1/4 throttle flutter...

mjgnslngr

Dec 11, 2011
Vermont
www.facebook.com
most of us riding 2 strokes know there is a off-idler flutter with the reeds. mine is no different but, since jetting ive noticed this flutter has become worse. off idle thru 1/4-1/2 throttle. is doesnt seem to Ease into the power-band area, more like it Hits it hard! any ideas or thoughts???

i just rejetted for a new pipe, with the needle in the stock position it was a little lean when i did a 1/2 throttle plug chop. moved the clip down one and got it spot on with the plug chops. the throttle DID feel better richening it that one. if its fluttering, do you think its still lean??? plug chops look great though.

so what carb is this on? does it run well in the rest of the ranges?

sorry, on the blasty, mods in sig. no lid with uni. Boyeson dual stage reeds. its great thru the rest of the range, not flutter once you get past that small spot just of idle. only cruising does it do it. like i said, its the normal 2 stroke flutter just alot more pronounced.

Did you set the float level before you started this process? I know it sounds like a silly question but it could be the answer to your problems actually.

The mainjet screws into a small tube filled with lots of holes. That tube is called the emulsion tube. The emulsion tube shouldn't be covered in gasoline when your engine is idling. If the float level is set incorrectly, that tube will have its holes covered up. When you engine begins to delivery the vacuum signal, the fuel delivery will be a large slug of unmixed gasoline followed by the correct mixture or fuel and air delivered into the carb throat.

sorry, on the blasty, mods in sig. no lid with uni. Boyeson dual stage reeds. its great thru the rest of the range, not flutter once you get past that small spot just of idle. only cruising does it do it. like i said, its the normal 2 stroke flutter just alot more pronounced.

Be nice to know what size and make of the carb you are running.

LOL I asked already... I'm assuming by his response up above that it's the stock VM26. It doesn't REALLY matter what size and brand it is as long as he's only looking for general help and not specific numbers Basically every 2 stroke carb works the same way.

it was set from previous. i didnt change anything other than the main and needle while it was on the bike. ill check it again just to rule it out. it feels like its surging at a fixed 1/4 throttle. when i did the 1/2 throttle plug chop, i messed with the throttle stop and put it at 1/4. when i held it, it was surging or fluttering... dont know if im explaining that right....

LOL I asked already... I'm assuming by his response up above that it's the stock VM26. It doesn't REALLY matter what size and brand it is as long as he's only looking for general help and not specific numbers Basically every 2 stroke carb works the same way.

I would say it's not stock since he has been asking about the mikuni 34 versus the keihin pj's and pwk's. He was even looking for a 30mm carb at one point. To me it does matter. If he was running a 38mm carb with those mods then that would tell it right there. Yes basic carb info is general but getting the right size carb for the right engine is a must.

Go out and check the float level of the carburetor. Your current jetting suggests that it's not high but just go ahead and make sure. Too much fuel covering the emulsion tube can cause the problem you're describing.