WHICH PORT JOB?

SMITTY

Oct 3, 2008
Connecticut
Here's a couple links to some port job deals on ebay. If anybody has any opinions on the companies let us know (Good or bad expeirience) I'm looking here because they have some good deals!!

$100

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMA...705193QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

$125

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/yama...813349QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

$175

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bans...181888QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

And this one is from the same guy as the first $100 one but for $200

$200

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMA...717822QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

........any opinions are welcome, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
im still in the process of breaking it in, which is like watching paint dry, but after the break in period ill def let everyone know how well it runs

the first one just looks like he opens the intake up a little. if thats all your goin for, get urself a dremel and have at it, it's hard to screw that up. its when you start modifying transfers and exhaust that you gotta watch, but thats also where you get the majority of the power. that and the head. i'm glad he says he needs to know the type of pipe and gas on the last one, if someone is modifying the exhaust without matching the pipe, ur gonna have a crappy runnin bike. i've done hours of research on this crap. pm kennedy_power. he knows what he's talking about. just tell him what ur lookin for and ask for a price. if you wanna go balls out, he's got a deal on a brand new shearer pipe and his redisigned head and cylinder port for $425. a good pipe is 3/4 of that.

I have 3 different stage port-jobs from Flotek (trail, aggresive trail, full drag) and I say don't go by the cheapest price go by experience and reviews.
Flotek has never done me wrong.

What kind of performance are you looking to get would be your first decision, Then look at all your options and choose a builder that fits you and your wants, going for the cheapest isnt always a smart move when it comes to your bikes internals.

Ok, Flotek is the sh*t!! So what is OEM triple exhaust with boysen ports for $280

vs.

blaster porting dune/mx/aggresive trail $150

$130 difference worth it?

What kind of performance are you looking to get would be your first decision, Then look at all your options and choose a builder that fits you and your wants, going for the cheapest isnt always a smart move when it comes to your bikes internals.

thats some good advise Wildcard ,as an engine builder he realizes tha t its so true price shopping for performance isnt always a good idea :) personaly I price my porting to what i think is fair considering the time and overhead and still keeps a steady stream of work going . there are plenty of places cheaper though but you gotta be careful on ebay not all* but alot of these fly by night port guys dont use porting programs to get the durations/port timing accurate or use the right tools required to do it correctly ,also the looks and intake shot pics dont tell the whole story ,some have onbly ported a few cylinders to o im sure ...seriously im not tellling anyone that to draw business to myself or anything just be a smart shopper and avoid the expensive pitfalls that others have fallen into over the years,there are plenty of good options out there for blaster owners who do their homework ,but even more who go in blindly with a dremel tool

thanks flotek, I just read maney threads here and on other sites that ask who does the cheapest porting. Its kinda sad for us builders who know what goes in to a build and the time spent doing a port job that will make top performance. I figure if your gonna get work done save your money to get the right job done, so you dont end up doing it twice.

as builders we both understand that is our name on the line when we send an engine out.

I didn't know but am learning. Any info Flotek on the different port job as mentioned above? Is it HIGHLY recommendeto get a bigger carb with porting?

basically yes cause your stock carb couldnt supply your engine with enough fuel and itll run it lean and eventually kapow your rebuilding it

I have a flotek port job,cut head,lightened flywheel etc.I did not go with the boyesen ports yet.Let me tell you this thing rips compared to stock.I run vf3's,power pro's pipe,34mm carb,3mm stroker crank and a few extra goodies.I also run race gas 108 leaded.Denny is a great builder and will be there with any questions.I am more than stisfied with floteks work.Hope this helps.Good luck.

Now, what if you need to bore the cylinder 0.010"-0.020" over for a rebuild in the future...........do you have to send it back to them for a "touch-up". I am learning here....porting is new to me but I'm sold!! Just trying to iron out some things. I:I

no a simple overbore to the next size or two wont drasticly *change the porting so youll be fine

When you do bore a cylinder the port heights will drop slightly, but .010inches to .03inches do not worry about it. They drop from the ports being at angles perpendicular from the cylinder bore, the bore being 90 degrees.