12 port trail ported cylinder

Jan 27, 2008
north nj
heres pics of the triple exhaust port job i finished up today on the stock cylinder that will go on my trail blasty, its also adjusted for a +3 crank

051.jpg

053-2.jpg

056-1.jpg

057.jpg

I have a concern here...

The size of the triple exhaust ports and their proximity to the primary transfer ports. The porting work looks great, but in the process of "squaring" those triple exhaust ports, you got a little close to the transfers. Recommended distance between the low pressure exhaust port and high pressure transfer is 3.5mm to prevent charge short-circuiting. While on an heavily ported cylinder it's not always possible to keep the ports 3.5mm apart, your primary transfers and triple exhaust ports look like they are less than 1mm apart. What's worse, the primary transfers are the ones with the roofs angled upwards so the charge is already curled up towards that port.

Charge short-circuiting isn't the end of the world and won't cause any immediate damage or anything, you're not seeing the full benefit of the blow-down port area if the transfer is pushing half its charge out into the head pipe without burning it.

theres some pics i can actually see last night on the chat bar. But werent you runnin a 240 on the trail snail before why switch? 240 just un usable in a trail or bugdet.

Damn! Great work! I'm very curious of how it'll run. Hopefully civic's concerns work out just fine. I:I

i think it looks awsome! i cant wait for an assdyno report.. im wondering if the intake wormholes are better straight or angled up or down? also those exhaust ports are huge! do you start from the inside of the cylinder and then work towards the hole from the other side or start from the exhaust side and work towards the cylinder?

I have a concern here...

The size of the triple exhaust ports and their proximity to the primary transfer ports. The porting work looks great, but in the process of "squaring" those triple exhaust ports, you got a little close to the transfers. Recommended distance between the low pressure exhaust port and high pressure transfer is 3.5mm to prevent charge short-circuiting. While on an heavily ported cylinder it's not always possible to keep the ports 3.5mm apart, your primary transfers and triple exhaust ports look like they are less than 1mm apart. What's worse, the primary transfers are the ones with the roofs angled upwards so the charge is already curled up towards that port.

Charge short-circuiting isn't the end of the world and won't cause any immediate damage or anything, you're not seeing the full benefit of the blow-down port area if the transfer is pushing half its charge out into the head pipe without burning it.

im kinda following u man, i know i got a little close to the transfer buts it is still well over 1mm away...and thats only bcause while shaping it out of course i slipped and nicked the cylinder so i had to take it down abit more..which i new was gonna put it real close to the transfer...no biggie...if it runs like crap..simple i get another cylinder and try again lol...thanx everyone

It won't run like crap and I didn't mean to make it sound like that.

My concern is that you won't realize the FULL value of your work because some of the primary transfer charge is going straight out the exhaust pipe.

There's not much to be done about it however, if the size of the triples was dictated by a "slip" and the work needed to clean it up.

The work looks top notch!

It won't run like crap and I didn't mean to make it sound like that.

My concern is that you won't realize the FULL value of your work because some of the primary transfer charge is going straight out the exhaust pipe.

There's not much to be done about it however, if the size of the triples was dictated by a "slip" and the work needed to clean it up.

The work looks top notch!

thanx alot man...i have 2 more cylinders that will be ported in time...im gonna see how this one acts..and mabe change a few things on the next one...i would like u to help map out a cylinder for me and what u think would be ideal to do...civic u have always been on ur game bro and invaluable to this forumI:I

ports look great freek! great job dude I:I

cant wait to hear how she runs :)

thanx man...looks good but i will be rolling the dice when it comes to how she will peform lol...looking for a lucky 7 :eek:

when i did the triples on my sons cylinder it lost quite abit of bottom end but has incredable screaming powerband...not that he gets into powerband that much thank god lol...but i have a few other goodies to go with this setup that he doesnt have