water cooled blaster/dt200-wr200 upper end

rainmaker491

May 25, 2011
williamston sc
hello i am a total newbee to the blaster as well as to forums so here it goes. i have 2 blasters that i picked up basically rolling chassis i have a motor i took off the side cover by the oil pump and i noticed a water pump like housing in the case.. so with a little research i found that the bottom end is the same as a dt200/wr200 dirt bike which i am sure you guys already know. my question is can you put the upper end on this bottom end and have a water cooled blaster? if so how do you get the water pump to drive so that the water flows? thanks

it's been talked about here a lot, there's a waterpump drive gear off of a 125 dirtbike that will work for the water pump.

there is a good amount of info in the engine swaps/mods section of the site

welcome in by the way!

Thanks for the info. When I was younger I was into the atc's mostly honda I started my family and I drive cross country so 17 yrs past and I got back into it I have 2 raptors 700 & 350 a moto 4 80 and now a 98&01 blaster oh and a bombardier ds50 for my little one. So I am doing the blaster as a father son project I read alot here on parts and stuff but when I saw that case I was like ok this might be interesting if I can mod it to be watercooled

Do a google search for water cooled blaster head , there is a guy that manufactures a kit . It's pretty slick and we have yet to have someOne here try it out. I was always planning on doing it , but now my blaster is gone and I have a banshee , so no need .

that water cooled head is junk, the only good thing is the interchangeable domes.
I just sold a complete DT200 motor with everything needed. Its a real pain in the a to try to peice it all together ask me.. i know hahha

it's been talked about here a lot, there's a waterpump drive gear off of a 125 dirtbike that will work for the water pump.

there is a good amount of info in the engine swaps/mods section of the site

welcome in by the way!

will a dt200 engine just go straight into a blaster with no moding need'd

you need to drill out the back engine mount a little to fit the blaster swingarm bolt i think...up to correction on that but thats about it apart from fitting radiator and plumbing!

the problem is that the dt/wr 200 changed at some point.. the DT/WR200 from before the 90's has the same cases, and your blasters exhaust will even fit if you put the DT engine in your blaster frame because the cylinder angle is the same.

early in the 90's the DT engine changed (different cases and different cylinder inclination meant fitting it in a blaster and getting the exhaust plumbed was a beast of a job)

the cases used to be exactly the same, such that you could keep the blaster inner cases and put on the DT/WR200 outer cases and then it wouldnt need drilling.

One must also consider the gear ratios, which are different on the DT/WR200 engine.

Other than being liquid cooled, the other main benefit of the dt/wr engine was the provision of the electronically controlled power valve and the fact that it had WAY more power than a stock blaster motor as it was stock.

a lot of people that have the older sought after DT have it as a collectible, but if you look on ebay, you will find on occasion an old DT. that way you can get the carb, the electronics and the rad but will probably have to rebuild the engine their so old..

i always fancied putting a YZ250 engine in my blaster.. You?
theres a guy whose put a KTM460 two stroke in it.. thats gotta be fast...