porting tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the rotation of the tool reverse? This is a problem if it doesn't. The right angle tools I use from CC specialty can be loaded from both ends. I use one for the right side and one for the left. This reverses the rotation of the bit and allows you to cut without chatter or jumping the bits. Another question is can you vary the speed of the bit and how do you do it?

Another question is can you vary the speed of the bit and how do you do it?
If I remember seeing it right the collar to the hose from the tool acts as air flow control there by speed control, Seen them on spray hopper guns to control air flow for pattern matching textures on walls.

Ken, the tool doesn't reverse and you're right, the chatter is an issue but I found if you angle the tool away from the direction to cut and don't "push" the chatter is kept to an minimum.

The tool has a 180 degree on-off air control on the root of the tool (where the rubber air hose comes in). The air control is a fair control (for an air tool) but in typical air tool fashion, the tool doesn't have a lot of torque at low air volume settings so you end up running it at a high rate of speed.

I'm not saying this is the right tool for the job. The right tool for the job is a CC specialties right angle handpiece on a foredom die grinder but the kit will cost about $900 plus tooling and only people who are making a living on this can afford that sort of hardware. This right angle pencil grinder is a way to do this without spending a fortune on it to do this yourself.

The potential market here is folks like N8t and I who like doing things ourselves. This isn't for folks who mind trailblazing..

Alrighty then.

I did some digging in the bolt bin... and found out a few things. First, even thought this machine is made in Taiwan, nothing on it is metric. FP must have spec'd everything in standard thread.

It seems that the collet "bolt" is a machine thread. A UNEF #12 - 32 thread, which isn't really common but not impossible to source either. I couldn't have lucked up and had it be a M6 x 1.0 apparently but it's still doable. I'm going to look around the machine shop here and see if they happen to have any machine screws in extra fine pitch. If not, I'll probably order a small box so I have plently of tries at making one.

I'll let everyone know what I find when I know some more!

The collet situation has stalled for the moment. You know what I'm up against, bigger fish to fry. I mean I could pick up the phone and call MSC and order one today for $27 so I'm not feeling rushed about it but haven't made any progress on making my own besides determining the thread pitch and size...

I have projects piling up like firewood....

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and purchase a collet from MSC. I mean, I could spend hours making a collet (and would if I didn't have things sitting around to work on) but with the time needed to make the collet, it's just not worth it right now.

I do know now, anyone who is going to purchase the right angle pencil grinder should plan on purchasing the 3mm collet in case they run into that size tooling.

Yeah, so figure about $160 for this instead of $133. Still a FAR cry from a foredom...

Well my plan was to make a collet but with the summer approaching I have ALL kinds of work piling up. People want their boats and lawnmowers serviced and I don't have hours to spend out there fashioning a collet out of a relatively difficult to find screw to start with.

fabrication expenses lie in time invested. i often fight that battle in my head. should i fabricate or just buy one. my time is money and often i can make more money in the same time than the cost of whatever im trying to fab. however i cant get over the "i can diy it" mentality ,lol. Im contemplating making long flexible rotary bits . . . . . . any one know where i can just buy some?

This is a great thread and idea. Ill probably be looking for alternative pencil grinders or other methods of porting. Thanks for all the info. I did the DIY port with just a 40,000 rpm dremel, flex shaft, and a lot of bits lol. Ill report back if I find anything interesting guys.

Found an interesting site.. Porting calculator and port map software. You can buy them in a bundle with paypal for 23.75. The porting calculator costs 16.25 by itself and the port map analyzer costs 18.75 by itself...

i want long shank burs that are flexible. at work i use various flex bits that will bend more than 90* but they are 18 inch to 6ft. if i could scale them down w burrs they would follow the transfer contours better. post a link if u can find them

You can't get burrs in flexible that would be able to cut anything. They would run out of round and banjo in an instant.

shadow, I've considered buying those two programs.

sivicdude, I too have considered. I mean for the price, I'll never miss that 30 bucks. Plus I would always have these two stroke modding programs at my disposal.

In Ken's video he mentions blue point stones, or something like that. My old ears can't make out where he said to get them. Could someone post that info for an old fart?

Status
Not open for further replies.