04 warrior no spark

bimmer325es

Aug 21, 2012
i baught a manual but everything it tells me is differen't on mine thought it was a 02 buts its a 04 , no spark when i go to test the stator the plugs are different. anyone know what ones im after let me know please thanks

Ugh, another Warrior with no spark?! Yamaha has had some bad luck with ignition problems on that quad. I bought my old Warrior with no fire, too, and had to get it figured out.

First off, on the Warriors, Yamaha changed the stator plate and CDI part numbers several times during the production run, and they don't interchange. That said, I think all the stator plate plugs are the same on every year of Warrior. All differences are internal. Are you sure you're checking the right plug listed in the manual? There are two plugs for that stator plate, but one is for the charging system and has nothing to do with the ignition system.

Id check out rmstator.com and see what stator is listed for what years of Warrior. I thought the 1998 and newer ones all used the same ignition system, but I could be wrong. Whatever the case, rm has good prices and sells a whole kit for about $ 300.00 that includes a new stator place AND CDI box. That might be the way to go if you discover you need new parts.

so these are the plugs coming out of left side of engine case, wich go to the stator assembly. they are completely different in color and plugs then what the manual calls for and i read anywhere on line. also the last picture is the cdi box wich is located by the muffler, in the manual says its under the front panel around headlights.

Attachments

• 2012-08-27_22-54-20_641.jpg
    2012-08-27_22-54-20_641.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 427
  • 2012-08-27_22-54-30_383.jpg
    2012-08-27_22-54-30_383.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 241
  • 2012-08-27_22-54-41_9.jpg
    2012-08-27_22-54-41_9.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 304
  • 2012-08-27_23-08-31_131.jpg
    2012-08-27_23-08-31_131.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 280
In the pics, the plug on the left (with three white wires) is for the charging circuit. This is the one you don't have to worry about. The other plug should be round, with four wires going to it?? I've never seen a square stator plate plug setup like I see in your pics before on a Warrior. Ive always thought the plug was round. Yamaha may have updated the design on your model.

I know the CDI box is in the right place. Even on my 1994 Warrior it was under the seat/plastic, near the exhaust. This is how Yamaha designed things as far as I know.

Check your manual again...it may be out-of-date in relation to newer Warriors. The first couple of years of Warrior were totally different than the modern ones, and it is possible that the early ones had the CDI box under the hood with different plugs then what you are dealing with here.

its the hayes manual, ill keep looking all the ones i have looked at are old style plug, but the part number abd picture for it look the same as my plugs at a atv part finder.

Ok. Might send Awk a PM and see if he can find you a downloadable manual for the Warrior. He's pretty good at digging stuff like this up. I had a factory service manual for my Warrior and it went into detail about checking the ignition system.

I would only use the factory manuals. I have never liked clymer or haynes manuals. In most cases they are dumbed down to the point of being useless or missing small changes. Anyways, 2001/2002 and later use your style igntion plug.

Here is the manual that covers changes after 2001:
http://fixedforever.dyndns.org/atv/atv%20service%20manuals/warriorsupplement.pdf

Start at PDF page 20 (14 if you look at the pages as scanned)

The full manual

http://fixedforever.dyndns.org/atv/atv%20service%20manuals/warrior.pdf

took left side engine case off, magneto unit was full of oil ?!? these are supposed to stay dry right?

took left side engine case off, magneto unit was full of oil ?!? these are supposed to stay dry right?

Nope, many 4-strokes, including the Warrior, use oil-bath stator plates. As long as the coils on the plate ohm out correctly, the stator plate can be considered good. The oil bath stops moisture from causing corrosion to the stator assembly.

i guess thats a good thing then one less repair, ill have to get one of these ordered get this thing running i hope, impatient gf wants to ride....