - which are easier to work on ?
Third - what size should I get - I am 5'8 - 140 lbs is a blaster too small ? will it get up to speed (14 tooth gear upgrade) ?

I have ridden before so I am not a total newbee

To start with you guys seem to be at the top for support - I have yet to find other Quad forums that I like.

That being said:

I have come across quite a few Blaster in that price range - mostly 96-02's. The most common problems I have seen in these models were the brakes and top ends.

Are there any other areas I should keep in mind

I dont care much about the brakes - I would replace them with hydraulics

- Top end - whats the deal I see so many rebuilds on the top end ?

I am looking into a 96 blaster bored 60 over with the engine completely rebuilt by a local shop - new jet (??) and clutch he spent $1300- but no brakes and tires are shot. hes looking for $750 - but there is a decent amount of rust - no grips.

There was no more then 30 hrs of riding since the rebuild - he wasnt told to do any specific break in just to ride it lightly. He parked it last summer - didnt drain anything, started it up a little while ago and it smoked like crazy took it for a ride and it bogged out a couple of times.

is this normal if the fluids were not drained I would assume after a rebuild you would have to do some tuning soon after the initial riding.

Also what does 60 over translate into ? I know there is a post here on that but I couldnt quite figure it out. is 60 over really only .60 ?

Sorry for the long post but your help is greatly appreciated

welcome to the forums Blasters are a entry level bike and a pretty decent on at that in my opinion, and they are a breeze to work on. if its been bored 60 over then it means that the cylinder is bored .60 thousand of a inch bigger than the stock bore, which could be a good or bad thing, depending on how much you would have to bore out on rebuilds in the future seeing the stock jug can only be bored to .90-.100 over. If you take care of it, it will take care of you. If it has been sitting away first order of business would be to tear down the carb and clean it, specially if it still had full in it when parked, that could be your bogging problem. Also make sure you are running fresh gas/oil mix, and it would probably be a good idea to drain the transmission oil and replace it with fresh.

I'm still in the learning game as well so someone else please chime in to what I missed and fix anything I may have goofed.

Good Luck and welcome to the forum
Levi

2 strokes are easier to work on. i have a 4 stroke and a 2 stroke and my blaster is way easier to work on. but i prefer 2 strokes. but it all depends what kind of riding you do i guess

anything on the reliability of the rebuild ? is it safe to assume the bogging is just because it needs to be cleaned ? He said it rode fine last year.

Also how much do new front tires cost ?

thanks

clean the carb and check the compression it should be in the 120-130 range if it is good then the rebuild should be good. Once you get the carb rebuilt and tuned, do a plug chop and check the jetting before getting out and running it hard.

From my experience, (Im still a noob), 2 stroke is an awesome learning platform and starting platform, and theyre just so cool. I like my 2 stroke.

I would LOVE to have a YFZ450 with fuel injection tho. Thats a nice machine.

From my experience, (Im still a noob), 2 stroke is an awesome learning platform and starting platform, and theyre just so cool. I like my 2 stroke.

I would LOVE to have a YFZ450 with fuel injection tho. Thats a nice machine.

i'd actually say that a "low performance" 4 stroke is the best bet. if you're not ready for a real 2 stroke when it gets up on the pipe it'll take you by surprise lol. if you've got a decent head on your shoulders its fine though. no matter what you get you have to have a certain level of respect for the machine.

i haven't ever ridden a real performance 4 stroke, but i really like the 2 stroke so far, you just have to keep it up on the pipe

If you know nothing a low tech 4stroke such as a 300ex or 400ex, or a warrior would be your best bet. Just gas and go, change your oil as needed and keep you filter clean.

Ya but wheres the fun in that :), lol but he does have a good point, and one that could be cheaper to start out, then make the switch over a a 2smoke if you later decide. I do know that I would much rather ride my blaster than anything else that I have rode so far.

Good Luck
Levi

Ya but wheres the fun in that :), lol but he does have a good point, and one that could be cheaper to start out, then make the switch over a a 2smoke if you later decide. I do know that I would much rather ride my blaster than anything else that I have rode so far.

Good Luck
Levi
Exactly I started out on old xr's.... even managed to blew one up! :eek:
By the time I got into 2strokes it took awhile to get then hang of riding them and tuning, but I enjoy them much more then 4strokes!
Personally I'm glad I didn't start out on a smoker, I would have been blowing them up left and right, and I would probobly hate them!

Thanks for all the input guys, no decision yet but I will probably do a compression test on it and see where it goes from there.

Anyone have anything to say on the price $750 ? I know its hard to tell with out any pics but for the rebuilt engine clutch and assuming its in half decent shape ?

thanks all

Personaly for me that is a lot for a blaster,(or anything) but I'm a cheap ass. As long as the build is still good and is in good working order I think it would be a fair enough price, Also I would try to keep an eye out for something that hasn't been bored out so many times, but that is just me

Personaly for me that is a lot for a blaster,(or anything) but I'm a cheap ass. As long as the build is still good and is in good working order I think it would be a fair enough price, Also I would try to keep an eye out for something that hasn't been bored out so many times, but that is just me

haha yeah I am cheap as well, I wasnt planning on paying more then $600 for something but I am not sure what the prices for these run.

thanks

i think it is a good deal as long as the comp checks out working on them is easy there are very few things that make up the bike but in my opinion there a very reliable bike and the after market parts are almost endless

Around Pennsylvania expect to pay 700 to 1200 for a running blaster. I picked up my blaster blown up for 100$ but Ive put 200$ in it and expect another 100-200 and its still mostly stock. These things are relatively high maintenance but the ease to work on them and very cheap parts make them a great bike to learn and grow on.