water heater

are you referring to the in line heater that heats the water as you use it? If so my buddy has one and says hell never get a regular water heater again...

are you referring to the in line heater that heats the water as you use it? If so my buddy has one and says hell never get a regular water heater again...

yes thats the one.....does it take a while for the water to get from the heater to the faucet

those heaters are great , but have drawbacks . 1 they do require pressure adjustments , from summer to winter as pressure changes due to temperature outside , if the pressure is too high , the water won't heat , too low and the unit will overheat and flow will diminish , kinda like a ferrari , definitly isn't turnkey . these are really popular in europe , been around for decades , we are finally catching up , but we americanized it and decided that 1 should be fine , but in europe they do it properly , 2-3 per house , they are smaller and simply provide the hot water for a specific source , like the unit in the bathroom has a higher out ( for showers etc ) at the kitchen it can be a smaller unit , generally hot water for cooking and washing dishes. Now also if you are using natural gas to run the tankless , you have to think about how many btu's the imput is . you need to see what your total " on " usage is , cause if you have a furnace , gas fireplace , cooktop , and the tankless ( which are a gas glutton 80k-150k btu imput ) your current gas meter and fuel line may not be able to keep up . generally the trouble happends when the furnace fires off when the tankless is heating water one suffers . my company now requires customers installing these units ( to avoid us being blamed for pressure problems ) is to upgrade their gas service and gas meter , to handle the load added to it . typically a 1/2" gas service , providing 7inches of water column delivery to the house can give you 275,000 btu's an hour so once your tankless kicks in , theres not enough volume or pressure to run anything else .

those heaters are great , but have drawbacks . 1 they do require pressure adjustments , from summer to winter as pressure changes due to temperature outside , if the pressure is too high , the water won't heat , too low and the unit will overheat and flow will diminish , kinda like a ferrari , definitly isn't turnkey . these are really popular in europe , been around for decades , we are finally catching up , but we americanized it and decided that 1 should be fine , but in europe they do it properly , 2-3 per house , they are smaller and simply provide the hot water for a specific source , like the unit in the bathroom has a higher out ( for showers etc ) at the kitchen it can be a smaller unit , generally hot water for cooking and washing dishes. Now also if you are using natural gas to run the tankless , you have to think about how many btu's the imput is . you need to see what your total " on " usage is , cause if you have a furnace , gas fireplace , cooktop , and the tankless ( which are a gas glutton 80k-150k btu imput ) your current gas meter and fuel line may not be able to keep up . generally the trouble happends when the furnace fires off when the tankless is heating water one suffers . my company now requires customers installing these units ( to avoid us being blamed for pressure problems ) is to upgrade their gas service and gas meter , to handle the load added to it . typically a 1/2" gas service , providing 7inches of water column delivery to the house can give you 275,000 btu's an hour so once your tankless kicks in , theres not enough volume or pressure to run anything else .

wow thanks for that info man.....i think we are just going to get a 40 gal for now

me personally , I'd still go with the tankless , because a standing tank is just disgusting , the piping in your house if its galvanized is disgusting , i've pulled out potable water pipe that is nothing but scale and putrid water sitting in it . just foul , I installed a 3 gallon waterheater under the kitchen sink for cooking/dishes so the main tank only is used for showers . eventually I'll have it all tankless and all poly waterlines , its the cleanest way to do it . good luck

not sure about the water heater but i do know not to close the pressure valve!! check the vid...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have electric I would not get a tankless heater. They require a ton of Elec to heat the water and the best only flow around 4 gal a min. and that really isn't enough to use more then 1 unit at a time. The gas ones are not bad but still have some set backs. You really are not going to save a ton of money going tankless. They like to tell you that you only heat the water you use and really you do but that they dont tell you is it takes twice the gas and elec to heat that water when you do use it. A really good insulated normal tank water heaters are still the way to go IMO. I'm building a new house and talked to many plumbers and none of them are really sold on the tankless heaters yet.

honestly the best system , tried and true is a boiler , water temps stay where bacteria can't grow , you get clean clear potable safe water . plus you can run a hydronic heating system ( like radiators or in floor heating) which is more efficient than heating the air in the room , something like 3x more efficient per therm . People these days are either unaware of them , or scared of them ,but boilers are designed to fail open , not fail closed , a closed fail is like that water tank video with the P-N-T valve plugged , had that happen with a electric tank here a couple years back , blew the ass end off a restaurant and ended up in a heap a block away on the roof of a hair salon .

we have pvc water lines in our house....the person before us did it....it sure makes it easy to work on them.....we are going to get a 40 gal sat. and i think i am going to wrap it in insulation.....are water here really sucks and makes the water heaters not last very long....is there a filter or somthing i can put on the inlet line?

they are good.. but you need to have a 60 amp breaker on them..
if you want hot water on demand in the kitchen you have to put a small heater tank under the sink..

oddly i have one i can sell you if your interested. lol

you can easily add a filter and water softener before the tank , especially a good idea if you get that hard water that eats up the tanks . also drain and flush the tank every 6 months . if you are installing it put a shut off valve on each side , makes it easier to do the flushes as well. another trick is when installing , measure the dip tube , it is on the cold water side , see how long it is , you can get another one ( they are cut to fit ) make it a little bit longer and cut the tip of it at an angle , not straight , as sediment in the tank builds up it can clog the end , or it will stir it up all the time and it will end up in your faucet valves and clog those . by angle cutting it it will swirl the water sideways instead of a blast straight down , which tends to stir up the sediment worse . best maintenance is to flush twice a year , if you get a lot , maybe bump it up to every three months