2 simple carb questions

gb blaster

Apr 19, 2012
Maryland
Okay so i have two very simple carb questions. So im getting ready to port my blaster an possible bore it so in the next couple weeks (while im saving up) i wanna make sure everthing besides the engine are perfect an maybe upgrade a few things( talking about the carb, reeds, oil injection, An all that)

So first on my list i wanna re clean my carb i know how to thanks to you guys but i have 2 questions.

1. What is the clip postion an how do i check if its correct (stock carb an blaster)

2. Where do i mesure the float level from an two an what should a bone stock blaster mesure?

Answers:

1. Disassemble the slide buy removing the two #0 phillips inside and pulling it apart. Push needle out and see where it is. Is is in the right position? well does it run goos 1/4-WOT. and not hang or surge, or bog? Then it's sounds right stock I believe is 2 or 3 position from top.

2. Search for float adjustment, It's here with pics!

Well actually it kinda doesnt run That great at 1/4 WOT i mean it does but it defintally has a slight bit of bog at low trottle Slick an your talking about the trottle body thing i pull out the top of the cart pull the screws out an move that metal slide arounf the needel up?

An alright ill search it but i dont like the search tool on here i always find everything but what i want but thanks slick

Well actually it kinda doesnt run That great at 1/4 WOT i mean it does but it defintally has a slight bit of bog at low trottle Slick an your talking about the trottle body thing i pull out the top of the cart pull the screws out an move that metal slide arounf the needel up?

An alright ill search it but i dont like the search tool on here i always find everything but what i want but thanks slick

Yes those screws down inside the slide!

Look at Awk08's sig he has a shortcut for the float thing!

i found it in his sig an so im thinking about pulling the reed cage off awk said i put the copper hi temp perma gasket on the intake and the gasket i belive but i cant remember Where do i put that an as long as there nto chipped or laying flat against the cage my reeds are fine right? An if i wanna replace them whick im thinking off.... i guess ill see when i take it off but do i replace the whole cage as one unit or can i replace the reed them self?

i found it in his sig an so im thinking about pulling the reed cage off awk said i put the copper hi temp perma gasket on the intake and the gasket i belive but i cant remember Where do i put that an as long as there nto chipped or laying flat against the cage my reeds are fine right? An if i wanna replace them whick im thinking off.... i guess ill see when i take it off but do i replace the whole cage as one unit or can i replace the reed them self?

That was painful to read.

Yes I removed my intake and reed cage and WASN'T using the cometic intake gaskets then I would put a bead very light around the gasket where the cage and the cylinder meet both sides.

If the reeds are good flat, no breaks, cracks, chips, then yes they are good to go. yes you can replace the reed petals very easy to do, just use blue locktight when you put those screws back in.

you measure from where the bowl gasket sits (make sure the gasket is off when measuring) to the top of the float... like this. this float is set at 21mm so you can tell what its suppose to look like...
photo-1.jpg

Sorry Bout that slick ill slow down next time an try an write more clear but thanks.

So i noticed theres alot of carb an top end checks like theres compresssion tests an plug chops an all that to test if the top end an carb are running good.

How do you check your Bottom end?

Sorry Bout that slick ill slow down next time an try an write more clear but thanks.

So i noticed theres alot of carb an top end checks like theres compresssion tests an plug chops an all that to test if the top end an carb are running good.

How do you check your Bottom end?

A leak test will tell you if the two bottom halves are sealed, as well as the crank area. The other section of the bottom end you will know if it leaks by tranny fluid or whatever oil that ya use. That should be changed often, I'd say every 30-50 or so hours is how I do it. Usually five-six times a season so buy four quarts and have enough to do six changes. pretty simple 650ML per change!

Yeah i mean i know how to change oil an all ive done it twice in the 10-15 hours ive put on the bike pluse the intial change when i first brought it home

I was just making sure i didnt need to look into the bottom end further then the leakdown tester an all i will allready be doing thanks slick....

Anything else you think i should take a look into besides spark an make sure the carbs getting enough fuel. i want to fix anything an everything i might need to now so that when the ported cylender an modded head get done i can rejet an an have a perfect running machine (or thats my hope)

Yeah i mean i know how to change oil an all ive done it twice in the 10-15 hours ive put on the bike pluse the intial change when i first brought it home

I was just making sure i didnt need to look into the bottom end further then the leakdown tester an all i will allready be doing thanks slick....

Anything else you think i should take a look into besides spark an make sure the carbs getting enough fuel. i want to fix anything an everything i might need to now so that when the ported cylender an modded head get done I can rejet an an have a perfect running machine (or thats my hope)

If you have a perfectly clean carb, new or clean air filter, new plug, reed and cage good, no air leaks, proper oil fill, Good premix and 93+ gas. jetted good- You can check the stator coils make sure they ohm out good, as well as the ignition coil and plug! Can't hurt to check and write down the numbers you get, for reference later. Also write down jetting numbers to have for later, you would be suprized how many don't remember what they have in there carbs!

how do i check the stator an coil im not gonna lie to you i know what the coil is but have no idea what the sator is or even what it does.

An i will write everything down an probly post it.an i always use supreme pump gas mixed 32/1 8 onces of oil to 2 gallons of gas.

Fresh ngk br8es pluggs my bikes fouls them alot tho so i have to carry alot of those idk i think i could be running rich i havent chopped it tho because i didnt know how so i was learning an then i decided to wait an get a pipe first

Filter was clean when i put it in brand new like maybe 5 hours or at most 10 hours of riding i plan on buying another new one tho as i dont know how to clean an oil them properly

An my ignition wored when i first got the bike but my buddy unplugged it without my permission we dont talk anymore so idk where he unplugged it or how to fix it but i think that everything u said.

how do i check the stator an coil im not gonna lie to you i know what the coil is but have no idea what the sator is or even what it does.

An i will write everything down an probly post it.an i always use supreme pump gas mixed 32/1 8 onces of oil to 2 gallons of gas.

Fresh ngk br8es pluggs my bikes fouls them alot tho so i have to carry alot of those idk i think i could be running rich i havent chopped it tho because i didnt know how so i was learning an then i decided to wait an get a pipe first
Filter was clean when i put it in brand new like maybe 5 hours or at most 10 hours of riding i plan on buying another new one tho as i dont know how to clean an oil them properly

An my ignition wored when i first got the bike but my buddy unplugged it without my permission we dont talk anymore so idk where he unplugged it or how to fix it but i think that everything u said.

Yes you are rich if your fouling plugs! Or too much premix but sounds correct to me 4oz a gallon.
check out my sig and click on the 88-02 troubleshooting and unplug the stator from the wire harness, they are color coated and you can't mess that up unless your color blind~:p

Ignition wire is orange, the coil wire and sparkplug cap go on the plug, the coil is bolted to frame with the harness ground!

I am slightly color blind but i could accomplish that an yeah its the jettting it has to be i measure them both percisly 8oz to 2 gollons of gas goood 2 stroke oil supreme pump gas.

An my bike is an 03 ?