1994 Blaster - No Spark

CoryPro

May 24, 2010
Hey guys. I'm having some issues with a blaster I just bought for my fiancee and was hoping you could give me some insight on what you think it may be.

I bought the ATV from a guy who said he had no spark. The story was that he rode it all last summer without any problems, then took it out of the garage in April to tune it up and it had a weak/no spark. I bought the bike and did a tear down of all the electrical units. It didn't have a headlamp, tail lamp, dimmer switch, main switch, or engine stop switch. I tested all the existing units with an ohm meter and suspected the cdi unit and charge coil to be dead. I ordered from a bulk auction all the electrical units for a 94 blaster which came will all the formentioned switches above and a control unit. Since it supposedly ran before I decided to just swap out the parts that I knew I needed. After swapping out the lighting and charge coils and cdi unit, I kicked it over and it started first try.

This was about 3 weeks ago. I took it out and rode it on 3 occasions for no more than 15 minutes just to test it out before I felt comfortable letting her use it. This past weekend we took the ATV to the cabin and rode it. We took it pretty easy but tested it on some hills and pushed it on some straights and everything was great. When driving on a straight after accelerating slowly and shifting from second to third gear, after about 3 seconds the ATV completely quit out on me. At this point, we had been on it for about 2 hours and checked the obvious things. The gas tank was still practically full and assumed it was the clutch since we had some small problems earlier in the day but soon ruled that out when we started pushing the ATV back and reached a hill. My girl mounted the ATV, started riding down the hill and as she picked up speed, let go of the clutch in first and the bike sounded like it started, but when you gave it gas nothing happened. After an hour and a half walk back to the cabin (uphill), I did another tear down and quickly found out that it had no spark AGAIN.

With the lack of tools, I was limited with what I could check so I'll have to head down next weekend armed with all my electrical units, service manual, and your ideas so we can get this thing going again.

Thanks in advance for your input.

i think it could be as simple as removing the tors system.
its a throttle override system that is known to cause issues . try unplugging the switch that comes from the carb top.

also if you had the stator wiring apart look in there and make sure the solder didnt come loose. if it looks burnt in there it probably blew out a coil

could you get a pic of where the coil attaches to the frame and all the wires in that area and i might be able to help

I wish I could but I won't have access to the ATV for at least another week. I know the wiring of the blaster off the top of my head and could draw it out and scan it in. I've double checked all the grounds and all the connectors just incase one may have slipped out but everything was just fine. I also disconnected it all and reconnected it to just be sure.

i think it could be as simple as removing the tors system.
its a throttle override system that is known to cause issues . try unplugging the switch that comes from the carb top.

I've been reading alot about the tors system and I figured this would be the first thing I would look at when I get a chance to take a look at the ATV. I had to take the throttle assembly apart to clean it up and paint it during the "rebuild" and saw something interesting. I saw one black wire in the throttle case on the handlebars and it uses the same wire casing as the throttle cable but it doesn't connect to anything on the top of the carb so I would assume they already disconnected it.

thats exactly what i was gonna look for it happened to me last weekend lol

I can see where you guys are coming from as I also suspected this to be the culprit when I had the flywheel cover off. I didn't have a socket set with me at the time to take off the flywheel and confirm this but I think it would be a safe bet to say it may have come off some how.

did u put a new plug in it it might be shorting out

Brand new plug. It only had 2 hours on it when it died out. When I pulled the plug there was no carbon build up or any signs of wear at all. I also tried a brand new plug to be sure and still had no spark.

I've been reading alot about the tors system and I figured this would be the first thing I would look at when I get a chance to take a look at the ATV. I had to take the throttle assembly apart to clean it up and paint it during the "rebuild" and saw something interesting. I saw one black wire in the throttle case on the handlebars and it uses the same wire casing as the throttle cable but it doesn't connect to anything on the top of the carb so I would assume they already disconnected it.

ok that may be your problem it might not be fully removed the a lil plug that going into the top of the carb unplug that to and see what happens

Just to confirm:

The tors is located inside the throttle cable and is a wire that runs parallel with the cable? The only wire that connects to the top of the carb is the throttle cable. Here are some pics taken from other ATV's, I've just highlighted the only part that connects to my carb. There are no other wires.

1_101.jpg

2_8.jpg

3_36.jpg

Thanks for the DIY link. It seems that the people who owned this ATV before me already did this. I do not have that module at all. The only 3 modules I have are the CDI unit, Voltage regulator, and ignition coil.

Hey guys!

I just wanted to say thanks for all the quick responses and helpful tips. When I got out to the cabin this past weekend I took off the stator plate and low and behold, the solder on the charge coil broke free. I repositioned it and ran a secondary wire to the point where it broke (as a backup) and soldered it all back in place.

It's running great! I rode for about 8 hours on the weekend and had an absolute blast!

Thanks again everyone!