project: winch and HIDs on blaster

The hubs were made for a honda, that is why they dont fit your blaster...

but the blaster hubs fit on the honda. the size appeared to be the same and the same number of splines. regardless i spent an hour filing and now they fit. and i reversed my front wheels because the offset on the inside was bigger and now the bike is wide and grippy

i picked up a battery the other day. its an es20lbs from walmart. glassmat battery. the paperwork claims 18Ah at 10 hrs. but the winch draws 44 amps/hour at 1000 lbs. so in theory its enough right? because 18Ah/10hr is roughly 44Ah/4.09hr? i have to build the battery box today and then this weekend i can try it out. and if the battery blows up ill just warranty it and get a new one haha. if this battery cant run my winch i guess im s.o.l.

I have done the conversion to add a battery for hid lights, its easy. First your stator has 2 parts. one side does the ignition (back part) the front part is for lights etc. The front part is what gets rewound for more output. to do the conversion you must also modify the front part by floating the ground. All you do is take the winding where it grounds on the stator plate, and instead of grounding it to the plate attach it to a wire running up the frame with the rest of the wires. Replace the voltage regulator with a rectifier. I got a universal one from Baja designs. wire that up per the directions and add the battery.

As for it being powerfull enough to run the winch, that depends somewhat on the battery size. Whenever the bike is running you are charging the battery.

i need help from someone with experience! i took a rectifier regulator off of a honda we had laying around. ran great but the trans went. tested the rectifier and it tested good. im not sure how to test the regulator aside from running the bike. hooked it up and i am in fact converting the ac to dc. but at something like 10vdc at idle and 20+vdc at 2000rpm. so i would assume the issue was the regulator within the unit? so i tried hooking up 3 different external 12vdc regulators. same results. i dont know what to do at this point. i really need some advice. thanks in advance.

and thanks for the calculator link

i doubt anyone wants to look this far into my project but im going to ask anyways.

from the stator i have 2 yellow wires. both power outs now correct? one from each end of the lighting coil with no connection to engine/frame ground. the rectifier regulator has 5 wires. after looking over the honda trx250ex wiring diagram i have concluded that the connections go..... 2 yellow wires connect to the 2 yellow wires on the stator. that is my ac power in to the rectifier. the green wire goes to battery ground and to grounding the case of the rectifier regulator and all my electronics. now the red wire and the black wire are both positive from my understanding. i know it seams weird but the key connects the red and the black wires when it is in the on position. red goes to the key and to the battery. thats it. black is the power feed to all the lights and stuff on the bike. is that the wire for the regulator? like red is the power feed wire and black is the lighting circuit but where the black goes into the rectifier regulator, thats the power feed into the regulator to suck off the excess voltage? im going to check all my connections in the morning ill let you guys know what happens. if i dont have good voltage by tomorrow im ordering a trail tech rectifier regulator and starting over. ill just tell my wife its a birthday present to myself haha. ive been throwing a lot of money into this thing lately. i hope its all worth it in the end.

as of this morning i have 3 volts at the dc side. when i rev it drops to .5 or so (battery disconnected obviously). im going with bad regulator. ill order one later. rickys or trail tech? or anything better out there? im thinking trail tech but ill wait for some advice.

couldn't pay me to use anything Rick, Ricky's Ricks, or RM Stator.

Never heard anything bad about trailtech. At least with a new unit you'll have instructions. No telling how that Honda reg is wired.

Never heard anything bad about trailtech. At least with a new unit you'll have instructions. No telling how that Honda reg is wired.

ive spent a decent amount of time looking over the honda wiring diagram. im positive its hooked up right. the regulator is just bad. i ordered a trail tech last night. does anyone want to know why?!?!?! because they had a phone number in the usa. and i called that number and i actually got connected to someone in america. i was shocked.

ive spent a decent amount of time looking over the honda wiring diagram. im positive its hooked up right. the regulator is just bad. i ordered a trail tech last night. does anyone want to know why?!?!?! because they had a phone number in the usa. and i called that number and i actually got connected to someone in america. i was shocked.

What is the world coming to, wish we could do that in Aussie!

so i ordered some led lights. my plan is to use the led floodlights as low beams, and later on i will add a single hid spot, and in the high beam position i will be running both led lights and the hid spot using a diode. but i cant put the hid on until i get the high output stator.

the led lights claim 27watts but all the reviews say they are between 18 and 22. so call it 20 per lights is 40 on the led lights and that still leaves me 35 to run the hid and a 1watt led taillight. cutting it close but if i turn the hid off when i dont need it to let the battery catch back up.... ill be fine. i hope haha

so i ordered some led lights. my plan is to use the led floodlights as low beams, and later on i will add a single hid spot, and in the high beam position i will be running both led lights and the hid spot using a diode. but i cant put the hid on until i get the high output stator.

the led lights claim 27watts but all the reviews say they are between 18 and 22. so call it 20 per lights is 40 on the led lights and that still leaves me 35 to run the hid and a 1watt led taillight. cutting it close but if i turn the hid off when i dont need it to let the battery catch back up.... ill be fine. i hope haha

Sounds cool! I want to see the lights you are using, I have been looking at led lights trying to decide on what kind I like!

Sounds cool! I want to see the lights you are using, I have been looking at led lights trying to decide on what kind I like!

I will definitely be posting pictures asap. They got delivered today and will be installed this week some time. Led lights require dc power though. Just something to keep in mind. I ordered a trail tech rectifier regulator that i also have to install. Some people say you can just rectify the ac to dc and you're good. I think a small battery is a better option. Either way... I'll be posting soon

here is the battery, and the fuse/relay for the winch. the rectifier will also be mounted there.

here is my key. off kills the bike, on position puts power to the switches

led lights mounted up. just loosely wired to test for now.

led lights on

and a link to a video of them lighting up my back yard after dark. theyre mounted to the steering stem so where im going, they point. i hate the idea of mounting them to the frame so i made a bracket to put them in the factory mounting holes. but tomorrow i have to pull it back off and adjust the bracket a little because i tucked them in too far and they hit the gas tank on tight turns.

theyre seriously bright, and when the bike is running they will go from 12.8volts to 14.5 volts. im assuming that means they will get slightly brighter. ill let you know!

BLASTERFUN484 on this site makes all kinds of custom stuff for blasters. I found him on craigslist and swaped some parts, he seemed like a good guy so i thought id give home a shout out. I'll have pictures off some of his stuff on my bike soon.