06 Blaster won't rev

B Butler

Jun 28, 2018
Recently picked up a blown 06 Blaster. I've rebuilt both top & bottom end, rebuilt carb with new needles & jets, new plug & plug cap, bypassed TORS, and bypassed parking brake.

The bike fires right up and idles nicely but will not rev much past idle. A couple times I fired it up with throttle pinned and it immediately jumped into high rpms and ran there beautifully until I let it idle back down then it refused to rev back up.

Being that the pilot & main circuits seem fine, I tried both the older 5J22-2 and the newer 5JFJ34-3 jet needles and there was no difference. Reeds also are like new.

And yes the TORS is bypassed (bike dies when I disconnect the yellow jumper) as well the park brake switch is disconnected.

It sure sounds electrical to me.... Thoughts anyone???

Found the problem... On the main wiring harness about 6" from the cdi box some of the wires had chafed thru and were contacting the frame. One of the wires was the parking brake switch wire (green/yellow). So essentially even though I had disconnected the park brake switch, that green/yellow wire in the main harness was grounding out and telling the cdi box that the park brake was on.

Since I was into the main harness, I cut off the green/yellow park brake wire and capped it off (N/O circuit). Also I cut the TORS wire (yellow/black) and tapped it into the black ground wire (N/C circuit
20180629_093238.jpg
20180629_094639.jpg
20180629_093238.jpg 20180629_094639.jpg ).

awesome you found an easy fix and also for reporting your findings.

I have exact same issue. 2003 blaster starts first kick, idles and wont rev up. Same as on video.
I have replaced spark plug, reeds, carburetor, coil, and 3 cheap stators from ebay (I cant believe that all of them are bad).
TORS and parking brake seemed working ok, but I also removed them.
Compression is good.
Only untouched items are cdi and flywheel.

So question is what else can I do before replacing cdi?

And are there any other systems like TORS that can cut ignition?

Does 2 stroke oil level light affect anything?

p.s.
I have tried to unplug all wires including kill switch.
also max rpm is 2200.

Last edited:
idea is it is not bogging, this is like rev limiter.
I seen many videos with tors and parking brake symptoms, and mine sounds the same way.

I found that one guy solved problem by unplugging the kill switch, but it has not worked for me.

what else can put CDI box into limp mode to limit revs on idle?

I have unstripped all wiring and wires look fine.

both tors and parking brake wires are modified close to CDI box.

When I start it is on 1800-2200 rpm and 2200 is limiter. I can decrease it to 1200 by choke. I am pretty sure there are no leaks, but will try to do leak test. (Left side seal is clean, and right side - nothing goes from transmission breather)

Last edited:
Update: I have just tried another CDI box, and no result (used one from older model and wired it to newer wiring). So now I can say problem is not in CDI, tors, brake. This must be 3rd bad stator from ebay/amazon. All the rest was replaced...

Guys, never never never buy new cheap stators from ebay/amazon! My problem was stator!!! I tested with another used oem, and it works good now!!!

Reactions: Larry's Shee