'03 Blaster, #3

Sonia_69

Jun 6, 2011
Iowa
Hey guys! So I just traded $300 and my xbox 360 for an '03 blaster! Its gonna need some work but it came with a title so it can be registered. As of right now it needs a top end (guy said piston rings were stuck in the piston) so I figured Id just replace the whole motor, bore it out some :), rear fender in my opinion is junk tore ride side by the seat, planning to get a whole set of Maier plastics, seat will need replaced or seat cover, will prolly do both, needs grab bar and tail light neither is there at all!!! Has aftermarket bumper and nerf bars but I will be replacing them cuz they just arent my style lol

What I wont need to replace or undo it the exhaust, has complete Toomey B1 exhaust, oil block off has been done, key insertion as been bypassed, has vented airbox lid, banshee hubs (at least im pretty sure they are cuz the definitely are not stock blaster rear hubs, too big!) with 9" rims with Dunlop KT205A and front Carlisle trail wolf tires on the front, which all have bout 90% of tread left on them! Also came with a an extra FMF factory 909 handlebars!

Still is gonna need alot of work but its gonna be sharp by the time Im done! My BF is goin to be away for 5-6 months so this is my project while hes away, ultimately it will be for him :) an his 2000 will either be sold or kept for a backup because we kno theres nothing wrong with it!!! Lol Will post pics of before, during, and after results!!!

As of right now it needs a top end (guy said piston rings were stuck in the piston) so I figured Id just replace the whole motor, bore it out some :),

whuuuut? no need to replace the whole motor! just get a oversize piston and have it bored--like you said--

sounds like fun. but we need pics!!!! sounds like you are the more mechanically minded out of the two of you!

Lol yea maybe :p

And really you dont think Il need to replace at least the whole top end??? I have not opened up the jug yet but I thought if the rings got stuck in the piston it would have for sure damaged the jug??? And how much should or can I bore it?? I want it to be faster cuz thats what he wants :) already have a shop to have it all done up for me!

Last edited:
And I cant figure out how to post pics in the thread???? So I put some up on my page in my album :) its label PB '03 (project blaster 2003) check it out!!

you get a 66.00mm (stock) 66.25, 66.50,66.75, 67.00, 67.25, 67.50, 67.75, 68.00, 68.25
bear in mind the very big oversizes are only made by wiseco, dont get a new jug, thats a waste! just have it rebored. but before you order a piston etc, open the motor and see what condition it is in, post pics and then we can tell you what you need to do.

to post pics in a thread, host them on photobucket and then copy the IMG tag into the thread, easy as pie...

Wiseco is the only way im gonna go anyway :) whats the top speed in the biggest bore size? An ok il get pics of the jug and everything else, gotta get the gas tank off first though lol il post what I did tonight later today :)

bore size doesn't determine top speed... Gearing, total HP output, tire size, and ultimately your personal safety will determine top speed. Theoretically you could put a blaster together that could get up to like 80mph but it would be a fairly unstable thing unless you did some other modifications to the suspension.

You should crack open the engine and take the cylinder to the machine shop. They can determine what the current bore size is, what the next usable bore size would be, and bore it for that.

The other things to check would be a cursory glance at the crankshaft and case bearings and a leakdown test when you put the top end back together.

ya dont waste your bores, just go the next size up, depending on damage. if you want power, your dollar is the limit. porting, reeds, head mods, carbs etc, all the way to go!

Lol alright gotcha! So Il take the whole thing to the shop and have them do it up for me :) whats the best carb, suspension, port and whatnot to go with after I get that far? Il post pics of the topend hopefully tonight after I get off work

So took the jug off this morning, an it looks pretty rough in there! I took pics will get them on here after work, got to late this morning was up til 6am workin on it! Also the piston is completely seized inside of there! Will not budge whatsoever! Tried the kicker to see if I could get it to move but nothing!

is the crankshaft siezed? ie, you got the jug off and it wont rotate or did you mean it wouldnt move with the jug still on?

if the crank is siezed you gonna need to split the cases and get to the bottom end and main bearings.

Sorry i meant I got the head off, my bad! So head off, top of piston is visible, but very unmovable! Hoping a buddy of mine can come over tonight and help me get the actual jug off an see what I got then. The inside of the head at the top looks pretty nicked an chewed up an so does the top of the piston, is that normal wear and tear?

Pics tonight for sure!! I always use my phone to get on here but I gotta do it from my laptop cuz I cant see which pics im puttin on photobucket til they download completely lol and thanks I didnt think it was too bad a trade, considering I was gonna trade off my 360 for the limited edition Gears of War 3 xbox 360 that comes out in September anyway lol
'03 PB still it needs alot of work but I have plenty of time and another blaster to ride anyway :)

Push rod on 2000 blaster? Well turned out whoever worked on it last ( im thinkin the dealership I bought it from cuz they said they replaced the whole motor) didnt put in the ball bearing between the rods, so the rods like welded together! I took it to a shop and they got the #1 rod out, put the ball in and put it back together for $125, up and running! Runs great now :) and thanks, its #3 for us garage is gettin full lol

Ok heres the before pics of '03 Project Blaster
03PB6.jpg

03PB5.jpg

03PB4.jpg

Pre head Gas tank and Head removal
03PB3.jpg

03PB.jpg

And how its sitting right now
03PBProcess.jpg

Feels like I have done so much but no not really lol gotta looooong ways to go yet :)