project: winch and HIDs on blaster

ilm121209

Jan 28, 2014
phila pa
i have a small winch (its about 10 pounds and will be less when i pull the steel cable and replace it with a synthetic line) and an extra set of HID lights. lets see what happens.

the top end is out right now getting bored out. so it will be a couple weeks before i get it up and running but i have a lot of parts to order and a lot of testing to do between now and then.

the plan is to install a larger stator, a rectifier/regulator and a small battery under the seat. remove the tors wiring, the old headlight and oil light, and the oil tank wiring. while all that it happening, im going to take the bike apart piece by piece and sand blast and paint everything. modify the front bumper to hold the cable guide and to shield the winch. maybe run some aux lighting over the motor.

if anyone has done a battery on a blaster before please let me know, i have a few questions about the rectifier/regulator and cant find much information on installing a battery onto a blaster.

before you ask, i need a winch because the trails near my house are terrible because of people with trucks on 44s. i only have 33s on my truck now so dont blame me =) pictures will be up soon, still have to upload them.

if i were doing a dc conversion on a blaster, i would get the parts from trail tech...
Trail Tech || Home page

lots of info on their tech pages...
Trail Tech || Instructions

you'll need to decipher what will work for your application from there

wiring diagrams...
http://gallery.trailtech.net/media/instructions/lights/regrec/010-ELV-71.pdf

http://gallery.trailtech.net/media/instructions/lights/regrec/010-ELV-116.pdf

be sure to keep us updated on this project, i gotta see this....a winch on a blaster, and the places it may go that would need it :)

Last edited:
here she is before it all started

after 75psi on a compression test....

so then i pulled the piston... apparently the guy who rebuilt the motor last time lined the ring gap up over the exhaust port...

then i decided it was time for a total overhaul and start pulling parts

and here she is as of tonight

thanks i will check that site out. whats left of the woods has seen better days. theyre tearing more down every day. i need to find more legal places to ride near philly

Last edited:
A winch ? I can pick my Blaster up by hand. That's how I load it.

not for loading. i can pick the quad up easy. for when i get stuck. not if i get stuck, when i get stuck. i like to push the boundaries a lot.

Do your sums, winches tend to use a fair amount of power to operate (even small ones).

yeah i had a winch on my trx400ex. im going to look up the stats on that bikes stator and rectifier/regulator, see if i can get the blaster even close.

I honestly don't know yet, I still have to look it up. I'm going to look it up before I mount anything to the frame. I got it used from my dad. It is a warn RT 15.

I have one more important question. If I am installing a rectifier / regulator, do I need to retain the stock 12 volt regulator or can I remove that? I would imagine after I installed the new rectifier / regulator, I will no longer need that because there will be another regulator.

i found some info on the winch.

and the honda stock stator is over 100 watts. so i most likely will have to upgrade my stator.

I'm sure you're familiar with Ricks Motorsport electrics. I believe they offer a higher output stator.

yes but if im not mistaken the largest stator output is 75 watts. im considering getting the adjustable timing setup with the 75 watt stator. im just not sure if the 75 watts will be enough to keep the battery from draining down too low when i run the winch and the lights at the same time.

maybe someone with a little better electrical knowledge could chime in? assuming the winch ran at full draw for a full minute, along with the hid light, which i believe only draws 35 watts once its lit, with the stats i posted above for the winch.... am i in the danger zone or will this work?

my boss has some special battery on his big dog chopper that is a standard motorcycle size but puts out way more amps. id rather not have to buy that but if its necessary, would that help bridge the gap?

You need to do a power drain test on the winch.

See how much current it will draw when fully loaded.

40watts is not much when it comes to supplying a fully loaded winch.

What is the amp/hour of the battery you will be using.

It draws 65 amps fully loaded but it should never be fully loaded. The chart it like the 8th or 9th post in this thread. It draws 44 amps at 1000 pounds which is still probably more than it will draw. But i haven't picked a battery yet.

Also i picked up a 2000 blaster body with no plastics and no motor. All the bearings and bushings appear to be newer so im going to modify that one instead of fixing mine (there is some damage to my frame where the control arm mounts)

The bike came with some goodies. A set of tag bars, and lsr steering stem and bar mount. I'm probably going to keep the bars but maybe someone will want to trade something for the stem and bar mount? I will post pictures later. And i will get measurements tomorrow because it appears to be a +2 or so. Like i said, tomorrow.

also, will a mikuni 32-33 work well on a blaster bored to 67.75? my factory carb is missing from my shed and i dont want to buy a new one. but i had a mikuni. any suggestions?

as far as the latest update on my project goes, the cylinder is still out at the shop. im going to call them tomorrow to see when it will be done. im considering rebuilding the bottom end but all seems fine there so i might skip that this time and regret it later. the frame and plastics have all be cleaned and will be going into my work to get painted. im also going to be making the winch mount brackets and fitting the winch to the frame. i modified the mikuni carb lid to accept the throttle cable from my thumb throttle instead of the broken twist throttle that was on it. and im replacing nearly every bolt with 12.9 class allen head bolts because all the philips bolts are getting abused. and im not dealing with having bolts break on me any more.

i got the cylinder back a few days ago and since then its been non stop. the motor is back together, i built a custom intake to fit my mikuni 32mm to the factory air box. and start working on the wiring. thursday im ordering the rectifier regulator and a battery. its all coming together!

engine degreaser wall mart lol.. everytime ive bought a blaster ive need it..then i bought a squeak clean blaster and it leaked oil :( not my current one