125 Blaster

Ditchbanger741

Apr 25, 2010
MN
Anyone put a 125 dirtbike motor into a blaster frame? I got a 2007 RM 125 that I am gonna be parting out and have found a few rolling blasters for dirt cheap. Was wondering if it would be worth it. I'm not afraid of a challenge and just figure since I have a freshly rebuilt motor with all wiring, cooling, exhaust, and fuel systems. Also anyone know the length of the front shocks eye to eye for a blaster?

it would be fun, but it'd be pretty dead if its not on the pipe. if you do this, make sure to document it!

A 125 has sh*t for torque. I've riden a new KTM sx125 and it would only make power in high RPM's. My RM250 is so much easier to ride. At least find a 250 engine if you are going to do it. The extra weight of an ATV chassis is going to kill that engine.

Only reason I am thinking of doing it is I have a 2007 rm 125 motor just sitting around and instead of waiting to sell the motor on ebay thought maybe it would make a fun little ditch hopper and back up machine for my yfz 450. And since I am setting up the YFZ with motowoz XC shocks in the front I am planing on using the stock YFZ shocks on the blaster. Looking at doing a budget build, or if I had the $$$ for a diff. motor i think i would go with a 250f. I'm not a big speed freak so if i need to do some sprocket changes to get it to be a little wheelie popper/ditch hopper then thats fine. Just wondering how hard this will be and if its worth it. And if anyone has any advice or tips that would be great! And if someone can point me in the right direction for doing frame mods for this to hold up in so jumping that would be great!

125???
ghey.gif

because most of the 125's put out twice the power of the blaster 200.......displacement is not the be all end all in power

It should be though.

I mean, in theory, anything you can do to a 125cc 2stroke you can do to a 200cc 2stroke to make power (short of increasing revs beyond a certain realm due to rod ratio)

Seems like it would be more beneficial to sell the 125cc engine and do work to the blaster engine to get it up to par.

So youre saying a 125cc engine makes more than 20hp? A FMF Piped and airbox removed, jetted blaster will make something like 25 according to several dynos Ive seen layin around.

a stock 125 makes 30-35ish...
by thie time its in a quad frame turning heavy tires and an axle take 10hp away...

I would just build a blaster.... you can easily make 45 reliable hp..... granted the builder knows what hes doing.

yeah, damn. I just did a google search. Google says in 95 they got 40hp.

Thats more than a honda 250r engine does stock.

That kinda makes me lose some faith in yamaha on the blaster. Its kinda depressing.

the blaster was designed to be an intermediate level CHEAP quad. the engineers probably NEVER thought people would be doing with them what they're doing now.

even if you take 10 horses away, the stock motor puts out as much as a mildly worked blaster motor.....so you start modding that 125 and things will get really fun. big bore kits...strokers, whatever

the 125 will lack some torque....but if you like your revs (you ride a 2 stroke....so i'm guessing you do) it'd be a lot of fun.

yeah, damn. I just did a google search. Google says in 95 they got 40hp.

Thats more than a honda 250r engine does stock.

That kinda makes me lose some faith in yamaha on the blaster. Its kinda depressing.
Its quads in general.. A ktm 450sx makes 60 something in a bike, the quad bearly makes 50. Quads are detuned and also have to push alot more weight.

Well if kx80berger dont buy the motor and that blaster roller is still available i am gonna do it. As for power its like to me its like looking at a 660 fan motor compared to a 440 liquid. You can just build more power out of a tight running liquid compared to an economy fan. My 125 motor has Boyesen Rage Cage, full FMF system (i will get it to fit!) and everything internally new! I have a few KN filter pods laying around that will fit right on the carb so it should have no problem breathing! If i do this build, anyone got any good deals on suspension parts? Like +3 +1 A arms or a +3 HD swinger? Wanna build on a budget! In about a month i will have my new front for my 450 so the shocks from that are gonna go on the blaster..... Anyone know if a Showa Rear for a RM 125 will fit a blaster swinger?