Pre-Mix calculations

just wondering what oil would be better for best protection.I have the motomaster preamuim 2 stroke oil or would the amsoil hp lnjector oil be better protection.I have been runnin the motomaster would it hurt to go with the amsoil.I think the motomaster is a demestic and the amsoil is a synthetic oil info on this would be nice thanks.

to be honest, there are some nice exotic oils out there.. the best oil i think, is castrol R40. its expensive and hard to use, but in wear and friction tests has proven to be the best following some synthetics..

also, synthetics for injection tend to be thinner than synthetics for premix.. thick is good.. if your fouling plugs it may equally be rich mixture or too much oil.. consult the post on plug chop for pics of plugs.. I use Motul 800, its a dirty oil, you need to be running hard to burn it cleanly, but it gives a mean oil film..

Castor based oils are generally the best.. Castor based oils are still used to lubricate some jet engines..

does anyone have a reccomendation of what mixture to run in my blaster. It is bored .60 over. the guy i bought it off of said he ran 60:1 in it and that sounds kinda lean to me. and is it ok to just use the arctic cat 2 cycle oil from the dealer that i use in my sled?

The normal ratio is said to be about 32:1 or 40:1 but no one ever says what type of oil to use. I've read a lot of different articles on it and most of the research says to go with a castor based 2 stroke oil but what does everyone else think? I was thinking perhaps the klotz stuff? Heard good things about it. I know not to mix in the tank if I do switch oil but what oil should I use. I do light riding, nothing outrageous or super fast. Just mess around and have fun riding with my nephew on his 230. I'm probably going to start running 40:1 as well.

What's a good clean burning oil that won't require me to run the hell out of the engine to get it to burn up? Maybe Klotz Super Techniplate 2? The reviews on it seem to suggest that it is a good trail oil and burns pretty clean, anyone got experience with it?

And just so you know if you have different jets it can affect. Some oil is thicker so to get the same amount of oil into the engine with a thinner oil you need a larger jet. Just throwing it out there for the post above me. I'm not sure the thin oils or the thick oils.

Last edited:
my little brother has a 2006 kx 125 and its race ready besides stock motor and he races and my Dad swears by castor 927. they havent rebuilt the bike yet and its been rode pretty steady since it was bought off the show room floor in 06.

yes, more oil in your mixture will make your engine run leaner. Since you are putting more oil in and less gas. Ex. so at your 32 to 1 mix you have 5 parts gas and 3 parts oil (im making up numbers here). Then if you mix it 20 to 1 you have 3 parts gas and 5 parts oil inva given volume going thorugh the same size jet. So your engine is now running leaner.

Is this kid serious?

Dude, more oil in the mixture makes it more rich. Whenever the gas: oil ratio goes down, it creates a richer mixture. 20:1 is SUPER Rich. At 20:1, you will definitely be fouling plugs and smoking like crazy. The higher the gas: oil ratio, the leaner the mixture gets.

Some people man..... This kid is banned but I still need to correct him

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscx2.0
yes, more oil in your mixture will make your engine run leaner. Since you are putting more oil in and less gas. Ex. so at your 32 to 1 mix you have 5 parts gas and 3 parts oil (im making up numbers here). Then if you mix it 20 to 1 you have 3 parts gas and 5 parts oil inva given volume going thorugh the same size jet. So your engine is now running leaner.

Is this kid serious?

Dude, more oil in the mixture makes it more rich. Whenever the gas: oil ratio goes down, it creates a richer mixture. 20:1 is SUPER Rich. At 20:1, you will definitely be fouling plugs and smoking like crazy. The higher the gas: oil ratio, the leaner the mixture gets.

Some people man..... This kid is banned but I still need to correct him

yes, more oil in your mixture will make your engine run leaner.

He got this right. /\ /\ /\

Let's get this correct.

More oil = less gas = lean fuel mix!

Less oil = more fuel = rich fuel mix!

You are somewhat confused! /\ /\ /\

Change from 32:1 mix to 25:1 mix. more oil = less fuel = lean fuel mix, at least one jet size.

Plug fouling has very little to do with oil ratios, if the jetting is correct the combustion chamber temp is hot enough to burn the oil residue.

I use 25:1, with my jetting slightly on the rich side, and never one fouled plug.

When speaking of a lean or rich mix, people are usually speaking of the Air fuel ratio.