Text Messaging While Driving

sheeblast

Jul 16, 2010
Ohio
OK here is it. I have to do a project/report in one of my class. Our topic is text messaging while driving. Recently in Cincinnati, they passed a law that states it is illegal to text message while driving, other cities and counties have passed similar laws. Currently the state of Ohio is trying to past a few different bills that will make it illegal to use any text message device or talking on a phone while driving.
The bills are as followed.
Pending legislation (2009-10):
Ohio House Bill 415
Ohio House Bill 266
Ohio House Bill 261
Ohio House Bill 262
HB 270
HB 130
Ohio Senate Bill 164

Please go here to find out more info about the bills and current cities/counties with bans. Ohio text messaging legislation - distracted driving laws | Hands Free Info

Here is what I need from you guys. Please answer the following questions and that is all, this is not a debate. Just give truthful answers and only post one time please.

Question
1) Age:
2) Location:
3) Sex:
4a) Do you drive:
4b) If so, on average, how many miles or hours a week do you drive:
5) Do you text while driving:
6a) Is it illegal to text while driving where you live:
6b) If illegal and you do text while driving, why do you continue to do it:
7) Do you talk on your phone while driving:
8a) Is it illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving where you living:
8b) If illegal and you use your phone, why do you continue to do it:
9a) Do you agree or disagree with a cell usage ban:
9b) Why or why not:
10) What kind of ban do you think should be in affect:
11) Current ban range from $100 to $500 in fines, can be a misdemeanor offense and include jail time, what do you think is an appropriate fine for texting/talking on phone while driving:
12) Do you believe texting while driving is a distraction:
13) Do you believe talking on a phone more of a distraction than texting:
14) Do you believe texting/talking on a phone while driving is worse than drunk driving:
15) Do you think the federal government should make a nation wide ban of cell phone usage while drive:

I might add more questions later on, if I do, I will let everyone know and I would like it if you have already answered the question to please edit your post to include the new questions.

Remember only one post per a person please. After this is all done, I will put everyone’s name into a hat and pick a winner. Not sure what the winner will get, but it won’t be some trash. To be put into the hat, you must answer all questions and only have one post.

Thanks

Last edited:
1) Age:14 ( i still drive cars on back roads and ride atvs on public often )
2) Location:ireland
3) Sex:male
4) Do you text while driving:nope
5a) Is it illegal to text while driving where you live:nope
5b) If illegal, why do you continue to do it:i dont
6) Do you talk on your phone while driving:yes
7a) Is it illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving where you living:yes
7b) If illegal, why do you continue to do it:never take my eyes of the road
8a) Do you agree or disagree with a cell usage ban:yes and no
8b) Why or why not:dont concentrate as much
9) Write a bill for cell phone ban, please read current proposed bills to get ideas.
10) Current ban range from $100 to $500 in fines, can be a misdemeanor offense and include jail time, what do you think is an appropriate fine for texting/talking on phone while driving:50?
11) Do you believe texting while driving is a distraction:yes
12) Do you believe talking on a phone more of a distraction than texting:no
13) Do you believe texting/talking on a phone while driving is worse than drunk driving:no

Last edited:
Question
1) Age: 18
2) Location: marysville, ohio
3) Sex: male
4) Do you text while driving: yes
5a) Is it illegal to text while driving where you live: no
5b) If illegal, why do you continue to do it: n/a
6) Do you talk on your phone while driving: yes
7a) Is it illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving where you living: no
7b) If illegal, why do you continue to do it: n/a
8a) Do you agree or disagree with a cell usage ban: disagree
8b) Why or why not: if its legal, at least people wont be looking down and taking their eyes even farther off the road to text while driving. they are gonna do it regardless, but at least they wont have to hide it in their lap to do it if its legal. talking on the phone while driving doesnt seem like a big deal. i just put my phone on speaker though, and its like having someone else in the car with me. but i dont feel distracted even when i have the phone at my ear.
9) Write a bill for cell phone ban, please read current proposed bills to get ideas.
i dont really want to take the time to write out a full bill here. i would set it up to where it would be a secondary offense, so you could not get pulled over for it, but if you were caught when you got pulled over for something more offensive, you'd get fined for it.
10) Current ban range from $100 to $500 in fines, can be a misdemeanor offense and include jail time, what do you think is an appropriate fine for texting/talking on phone while driving: $150 at the most, no jail time or points or anything, at least for the first offense.
11) Do you believe texting while driving is a distraction: it can be.
12) Do you believe talking on a phone more of a distraction than texting: no
13) Do you believe texting/talking on a phone while driving is worse than drunk driving: no, its not. at least if you suck at texting/talking while driving, you can put the phone down and go back to just sucking at driving. if you're drunk, you're drunk. you cant just all the sudden be fine.

1) 47
2) Johnstown,PA
3) lots of it
4) maybe a short one now and then
5a) i don't know
5b) half the sh*t i've ever done was illegal/immoral
6) yes, breifly on speakerphone only
7a) i don't know
7b) half the sh*t i've ever done was illegal/immoral
8a) yes
8b) it's distracting and dangerous
9) no
10) summary/traffic offense, missy - accident,
felony - injuries/death
11) yes
12) no, requires no looking down
13) no, definately not

1) Age:22
2) Location:Cleveland, Tn
3) Sex:Male
4) Do you text while driving:Yes
5a) Is it illegal to text while driving where you live:Yes
5b) If illegal, why do you continue to do it:I have always sone it and it hasn't effcted my driving yet.
6) Do you talk on your phone while driving:Yes
7a) Is it illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving where you living:Yes
7b) If illegal, why do you continue to do it:I consider myself an outlaw! Jk I don't do it regularly but sometimes that is the only time I can talk to certain people.
8a) Do you agree or disagree with a cell usage ban:Disagree
8b) Why or why not:people are goinmg to use cell phones and alot of people spend alot of time traving and driving and people may only be able to talk to others at times when they are driving.
10) Current ban range from $100 to $500 in fines, can be a misdemeanor offense and include jail time, what do you think is an appropriate fine for texting/talking on phone while driving:I don't think there should be a fine because I don't think there should be a law against it.
11) Do you believe texting while driving is a distraction:At times it can be
12) Do you believe talking on a phone more of a distraction than texting:No
13) Do you believe texting/talking on a phone while driving is worse than drunk driving:No

1) Age: 31
2) Location: Hagerstown, MD
3) Sex: Male
4) Do you text while driving: only once or twice (short ones)
5a) Is it illegal to text while driving where you live: yes
5b) If illegal, why do you continue to do it: cuz we all do stuff thats illegal LOL
6) Do you talk on your phone while driving: yes
7a) Is it illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving where you living: yes
7b) If illegal, why do you continue to do it: cuz my phone rang
8a) Do you agree or disagree with a cell usage ban: yes and no
8b) Why or why not: texting i think should be banned. talking is up in the air for me (its a brief convo i dont see a prob w/ it)
10) Current ban range from $100 to $500 in fines, can be a misdemeanor offense and include jail time, what do you think is an appropriate fine for texting/talking on phone while driving: i think maybe $25. like a seatbelt fine. depends on what happened while doing the texting/talking. if they can prove that something happened during texting/talking that maybe a stiffer punishment. they would have to get phone records and stuff.....
11) Do you believe texting while driving is a distraction: yes
12) Do you believe talking on a phone more of a distraction than texting: no way
13) Do you believe texting/talking on a phone while driving is worse than drunk driving: no not at all

Question
1) Age: 19
2) Location: Nashua, NH
4) Do you text while driving: Yes
4b)how many miles or hours a week do you drive: 4-6 hrs
5a) Is it illegal to text while driving where you live: No
5b) If illegal, why do you continue to do it:N/A
6) Do you talk on your phone while driving: Yes
7a) Is it illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving where you living: No
7b) If illegal, why do you continue to do it: N/A
8a) Do you agree or disagree with a cell usage ban: Disagree
8b) Why or why not: Txting should be illegal but talking the phone with a hands-free device should be legal.
9) What kind of ban do you think should be in affect: A ban of txting but not talking
10) Current ban range from $100 to $500 in fines, can be a misdemeanor offense and include jail time, what do you think is an appropriate fine for texting/talking on phone while driving: Its a little steep but if it keeps people from doing it, fine
11) Do you believe texting while driving is a distraction: Yes
12) Do you believe talking on a phone more of a distraction than texting: No
13) Do you believe texting/talking on a phone while driving is worse than drunk driving: No way
15) Do you think the federal government should make a nation wide ban of cell phone usage while drive: No

Last edited:
1) Age: 33
2) Location: Iowa
3) Sex: yep
4) Do you text while driving: yep
5a) Is it illegal to text while driving where you live: yep
5b) If illegal, why do you continue to do it: because in iowa they can't pull you over for only texting. You have to do something else wrong to pull you over, so screw'em
6) Do you talk on your phone while driving: yep
7a) Is it illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving where you living: nope
7b) If illegal, why do you continue to do it:
8a) Do you agree or disagree with a cell usage ban: agree and disagree, there should be a ban only for idiot's that can't drive and talk!
8b) Why or why not:
10) Current ban range from $100 to $500 in fines, can be a misdemeanor offense and include jail time, what do you think is an appropriate fine for texting/talking on phone while driving: nothing, we already have too many stupid laws!
11) Do you believe texting while driving is a distraction: not for me
12) Do you believe talking on a phone more of a distraction than texting: nope
13) Do you believe texting/talking on a phone while driving is worse than drunk driving: nope

1) Age: 26
2) Location: Atlanta, Ga
4) Do you text while driving:No
5a) Is it illegal to text while driving where you live: Yes
5b) If illegal, why do you continue to do it: N/A
6) Do you talk on your phone while driving: Yes
7a) Is it illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving where you living: In a car no, in a commercial vehicle yes
7b) If illegal, why do you continue to do it: Because I use a bluetooth headset, which makes it much less distracting and no one can tell if your talking or singing along with the radio
8a) Do you agree or disagree with a cell usage ban: Agree
8b) Why or why not: I have seen many accidents caused by people paying more attention to their phones than to the people in front of them or around them
10) Current ban range from $100 to $500 in fines, can be a misdemeanor offense and include jail time, what do you think is an appropriate fine for texting/talking on phone while driving: I think those fines are fine
11) Do you believe texting while driving is a distraction: Yes, very much so
12) Do you believe talking on a phone more of a distraction than texting: Yes, but I believe using a bluetooth headset makes it much less distracting
13) Do you believe texting/talking on a phone while driving is worse than drunk driving: No

Question
1) Age:17
2) Location: Caledonia Minnesota
4) Do you text while driving:no
5a) Is it illegal to text while driving where you live:nope
5b) If illegal, why do you continue to do it:I don't
6) Do you talk on your phone while driving:no
7a) Is it illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving where you living:yea
7b) If illegal, why do you continue to do it: I DON"T SOTP ASSUMING
8a) Do you agree or disagree with a cell usage ban:agree
8b) Why or why not: have had friends get hurt or killed from it
9) Write a bill for cell phone ban, please read current proposed bills to get ideas. WHQ
10) Current ban range from $100 to $500 in fines, can be a misdemeanor offense and include jail time, what do you think is an appropriate fine for texting/talking on phone while driving:I have no idea
11) Do you believe texting while driving is a distraction:YES
12) Do you believe talking on a phone more of a distraction than texting:NO
13) Do you believe texting/talking on a phone while driving is worse than drunk driving:
about the same

1) Age: 16
2) Location: Mc Roberts, Kentucky
4) Do you text while driving: no
5a) Is it illegal to text while driving where you live: no
5b) If illegal, why do you continue to do it: i don't text
6) Do you talk on your phone while driving: sometimes
7b) If illegal, why do you continue to do it: it's not illegal
8a) Do you agree or disagree with a cell usage ban: disagree
8b) Why or why not: because talking doesn't really distract you while driving, atleast not me. now texting on the other hand, it can be very distracting and since you can't pay as much attention to driving while texting then it may cause an accident (was an accident at my school a couple months ago where a new 2011 mustang gt hit the back of the school bus, she (the driver of the mustang) was texting when it happened.)
i really don't know much about legal stuff but i would make it to where you wouldn't get thrown in jail for it but you should atleast get a small fine or a warning or something.
10) Current ban range from $100 to $500 in fines, can be a misdemeanor offense and include jail time, what do you think is an appropriate fine for texting/talking on phone while driving: if you're going to be fined, then at the max $100
13) Do you believe texting/talking on a phone while driving is worse than drunk driving: no because if you're drunk then you're going to stay drunk for quite a while, if you're texting you can just look back up at the road and be done with it.

1) Age: 17
2) Location: PA
4) Do you text while driving: I'll read them, reply at a stop.
5a) Is it illegal to text while driving where you live: No
5b) If illegal, why do you continue to do it: N/A
6) Do you talk on your phone while driving: Occasionally.
7a) Is it illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving where you living: No
7b) If illegal, why do you continue to do it: N/A
8b) Why or why not: It causes a lot of accidents.
Be allowed at red lights / stop signs.
10) Current ban range from $100 to $500 in fines, can be a misdemeanor offense and include jail time, what do you think is an appropriate fine for texting/talking on phone while driving: $100
13) Do you believe texting/talking on a phone while driving is worse than drunk driving: Texting, yes. Talking, no.

(Did this with my dad)
1) Age:38
2) Location: Roxbury, New Jersey
4) Do you text while driving: On certain occasions/Emergencies
5a) Is it illegal to text while driving where you live: Yes
5b) If illegal, why do you continue to do it: No
6) Do you talk on your phone while driving: Only on spearkerphone, otherwise no
7a) Is it illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving where you living: Yes
7b) If illegal, why do you continue to do it: No
8b) Why or why not: Deffinately would Result in less accidents/less deaths
10) Current ban range from $100 to $500 in fines, can be a misdemeanor offense and include jail time, what do you think is an appropriate fine for texting/talking on phone while driving: $450
13) Do you believe texting/talking on a phone while driving is worse than drunk driving: No

1) Age: 19
2) Location: Ontario, Canada
4a) Do you drive: Yes
4b) If so, on average, how many miles or hours a week do you drive: 100
5) Do you text while driving: nope
6a) Is it illegal to text while driving where you live: yep
6b) If illegal and you do text while driving, why do you continue to do it: N/A
7) Do you talk on your phone while driving: Sometimes
8a) Is it illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving where you living: yes
8b) If illegal and you use your phone, why do you continue to do it: sometimes its necessary
9a) Do you agree or disagree with a cell usage ban: Agree
9b) Why or why not: Some people are too bad at driving to multi-task
10) What kind of ban do you think should be in affect: progressive fines to suspesions
11) Current ban range from $100 to $500 in fines, can be a misdemeanor offense and include jail time, what do you think is an appropriate fine for texting/talking on phone while driving: Yes
12) Do you believe texting while driving is a distraction: Yes
13) Do you believe talking on a phone more of a distraction than texting: No
14) Do you believe texting/talking on a phone while driving is worse than drunk driving: Depends how drunk you are
15) Do you think the federal government should make a nation wide ban of cell phone usage while drive: Yes

Last edited:
Question
1) Age: 27
2) Location: california
4) Do you text while driving: guilty
5a) Is it illegal to text while driving where you live: yes
5b) If illegal, why do you continue to do it: addicted to it
6) Do you talk on your phone while driving: with hands free device
7b) If illegal, why do you continue to do it: n/a
8a) Do you agree or disagree with a cell usage ban: agree with texting ban not talking
8b) Why or why not: why texting can be dangerous some times you need to talk while driving
9) Write a bill for cell phone ban, please read current proposed bills to get ideas. Sorry but i dont think i could do this part
10) Current ban range from $100 to $500 in fines, can be a misdemeanor offense and include jail time, what do you think is an appropriate fine for texting/talking on phone while driving: i think those fine are pretty good
13) Do you believe texting/talking on a phone while driving is worse than drunk driving: no but in some cases it could be

ok guys i editted the questions, if you could edit your post to answer the extra questions that would be great.
thanks everyone for help

Question
1) Age:19
2) Location:Saskatoon,Sask, Canada
3) Sex:A lot
4a) Do you drive:Yes
4b) If so, on average, how many miles or hours a week do you drive:8-10 hrs
5) Do you text while driving: sometimes
6a) Is it illegal to text while driving where you live:Yes it is
6b) If illegal and you do text while driving, why do you continue to do it: I hate talking on the phone haha
7) Do you talk on your phone while driving: Not very often
8a) Is it illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving where you living:Yes unless your using a handsfree device
8b) If illegal and you use your phone, why do you continue to do it:Because if its an important call im not going to slam on the brakes and pull over. If im in rush hour traffic your barely moving therefor not dangerous at all.
9a) Do you agree or disagree with a cell usage ban: Yes
9b) Why or why not:i do , some people are very bad with there phones. Not paying attention to the road at all.
10) What kind of ban do you think should be in affect:Our law is no driving while on the cell phone or 300 dollar fine and 3 points on licence
11) Current ban range from $100 to $500 in fines, can be a misdemeanor offense and include jail time, what do you think is an appropriate fine for texting/talking on phone while driving: I believe a $ fine and no record would be acceptable
12) Do you believe texting while driving is a distraction: yes big time
13) Do you believe talking on a phone more of a distraction than texting: no because you can actully look forward
14) Do you believe texting/talking on a phone while driving is worse than drunk driving: absolutly not
15) Do you think the federal government should make a nation wide ban of cell phone usage while drive: well thats up to them.

1) Age: 17
2) Location: NC
4a) Do you drive: Yes
4b) If so, on average, how many miles or hours a week do you drive: 100?
5) Do you text while driving: Yes
6a) Is it illegal to text while driving where you live:Yes
6b) If illegal and you do text while driving, why do you continue to do it: it is usually important
7) Do you talk on your phone while driving: yes
8a) Is it illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving where you living: i think
8b) If illegal and you use your phone, why do you continue to do it: it doesnt effect my driving
9a) Do you agree or disagree with a cell usage ban: disagree since i text all the time
9b) Why or why not:why not?
10) What kind of ban do you think should be in affect: Nothing
11) Current ban range from $100 to $500 in fines, can be a misdemeanor offense and include jail time, what do you think is an appropriate fine for texting/talking on phone while driving: a warning.
12) Do you believe texting while driving is a distraction: Not for me but maybe for others
13) Do you believe talking on a phone more of a distraction than texting: Yes
14) Do you believe texting/talking on a phone while driving is worse than drunk driving: NO
15) Do you think the federal government should make a nation wide ban of cell phone usage while drive: nah

1) Age:33
2) Location:OHIO
3) Sex:Male
4b) If so, on average, how many miles or hours a week do you drive:400+ miles/week
5) Do you text while driving:Occasionally
6a) Is it illegal to text while driving where you live:No
6b) If illegal and you do text while driving, why do you continue to do it:N/A
7) Do you talk on your phone while driving:Yes
8a) Is it illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving where you living:No
8b) If illegal and you use your phone, why do you continue to do it: N/A
9a) Do you agree or disagree with a cell usage ban: Agree
9b) Why or why not: It is distracting and dangerous. I see a lot of people paying more attention to their phones than the road everyday.
10) What kind of ban do you think should be in affect: Total ban
11) Current ban range from $100 to $500 in fines, can be a misdemeanor offense and include jail time, what do you think is an appropriate fine for texting/talking on phone while driving: Fines to jail time depending on whether they cause injury of death to someone.
12) Do you believe texting while driving is a distraction: Yes
13) Do you believe talking on a phone more of a distraction than texting: No
14) Do you believe texting/talking on a phone while driving is worse than drunk driving: NO!!!!!
15) Do you think the federal government should make a nation wide ban of cell phone usage while drive: Yes

Question
1) Age:45
2) Location:Michigan
3) Sex:M
4b) If so, on average, how many miles or hours a week do you drive:250 miles, 12 hrs.
5) Do you text while driving:No
6a) Is it illegal to text while driving where you live:Yes
6b) If illegal and you do text while driving, why do you continue to do it:N/A
7) Do you talk on your phone while driving:No
8a) Is it illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving where you living:No
8b) If illegal and you use your phone, why do you continue to do it:N/A
9a) Do you agree or disagree with a cell usage ban:Agree
9b) Why or why not:They do cause accidents.
10) What kind of ban do you think should be in affect:Talk/text
11) Current ban range from $100 to $500 in fines, can be a misdemeanor offense and include jail time, what do you think is an appropriate fine for texting/talking on phone while driving:Chopping off your ears & fingers with a rusty hatchet soaked in medical waste.
12) Do you believe texting while driving is a distraction:Yes
13) Do you believe talking on a phone more of a distraction than texting:No
14) Do you believe texting/talking on a phone while driving is worse than drunk driving:No
15) Do you think the federal government should make a nation wide ban of cell phone usage while drive:Yes