The "I said I'd never do this" Bobber Build

heheh she's definitely got some side boob action going on. What are you planning for a seat pan?

Just going to buy a nice leather solo seat, but need it first to see the mounting points before I fab supports.

fooled around a couple hours this afternoon
my buddy found this seat from an older suzuki he had laying around, i'm not going to use it, but it gives a feel for whats about to happen

1111111.jpg

then off came the old azz end.....there is definately no turning back now :)
I left extra of everything, final cuts, caps on open ends and cleanup can come later, the stock seat mounts I left on there for now will be coming off also, once i get the actual seat I plan to use I'll be able to better envision some kind of mounting
11112222.jpg

the zuke seat just for giggles
11114444.jpg

gotta stop by the local supply house and get metal for shock mounts next
11113333.jpg

I knew something looked goofy today, I was going to have to hold the shock out away from that main frame tube like 3 inches for the spring to clear, and actually had started cutting a cardboard pattern.
But ahaaaaaa........ The others who've done this are flipping the shock upside down to allow the longer end up for the spring to clear the frame :)

shock 2.jpg

I was making some progress today...........

got my lower shock mount fabbed and just tacked into place until I get the swingarm off to fully weld it.
I spanned across the weak stamped steel, like our blaster swingers have, to on top of the tube rails, the washers are missing in this pic
IMG_20150120_143658406.jpg

just tacked in place for now
IMG_20150120_143715149.jpg

I can't do top mounts until my seat arrives so I can see what mounting it will require ?
as it may be all one piece or at least tied together with the upper shock mount.

the seat I settled on, looks way more "cushy" than the hand tooled one's I really wanted
$_57.jpg

I've also ordered...... a ducati electric fan, temp sensor and relay, euro street bars, some different rear lighting to play with, and a kawasaki front fender to cut/fab into a rear 1/2 fender.

above i said I WAS making progress....... until this showed up :( or is it :)
my partners cougar eliminator we're about to start finishing, he's on the prowl for sumthin special motor wise.

IMG_20150120_144839216_HDR.jpg

more cougar pics in the tavern thread

Last edited:
Reactions: speedyslyder
I have leather hand tool if you are interested in making you own seat haha. got them from an older guy when he moved into the nursing home

I was making some progress today...........

got my lower shock mount fabbed and just tacked into place until I get the swingarm off to fully weld it.
I spanned across the weak stamped steel, like our blaster swingers have, to on top of the tube rails, the washers are missing in this pic
View attachment 13931

just tacked in place for now
View attachment 13930

I can't do top mounts until my seat arrives so I can see what mounting it will require ?
as it may be all one piece or at least tied together with the upper shock mount.

the seat I settled on, looks way more "cushy" than the hand tooled one's I really wanted
View attachment 13932

I've also ordered...... a ducati electric fan, temp sensor and relay, euro street bars, some different rear lighting to play with, and a kawasaki front fender to cut/fab into a rear 1/2 fender.

above i said I WAS making progress....... until this showed up :( or is it :)
my partners cougar eliminator we're about to start finishing, he's on the prowl for sumthin special motor wise.

View attachment 13928

more cougar pics in the tavern thread
I would do a big block ford in the cougar with fuel injection and twin turbos. Or if money allowed, the new coyote motor with twin turbo.

got the rest of the old tail section cut off today, and fooled with removing the bars and what all could be eliminated or moved to clean up the front end and triple tree area.
gotta get the gauges wires marked and them big clumsy things off.

both my seat and bars arrived today, but too late to get pics.
the seat is a little longer than i'd like, we'll see how it matches up tomorrow, It might work ?
the new rear frame section, seat and shock mounts comin soon :)

thru the tank back on to see what room i have underneath to hide electronics

tank back on.jpg

tank on cougar.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: speedyslyder
I should have known better than buy a seat from harley, even though it's an aftermarket,
if it was a solo seat it must have been for some 300 pound biker slob,
way too big for what i'm doing.

seat.jpg

I've been looking at seats on ebay and websites since before I even bought this bike.
and as much as I like the custom hand tooled leather seats, I gotta keep in mind.....this is just an old honda, and would possibly never return the $ of using a $250 - 300 seat ?

the seat I bought was $85 + shipping, the seller has agreed to allow me to return it,
even though all his parts say "no returns", so that was nice of him.
it was also a very light buckskin color which had me questioning my paint color choices to match such a light color seat.
a darker seat will allow me to go with my original paint ideas.

prolly going with this one for $135 shipped ?..................

br blk seat.jpg

I've been looking at seats on ebay and websites since before I even bought this bike.
and as much as I like the custom hand tooled leather seats, I gotta keep in mind.....this is just an old honda, and would possibly never return the $ of using a $250 - 300 seat ?

the seat I bought was $85 + shipping, the seller has agreed to allow me to return it,
even though all his parts say "no returns", so that was nice of him.
it was also a very light buckskin color which had me questioning my paint color choices to match such a light color seat.
a darker seat will allow me to go with my original paint ideas.

prolly going with this one for $135 shipped ?..................

View attachment 14003

i guess just make sure the size is what you want/how much smaller is that one??