'03 Blaster, #3

Here is what the Head looks like
03PBHead.jpg

03PBHead2.jpg

03PBHead3.jpg

Had to work til 2:15am so decided I would have to start again on her tomorrow night, hopefully I can get the jug off with some help!!

looks good, the nicks on the head and top of piston are NOT normal wear and tear and are probably the result of a piston skirt failure, you will see that when the jug comes off, if so, you probably are going to need to split the cases to get it clean...lots of work awaits!!:)

sorry posted before i saw the pics...did you clean off the piston top and the head? it shouldnt be that clean. maybe previous guy cleaned it.

barrel looks ok still, so perhaps it has been runing very very lean and preigniting, hence the pickled surfaces!

Nope pulled it off and thats what it looked like! Maybe other guy did mess with it not sure...... and the piston does not move from that position at all!! So the nicks and gouges are NOT normal then?? And what are the chances the crank is busted?? Not that big a deal got another bottom end Im swapping out anyway, also will the jug need replaced?

shouldne need to replace the cylinder. bottom end may be stuffed, best to build up one good one from the bottom up. more pics when its apart will help

Ok so me and my buddy are gonna tear into this either tomorrow after work or sunday!! Picking up my bottom end tomorrow at the post office! Hopefully we can get the motor all part, an see whats up then from there its taking the rest off to paint the frame!! Work, work, work! If I didnt work 58hrs a week it wouldnt be so tough learning all this LOL :) will post more pics soon!!

if the piston doesnt move either ur crank is seized or the piston is heat siezed to the sleeve. which u will have to beat that bastard off with a hammer, lets hope its the crank and not siezed...

Ok so my buddy doesnt kno when he will have some free time to help me out, so im on my own and cracking into it tomorrow after work!! Might need to pick up a heavy duty hammer for the beating lol rubber or steel?? Piston is junk anyway so would steel work and be more affective?? This is gonna be interesting :)

whoa there easy with the hammerizing. best to have a rubber on handy but dont just beat willy-nilly. follow the steps in the downladable manual in the general support section engine overhaul chapter

Lol alrighty gotcha Blaner :) dont worry I wasnt gonna beat it bloody lol and ok rubber it is, no steel :) thanks

if you need a hammer your doing something wrong. never use a hammer. do your homework and spend your money ONCE. none of it is really hard just take your time and ask if you dont know. take the jug off and see whats going on with the piston. you might be lucky and just have a broken skirt thats binding things up. you have 3 blasters so you have to learn somewhere this is a great project/ learning experience. TAKE YOUR TIME

Ok Il follow the manual strictly and if I dont understand Il throw out my ?'s :) and yes your right I only wanna spend my money once, and getting to kno my blasters if Im gonna have them is a NEED TO KNOW DEAL :) I completely agree, its just that I am more of a visual learner so it would be nice if I could have had someone here to work next to me, but Im a survivior an will figure it out with the help of you guys :) thanks for all the help, gonna get that jug off tonight hopefully

Alright so I finally got around to getting the jug off!! Wasnt too difficult, though Im thinkin its not the piston rings that went bad with it. The rings were still in and didnt seem to be too bad a shape though it is impossible to move crank and piston at all! Also there are copper/steel chunks, slivers, shavings and whatnot around the piston hole! No idea what it could be! Maybe crank busted?? Also when I drain the oil and took off clutch cover it seemed to me that it was watery oil and inside the cover seemed to be muddy sandy stuff?? So maybe they took it for a swim?? I have no idea bjt thats what Im guessing, unless it could have been something else?? Also will my head need replaced? Cuz it has all those nicks, and gouges??

pics??? probably you bottom bearing/s that are gone. dont replace the head, you can have it rechambered by ken Oconnor or just leave it like it is.

we need some pics of what you got going on there

Ok so here are current pics of what I got

Blasterrebuild.jpg

Clutch Cover off
BottomEnd2.jpg

Clutch cover with nastiness in it
ClutchCover2.jpg

ClutchCover.jpg

Piston with the shaving down inside
Bottomend.jpg

Piston2.jpg

Piston.jpg

Inside of jug
Jug2.jpg

Jug.jpg

Whatcha think???

jug seems ok. looks like it ran seriously lean to do that to your piston. or perhaps all that stuff got ontop of the piston and chowed it up. looks like a bottom end bearing that disintergrated.

yoi need to split cases,

Thats the next step, I have another bottom end Im gonna use but theres a hole in its case so Im swapping out the case from this one to that one cuz the insides in the other one are good! My buddy has done splitting of cases a few time which is way more than me lol so he is gonna help me out and make sure I keep it all in order and whatnot, plus hes a mechanic pretty much and has all the right tools and pulley for the job!! so while thats getting done Il have the jug bored and order the new piston and rings!!!

feel on the exhaust side of the jug for any wear, sometimes you can feel a 'bump' as you slide your finger around near the end of the piston stroke, also you may find a ridge at the top where the rings stop their travel. that should give you an indication of wear, which helps when ordering new pistons etc