1998 yamaha blaster wont idle!

BigRat71

Mar 21, 2012
my blaster wont idle.. the idle screw under the seat has no effect on it and i can not figure out why it wont idle.. any tips?

This happend to my old blaster. It came out to be that a reed petal was broke. so check your petals and report back.

um im need to working on atvs but i know basic stuff but whats the reed petal? iv looked at the reeds to see if they were broken but they werent? and yes i can idle it with my thumb but as soon as i stop giving it gas it dies...

o thanks i have tons of questions and i figured this is a great way to get help ..

Sounds like something broken in that TORS box (part where the idle screw is at)! take it all apart, as stated above clean the carb by removing all parts and using carb cleaner then compressed air, check float level 20 -21.5mm then put back together adjust the air screw(little brass slotted screw) on the filter side to 1.5 turns out! Fix any broken parts and try to get the idle again.

wait HOW DID YOURS TURN OUT???? and the reeds are not broken... and the air screw is ajusted.. and i cleaned that carb recently but i took apart the TORS box where the idle adjust screw is and it had water in it? some how!? and it is rusted.... so i think thats the problem ...

A clogged pilot jet would keep it from idling, yet it would run fine otherwise. When you cleaned the carb did you make sure the pilot jet was clean and free of debris?

I am new to this Forum but I need to resurrect this post. The 2005 Blaster I recently purchased has the same problem. I removed and cleaned the carb as well as putting both new main and pilot jets into the carb but same problem. It starts easily on choke and goes to half choke with no problems but will not come off the choke and idle. You can keep it running with the thumb throttle enough to ride it around a bit but does not go to more throttle easily. It you really have it on the pipe (riding it at high rpm’s) it will run around fine but not so much at ¼ throttle or less. Not sure what to do next. Any help would be appreciated. Is there an issue with the TORS device?

Thanks in advance for the help guys!!!

start a new thread for more input.o_O
but.
airscrew setting?
main jet?#
pilot jet?#
stock carb?
post pics/of your carb you would be surprised what we will see wrong:D
premixed or oil injected?
spark plug?
reeds are fully closing?
compression reading?

start a new thread for more input.o_O
but.
airscrew setting? 1 1/2 turns out
main jet?# 240
pilot jet?# 35
stock carb? yes
post pics/of your carb you would be surprised what we will see wrong:D
premixed or oil injected? premix
spark plug? BR8ES
reeds are fully closing? not sure
compression reading?

FMF pipe and silencer. Guy told me it was bored out 50 over. I can put the 32.5 back in the carb but it did the same thing before being cleaned too.

just with the fmf pipe.
it should be around a 280main jeto_O
air box lid on or off?
pre mixed or oil injected?
carb floats might be getting stuck or not adjuste properly.
comp test it :)

carb plus idle 1 1 1 big 1.jpg

just with the fmf pipe.
it should be around a 280main jeto_O The 280 main was in it when I bought it. I thought that sounded a bit too large but I can put that back in it.
air box lid on or off? Off
pre mixed or oil injected? Premix
carb floats might be getting stuck or not adjuste properly.
comp test it :)