03 blaster runs rich on top end and boggs down

TB4Samurai

Dec 8, 2011
I got this quad and it had been sitting for awhile so i had to remove and clean out the carb, put a new spark plug in it and I got the quad running good again Took it out a few times with no problems. I let the quad sit for few months when my buddys wanted to take it for a spin. They couldn't kick start it so they tried to pull start it. They pulled for a long time, i'm not sure how long, i was working of something else at the time but the carb was gummed up again from not running the carb dry when I parked it. They cleaned out the carb and now it has no top end at all (what are friends for right). I pulled it back apart, cleaned well, i even used a tourch tip cleaner to make sure the jets where completely clear of sludge. I put the float to the lowest level possible and still feed gas, put another spark plug in it, did a compression test (115psi) along with removing and inspecting the reeds.I'm still having the same issue. O ya and the gas is new i just poured it in last night. The bike is completely stock, stock pipe, stock jets and stock air cleaner. I am all out of ideas. One of the friends that broke the bike thinks the top end is bad now from the engine having no lubrication when they were tring to start it. Any help is apprieciated Thanks. And sorry for the long explination but i was just tring to get as many things out of the way in one shot.

I got this quad and it had been sitting for awhile so i had to remove and clean out the carb, put a new spark plug in it and I got the quad running good again Took it out a few times with no problems. I let the quad sit for few months when my buddys wanted to take it for a spin. They couldn't kick start it so they tried to pull start it. They pulled for a long time, i'm not sure how long, i was working of something else at the time but the carb was gummed up again from not running the carb dry when I parked it. They cleaned out the carb and now it has no top end at all (what are friends for right). I pulled it back apart, cleaned well, i even used a tourch tip cleaner to make sure the jets where completely clear of sludge. I put the float to the lowest level possible and still feed gas, put another spark plug in it, did a compression test (115psi) along with removing and inspecting the reeds.I'm still having the same issue. O ya and the gas is new i just poured it in last night. The bike is completely stock, stock pipe, stock jets and stock air cleaner. I am all out of ideas. One of the friends that broke the bike thinks the top end is bad now from the engine having no lubrication when they were tring to start it. Any help is apprieciated Thanks. And sorry for the long explination but i was just tring to get as many things out of the way in one shot.

First thing you never try and pull start a 2 stroke i learned that the hard way as a kid.

Second 115psi is low but it should still run they generally dont fire up due to lack of compression from my experiences until about 80-90psi but i did have one that would just barely run at 65psi but only at an idle.So i think your compression can be ruled out.

Now when you pulled the carb apart did you put the little brass washer back in under the main?i forgot to one time and it did what you are describing.Ran great down low but as soon as i got the rpms up it would bog spit sputter and run like garbage so you might try that.

Also you say you set you floats to the lowest setting.By what means?Did you actually measure your float height or just eye ball bend it and hope for the best?Reset the height on the floats to 21-22mm (THERES A WRITE UP ON HERE JUST SEARCH FOR IT AWK I BELIVE MADE IT) check that washer is there and see what happens.

Are you still injected or have you done away with the oil system (IF NOT DO IT NOW) and premixing now?

First thing you never try and pull start a 2 stroke i learned that the hard way as a kid.

Second 115psi is low but it should still run they generally dont fire up due to lack of compression from my experiences until about 80-90psi but i did have one that would just barely run at 65psi but only at an idle.So i think your compression can be ruled out.

Now when you pulled the carb apart did you put the little brass washer back in under the main?i forgot to one time and it did what you are describing.Ran great down low but as soon as i got the rpms up it would bog spit sputter and run like garbage so you might try that.

Also you say you set you floats to the lowest setting.By what means?Did you actually measure your float height or just eye ball bend it and hope for the best?Reset the height on the floats to 21-22mm (THERES A WRITE UP ON HERE JUST SEARCH FOR IT AWK I BELIVE MADE IT) check that washer is there and see what happens.

Are you still injected or have you done away with the oil system (IF NOT DO IT NOW) and premixing now?

I know that the brass washer is not there. My buddy must not have put it back in when he pulled it apart. When I said I adjusted the float as low as possible I bent the tab till it wouldn't feed gas anymore than bent it back so it would just bearly feed gas. I will set the float properly and get a washer then try that. I don't think it is the tors because if I kill the gas it will hit the top end right before it runs out of gas. Im out if town for the week so I wont be able to try that till I go back home. Thanks alot guys!

If that brass washer is not under the main jet, you are wasting your time trying to tune it.

The brass washer must be there and the float level must be within specs.

If you fear top end damage from towing it, take the exhaust pipe off and look up the port at the piston and rings, if you can see any damage, stop now and replace what is worn or damaged.

If there is any damage it will only get worse if you continue to run the motor. and then Bang $$$$$$$ :(