$100.00 scrap Blaster turned into Rebuild

Aug 21, 2014
Hello I am Carlo
Im new to atv's and 2 strokes the last time was in 1990 and it was my x80 . I go this blaster from a friend who was going to just scrap it he knew nothing about it at all so I took a chance and bought it . I don't know what year it is . but I think its a 1999-2002 and the last few digits of vin are wore away from the boot . I didn't find this forum until I was all most done with the build and did not talke any pictures of it when I got it (I wish I had) but it was COMPLETELY spray painted flat black really poorly , no air filter or cage , been setting for 3+ years , all the tires were flat , the exhaust had a fence post for a baffle
2014-08-22 13.29.51.jpg
, no clutch cable , no breaks but hard to tell because the shifter was completely seized and it was in 1st gear & motor was locked so you could not even roll it .. So my plan was to tare it down and part it out . So I started to tare it down and pressure wash it with hot water and most of the paint came off the frame and all of it came off the plastic and the plastic look pretty good No cracks at all and very few scratches.
2014-07-27 09.17.01.jpg

So I started with the motor tare down when I pulled the clutch cover off and find this
Interesting thing the clutch boss broke and was causing the motor to lock up by 1 of the clutch springs and bolt to hit the clutch cover
2014-08-22 13.24.03.jpg

and now the motor spins free and seams to have good compression . Now to the shifer problem . I pulled the shift shaft out and found it is bent and the transmission shifts perfect .Turns out it the cain poped off at some time and broke the crank case where the shifter comes out of the case but someome did a beautiful weld job on it
2014-08-22 13.25.08.jpg
no oil leakes on it but it was a little off center was binding the shifter so I got a new shift shaft for 40$ , shaft seal 10$, clutch cover gasket 15$ , and 1 rat tail file 15$ so I could file the right side of the crank case( because the left side has the oil seal )and filed it a little at a time trying the shifter after every few files untill I took the bind out of the shifter. installed the new shifter oil seal , new shift shaft and now it works perfect . I flushed the motor out 4 times to make sure there was no shavings in it from me . I got a new oem clutch boss for 30$ , a Tusk clutch kit 40$ cleaned the carb and the tank and gave her 4 kicks and it came to life iding good and reving good . So i got a new clutch cable 20$ , full Pro Circuit Platinum pipe 120$ , nerf bars 50$ , + 4° timing adavnce 20$ , fly hand grips blue 10$ , Dyno jet stage 2 using a 360 jet 55$ .. I am still waiting for my K&N air filter to get here .. Here are some pictures
2014-08-22 13.28.10.jpg

I know it was not smart to do but I ran it yesterday with no air filter on road only for the first time it has pretty good power it weelies easy but past 1/2 throttle it loses all power let off it and hit the throttle and it wheelies until 1/2 throttle and all power goes away !!!!!
Can anyone tell me Why is this going on . Did i do something wrong ???

Last edited:
Reactions: Awk08
So I have a grand total of $580.00 in this atv should I stop here and sell it or keep put a little more money in it

Welcome and well done on the build!

Have you leak tested for air leaks?

Did you do heat cycles and re tension the nuts before riding?

Is there an air filter fitted?

still reading but, i would get rid of that fuel filter,there is one in the tank,do compression test,leak test,make sure clutch cable is not to tight and throttle slide is going all the way up.Does it rev all the way when you are parked still?
year calculater pic plus ex1 1 1.jpg

Reactions: PRChrist
Thank you
I never split the cases or took the jug and head off so I did not heat cycle it didn't think I had to
no leak down test done

im not sure about dyno jets but 360 main is HUGE
your compression may be low find a comp tester and check it 30 bucks at auto parts store do not buy a harbor freight one:)

Reactions: carlo virtuoso
This is what the vin looks like not good can reed up till 10th digit

Attachments

• 20140822_175258.jpg
    20140822_175258.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 294
Also there was no air filter when I tested it. the chain & sprockets has recently been replaced and the chain guys are okay

2014-08-22 18.22.10.jpg
leakdown test ?
set float height: http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/float-heights-and-how-to-adjust-them.50565/
adjust airscrew: http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/adjusting-your-airscrew-pilot-jet.51060/

360 main is way too large for that pipe ?
typically 270-310
plug chop for main jetting:
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/how-to-plug-chop.53237/

and welcome to BF Carlos !
nice restoration

Ok thts is what it had for instructions I hope it is clear enough for you to read I live in Florida