The "I said I'd never do this" Bobber Build

the mother load of cx builds.............
http://cx500info.com/cx500-builds/

both of those bikes posted above are among my favs, and do look sexy as hell with the cbr front end swaps and clip-ons,
but I'd like to not be leaning so far forward ala crotch rocket style, so i'm going more for dirt/street tracker bars up front with a less than stock rise and sweep, but not straight across like drag or clip-on style.

I'm still trying to figure out how to do forward foot controls, but the straight off the shaft shifter must be the hurdle, as i've yet to see it done on a cx ?
I may have to try some sort of cable driven unit ?

the shift shaft sits front to back and comes out the back of the trans, instead of out the side like a normal engine, not sure how to make the corner and redirect the action that would be required from 18 inches forward ?
cable driven ? we shall see, I may be the first :)
to do a hand/suicide shifter, would require up/down shifter movement versus front/back action like any other bike.
it's a strange set-up and going to be a challenge for sure.
I will have the benefit of that pipe not being in the way, as the mac 2:1 pipes cross over before that point and exits out the other side.
shift.jpg

the relocated battery box actually mounts underneath right in behind that shifter point.

hmmmm........ double action electric solenoid controlled by a hand switch on the bars
like the newer honda utility quads use on this same transverse engine o_O
time to go search ebay

I am confused by your shifter dilemma? it still uses a up down action to shift. no different than our blasters. a suicide shifter would have to use a side to side action instead of a fore/aft.

you could do a modified suicide shifter that actually uses the shift rod actuator as a pivot. Make the shifter come up each side and shift with your knees.

I am confused by your shifter dilemma? it still uses a up down action to shift. no different than our blasters. a suicide shifter would have to use a side to side action instead of a fore/aft.

yes, up/down action of the shift shaft, but it comes out the back in behind the engine, facing backwards.
for forward controls i'd have to have an extended shaft make that corner.
the action of that shaft would be front to back, the action required by the shift shaft is up/down, and also around a corner.

It's really not that complicated in theory, you would need the proper leverages and distances calculated but it is pretty simple to change a forward backward force into a up/down force.

Ridiculously crude but you get the picture.

N for forward controls check out tcbros or pandemonium custom choppers..they prob won't have one for that weird set up but maybe something u can work with

Awk check on CL there is an xs 650 in mint shape in server for 1300 and its titled. I was so close to buying it n making a bobber of my own but I decided to give the blaster some love and am currently tearin the motor down for a trip to KOR. Here is what I wanted my build to resemble. http://www.xs650.com/forum/album.php?albumid=1343&pictureid=9372

yeah Jared, there was a few xs' around when i was looking, but something about this transverse engine and the pics of those builds caught my eye, maybe i'll do an xs650 next.

Yeah the more I look at that engine the more it interests me. I love the simplicity of the xs though. N not sure if your ever up around this area doing work or not but Butler cycle warehouse has any part you could ever think of...it's somethimg like 850,000 sq ft. Well good luck on your build, I'll be watching!

I'll keep that BCW in mind Jared, thanx

here's a few other pieces I'm considering............

danmoto gauges (speedo,tach,indicators)
danmoto.jpg

small real carbon fiber fr/rr fenders
fender.jpg

tossup between seats ?
seat2.jpg

seat 1.jpg

full bore dualsport tires
tires.jpg

Yeah def worth checking out, it's 3 story's and they let you just walk through and pick what you want. And I think all of those parts would be good for the look your going for. As far as seats...Iits a hard one but I think I like the skull one slighty more.

As far as seats...Iits a hard one but I think I like the skull one slighty more.

skulls on the seat....as a reminder if I ride it, that i'm sitting on death every ride :cool:

rear kawi 650ex shock came today for the solo shock conversion, there's no turning back now......let the cutting commense :)

gotta do something with the blue spring, kevin (jocaga on here) the shock man tells me the spring is removable for paint/PC,
overall color scheme is undecided yet, I'm thinking some shade of a black cherry for miscellaneous parts and tank ect. with carbon fiber fenders, and prolly just a black frame/suspension ?

shock.jpg

Reactions: MercMenace
Gotta say. That's am awfully pretty blue.

that it is, too bad this isn't a yamaha :(
I got a thing for sticking with variations of stock manufactuer colors..... honda = red, yami = yellow/blue, ect.

the red frame of my blaster has always bothered me, but at the time too many guys on here were doing blue.

got some $ from selling that LRD silencer so I flipped that right into cx500 parts.....
front fork seals as one side is leaking, and real nice condition used intake boots, my right side is cracked.
those 2 left me with $15 in PP, just enuf for a stainless allen engine bolt kit :D

Xs650 isn't a bad build , they can be built in all kinds of ways. Choppers, cafes, even street trackers. The first bike build I ever did was an xs650 chopper with my ole friend Bill. I will look for pics but it was almost 8 years ago. << I will find some though.. Awk ,,I really like your choice of builds, The motor tranny set up is different , being as its a strait shot. For some reason it reminds me of an ole airplane, with the way the engine looks. I get the shifter scenario as it comes strait of the trans and shifting is actually "strait up and down" not like a shift shaft moving down (frwrd) and up (bckwrd), like the side of any other bike or quad?? Yeah that can be tricky but if you pull it off... :D.. Cabled like you said or some type of shaft with a guide so it is actually pushing "down" and not frwrd and down like a pivot..

Last edited:
finally got some work done today :)
this bike is amazing, not one bolt gave me an ounce of trouble, even on the exhaust which is notorious for being a biotch, crack it with a ratchet and evey nut/bolt came off with just my fingers.
maybe garage kept all it's life ? and maybe never even driven in the rain ?
the only little bit of rust I saw was on the battery tray, assuming from battery acid ?
and the kickstand is rusty.

seat, rear fender and rack off
start teardown.jpg

just give me a few hours ..........and she's butt naked !
the orange marks are where the sub frame will get cut off
cut frame.jpg

the new solo shock just sitting in place, getting mounts fabbed and welded on is next
shock.jpg

the cheapest and easiest way to gain HP. is cutting weight :)
gone is the airbox, battery and tray, center stand, rear rack, crash bars, front and rear fenders, complete stock exhaust and stock mirrors.
pile.jpg

losing this 50 lb. cast iron crossover is good for 10 HP alone :confused:
exhaust.jpg

ya just gotta luv when you can see her hooters sticking out............... from behind :D
v-twin.jpg

Last edited: