1979 yz250 for 100 bucks :D

heres a lil update on this thing, got a ongin electrical issue, cannot get spark, it will sometimes get spark, then not, the cdi is good, not shure on the stator, i am not shure where to start, my dad has been goin thru everything with little luck :/ i'm hoping its just a bad wire.... i'v also been thinkin, i am gonna keep this thing all together for a while after when get it going, but i think the engine on this would be freakin beast in a offroad go kart :D i have more than enough parts to build a sick go kart with blaster suspension and a yz 250 engine.......

Def check all your grounds and make sure they are against bare metal. You could also try cutting the stock plug wire back 1/8" and screwing the spark plug boot back in for a good connection there. Time corrodes connections. Most likely it's the old stator going bad but check the wires where they bolt on it for corrosion too you might luck out.

Def check all your grounds and make sure they are against bare metal. You could also try cutting the stock plug wire back 1/8" and screwing the spark plug boot back in for a good connection there. Time corrodes connections. Most likely it's the old stator going bad but check the wires where they bolt on it for corrosion too you might luck out.

yah, once i get some spare time i plan to do both of those things and see what happens, i am hoping for the best :D

hopefully there is one! Is there any alternative stators that would fit from different bikes?

79 yz400 and maybe the IT 250 and 400? i also just made an add on marls vintage swapmeet, should get a bite from there, lotsa people part em out on there...

i'm gonna be mad if i don't find a stator at the swapmeet, or any other deals cause i am missing the first open ride of the season at the local track for this.......

well, got good and bad news, couldn't find a stator, but we found a guy that told us some stuff to try to get spark, we found a freakin brand new seat for 35 bucks! new pegs, and i got some new used gear, so all in all this vintage swap meet was great... pics in a few

2012-03-18150946.jpg

2012-03-18150958.jpg

I gotta say, IMO, that pipe looks awful - doesn't look right and not period correct... but that's just me. To each their own.

Great job on the restore though. Mad respect on the effort and dedication and drive. Great job. Get that thing burning and lets see how it does. I have a soft spot for the old Yamahas, but im more of a fan of big blue bikes (My ITs) although I would love to find me another TT500 (had a 79 years ago).

Should be a runner. Those old 250s were serious and still today, for an air cooled 250, it will get up and boogie.

correct me if I am wrong here, but that's a 4-speed, right? or was that just for the 400 and up of the time? I know the 400, 465 and 490 YZs were 4 speed and the same (respectively) ITs were 5-speeds with heavy cranks and flywheels for trail.

- Justin

- Justin

awesome man, i'd love to see some pics of it! tomoro goin to the vintage swap meet, plan on gettin there as the gates open so i can get the early deals
I will post pics of my ts 250 tomorrow its pretty rough but hey its a work in progress :)