possible jetting issues

squadlife

May 26, 2015
I have a 03 blaster and I'm just trying to get it to idle correctly but it just wont. This is what I've discovered since getting it apart and just looking at it.. It's got B1 Toomey exhaust and its got upgraded reeds by bosine(spellchecklol) I traded this quad so I didn't do any work on it prior.. It's supposedly has a 250 big bore kit bit it has a stock jug and stock carb.. Now back to the problem it had a cracked oil tank so it looked like the person before me tried to delete the oil injection but didn't do it properly so I reconnected it and primed it and used my old tank off my 00' and before I did this it was back firing pretty bad.. Now that its getting oil injected again and running straight 87 the backfire is gone but the first problem remained which was the idle issue.. I seen the carb cap was held together with zip ties and come to find out it was stripped so I took the carb apart and found out it was stock with 230 main jet and everything so I just took the parts from his carb and rebuilt one i had from my 00' laying around.. Needless to say i got it running and not backfiring but the idle problem remains.. I got it warm and messed with the screw under the seat and the air screw in the carb but it just wont hold an idle so that's brought me to the jets and carb needing to be rebuild because it is running aftermarket exhaust and reeds and sh*t.. Where should i start in size and what not?? Thanks for your time guys! Oh it does have a k and n aftermarket air filter and the air box is stock with the stock cover still on could this be a problem not enough air? I've heard of guys removing the cover or drilling holes in it.. Help me out guys I wanna ride this quad!!!

If it has a Toomey they call for a 310 main jet. That stock jet is wayyyyyy too small and is dangerously lean. I started with a 310 main which was fine but I bumped it to a 320 for a slightly richer mix to have piece of mind. Of course check your plug to confirm.

If it has a Toomey they call for a 310 main jet. That stock jet is wayyyyyy too small and is dangerously lean. I started with a 310 main which was fine but I bumped it to a 320 for a slightly richer mix to have piece of mind. Of course check your plug to confirm.
I pulled the plug out and it was oily and black as sh*t.

Is my air box gonna be some of the problem? It's stock and the air filter is a k&n??

I have stock air box with K&N filter as well. You need to remove the cover. At a minimum drill 12 1inch holes in it. I would just remove it though.

We have the same quad. I have a 03 with K&N filter, no air box lid , 320 main jet, 35 pilot jet , Boyesen reeds, air screw 1 turn out, TORS delete and oil injection delete. I'm at sea level with 75-85 degree weather.

Seeing as though you have the same quad that should give you a STARTING point. You need to plug chop to confirm all this for your specific quad in your specific location

Reactions: squadlife
I'm going to start with a 310 main and a 30 pilot and go from there.. As well as I'm going to remove the cover off the air box. I'll let you know how it goes!

Thank you that's where ill start I'm doing it today or tomorrow so ill let you guys know what happens.

Thanks alot guys I still haven't gone to the shop to get the parts but ima trust you guys and grab the 32.5 pilot and a 320 main and set the needle at mid clip and go from there.. Should have an answer for you guys around 5 or so if I do it today! Thanks for all the help!

Reactions: pudvah
Tried the new main jet at 320 and the pilot at 32.5 which was already at that size.. Took the air box cover off and it back fired like hell. I put the cover back on and it ran little better but still back fired a bit and wouldn't hold a damn idle. So I don't know I did forget to reset the needle to middle clip but is that going to cause this backfiring and running like sh*t? I don't know what to do..

That backfire could be a reed realted problem. When you have the carb off, look in with a flashlight and make sure that they are intact and are sealing.