1998 yamaha blaster wont idle!

well then.
the main jet and pilot is not the issue.might even a bit more with lid off/pre mixed and elavation/temp.
goto forums/engine/carb/post new thread section please./or general support:)
cuz even more experts will elaborate your issues:)
tors eliminated?

Reactions: Charliemack05
Ok so I just got a 99 blaster... Runs real rough and just off in 1st and 2nd gear by 3rd power and comes immediately and fourth fifth and sixth seemed to run ok! I'm completely new to this Blaster tors technology but I've successfully disabled mine by unplugging all three plugs it has an FMF fatty pipe and it had a stock 230 jet but I knew that was a No-No the minute I started reading about it I got one from Ebay that was a 260 and these are the problems I'm experiencing I have even dropped 2 a 240 and problem still the same???? I'm wondering if it is a pilot jet issue?? There is a screw stripped in the slide so I can't check the needle clip settings and it has a stock pilot 32 - 5 have not done a leak down test or compression test was hoping that was cleaning the carburetor and trying to find air fuel mixture setting which I can not the screw absolutely does nothing except when I close it it will kill the engine my reeds are in good shape and I am completely stumped as to why this thing is running like this

Ok so I just got a 99 blaster... Runs real rough and just off in 1st and 2nd gear by 3rd power and comes immediately and fourth fifth and sixth seemed to run ok! I'm completely new to this Blaster tors technology but I've successfully disabled mine by unplugging all three plugs it has an FMF fatty pipe and it had a stock 230 jet but I knew that was a No-No the minute I started reading about it I got one from Ebay that was a 260 and these are the problems I'm experiencing I have even dropped 2 a 240 and problem still the same???? I'm wondering if it is a pilot jet issue?? There is a screw stripped in the slide so I can't check the needle clip settings and it has a stock pilot 32 - 5 have not done a leak down test or compression test was hoping that was cleaning the carburetor and trying to find air fuel mixture setting which I can not the screw absolutely does nothing except when I close it it will kill the engine my reeds are in good shape and I am completely stumped as to why this thing is running like this

So if I understand your long winded question, the bike runs rough in 1st/2nd gear correct? Does it run like that in the low RPM's, up to 1/2 throttle, or through the entire RPM range?

So if I understand your long winded question, the bike runs rough in 1st/2nd gear correct? Does it run like that in the low RPM's, up to 1/2 throttle, or through the entire RPM range?
Seems to be like through the entire rpm range almost like it's just rough and not right then 3 shudders a sec till power band

Seems to be like through the entire rpm range almost like it's just rough and not right then 3 shudders a sec till power band
It's been a while since I have worked on 2 stroke Motors and I knew immediately I wanted to get the tors out of the way so that is the first thing I did I have yet to look at the stator and further investigate that I was just hoping that it was something simple LOL

It's been a while since I have worked on 2 stroke Motors and I knew immediately I wanted to get the tors out of the way so that is the first thing I did I have yet to look at the stator and further investigate that I was just hoping that it was something simple LOL
The spark plug is wet and dark brown when I pulled to look seems Rich to me but I am already two and a half turns on the air fuel I'm wondering if a pilot jet change would be in order

You need to get yourself a new plug and do a proper plug chop. Don't just look at the tip of the plug. You'll have to cut away a good size chunk of the threads to see what color the insulator is all the way down.

At least I think that's what the white part is called lol.

Reactions: Charliemack05
Start simple. How's the air filter? Air box on or off? What happens with the bike ideling and you pull the choke OUT?
I have a brand new air filter, air box is closed, snorkel is off the bike has never idle and I have yet to try pulling the choke. I have pulled the plug to take a look and that's when I discovered the brown wet plug a darker color not exactly black

You need to get yourself a new plug and do a proper plug chop. Don't just look at the tip of the plug. You'll have to cut away a good size chunk of the threads to see what color the insulator is all the way down.

At least I think that's what the white part is called lol.
Just seems strange to me that the air fuel screw does nothing in either direction except when closing cuts the motor. Everything I have read said if you get a response from air fuel after two and a half turns out if you're in that range or higher it could be a pilot jet issue

I have a brand new air filter, air box is closed, snorkel is off the bike has never idle and I have yet to try pulling the choke. I have pulled the plug to take a look and that's when I discovered the brown wet plug a darker color not exactly black

The motor is definitely running rich. The plug should be a cardboard color.

You stated you have the air screw is 2 1/2 turns out correct? The more you turn out, does it run better? Or no difference?

What's your elevation? The higher you are, the SMALLER jets you'll need. Smaller main, pilot. Generaerly if you're more then 3+ turns out on the air screw you have the wrong pilot. Drop down to a 30 and see what happens. Pilot controls idle to 1/8th throttle.

well then.
the main jet and pilot is not the issue.might even a bit more with lid off/pre mixed and elavation/temp.
goto forums/engine/carb/post new thread section please./or general support:)
cuz even more experts will elaborate your issues:)
tors eliminated?
What's your elevation? The higher you are, the SMALLER jets you'll need. Smaller main, pilot. Generaerly if you're more then 3+ turns out on the air screw you have the wrong pilot. Drop down to a 30 and see what happens. Pilot controls idle to 1/8th throttle.

I'm in Florida.... Im at sea level or below.... I was thinking the pilot jet was the issue... Its a stock 32.5 so I will drop it to a 30 and definitely update

The motor is definitely running rich. The plug should be a cardboard color.

You stated you have the air screw is 2 1/2 turns out correct? The more you turn out, does it run better? Or no difference?
Well I haven't really turned it more than two and three quarters and I did not notice a difference at all it was like it was doing nothing

Well I haven't really turned it more than two and three quarters and I did not notice a difference at all it was like it was doing nothing
OKAY UPDATE Ok so I put the 240 Jett in also flipped the reeds and it was doing the same thing, I was so bummed I just went to bed got up this morning and decided to bring a screwdriver with me and start really getting into turning the air fuel screw to just see at least what it would do I got it about three and a quarter turns out which was way too far and it barely was responding so I got frustrated and just went ahead and opened it up wide open throttle through 6 gear on a good long stretch when I pulled the clutch it started idling very very high so I back that screw down to 2 turns out and low and behold in 5 sec or so it started to idle down?! So I was intrigued to say the least, and took off and it hit power and in first and second almost lifting the front end..... Its pretty confusing as it is responding now like you said it should..... I almost suspect something changed w/o my doing I'm wondering if that kill switch being jacked up could be causing a issue?

if airscrew has no affect when you turn it
then it is the idle that is out of whack or jet sizes in a perfect world.
close airscrew to the right then back it out to the left 1 1/2 turns.
then adjust idle a few times and see if that changes anything.

there is numerous threads on here about idle adjust, float height everything
about carb,and troubleshooting
have a look around:)

Last edited:
hi everyone,new to forum blaster help needed. built 5 blaster engines now but always have trouble jetting.its been bored 60 over and has namura piston .been ported and polished .high compression head aftermarket header stock carb had a 35 pilot and I believe it was a 360 main.cant get it to idle and its smoking after build is it burning the lube from crank case?any help would be appreciated