porting tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

sicivicdude

Apr 7, 2010
North Carolina
I know Ken O'connor has the DIY porting videos in the engine section but what we have here is a little tooling help.

Most people feel like the job of porting is completely over their head and except the bravest of folks, it probably is. For those who feel like it's up their alley, I'll lay out my experiences and perhaps it can help someone make some decisions.

For people who are going to be making a living on this, only the best tools will do. There aren't a lot of choices for those folks, CC specialties is one of the only manufacturers of specialty porting tools but their products are very expensive (high quality but pricey) and out of the price range of someone who is not going to be doing this for a living...

I have found tools which will work comparatively well without the relatively extreme prices.

First, I have made a few mistakes (not just mistakes but learning mistakes) and will cover those too. I went out and bought a dremel tool, a dremel right angle adapter, and a flex shaft. While the dremel tool is a useful tool for a lot of jobs and will work moderately well for the "basic" porting Ken O shows in his video's it and its attachments have a few drawbacks.

First, the tool itself is heavy. It's an electric motor and that fatigues the wrist if you don't have a flex shaft. After an hour or so your forearm feels like it could fall off...

Second, during its operation the machine and its attachments get very hot, especially the flexible shaft. The bearings in the end don't really get too hot but the flex cable itself gets pretty warm and with such a small hand piece, there's not a lot of mass to absorb that heat.

Third, the right angle attachment is very bulky. For advertising that it can "get into tight spaces" I sure found a bunch of spaces it could not get into... including blaster cylinders well.... Also, the right angle attachment generates a LOT of heat by itself. The gears are not cross-cut so they have a fair amount of resistance and produce a LOT of noise.

Fourth, while a foredom drive motor produces GOBS of torque at low RPM's, the dremel needs to be moving to have any power at all. With the flex shaft installed, that means anytime you apply enough force to cut a hard to reach area or get the bit jammed, the motor is spinning fast enough to turn the flex shaft into a coil spring. It will wrap all up and twist seven ways from Sunday...

I have found the solution to most of those problems... pencil grinders! They are air operated micro die grinders. They have several advantages and a few disadvantages. I think the good outweigh the bad's by a LOT. First off, they use 1/8" collets so the run-of-the-mill dremel bits will work in them. They relatively little air considering their size and power output. The air controls are made into the base of the handle, skilled, you can operate the entire thing with one hand...

SANY0020-5.jpg

I started off buying the straight red one which was very inexpensive off Ebay because they are popular and everywhere. I bid $12 on it with like $8 shipping and won it. It came with two wrenches and a "M" style air fitting. It's a "neiko" brand tool and relatively well built. The bearings roll smooth and runout on the turbine shaft is zero. Free speed is listed as 40,000 RPM @ 90 psi and 4GPM air consumption. So far those figures seem to be underestimated but closer to the actual figures than most (unlike most air tools which GROSSLY underestimate the air consumption). I have a 40 year old (hand-me-down from my dad after he bought it at a yard sale) belt drive speedaire "oiled" air compressor. It's in fair shape but in its hey-day was a medium sized unit and it's hey-day was somewhere in the 80's...but neither of the air tools will drain it past 85 PSI at full tilt.

The tool brings air in through the braided hose into the back of it. The air valve is the silver section which twists 180 degrees from off to on. The spent air is then ducted out of the back of the tool and down the flexible hose over top of the braided hose halfway down. They say that's so the air doesn't blow chips around while you're working on stuff. I would say it also helps greatly in quietening down the tool.... The entire body of the tool is about 6" long and 3/4" round. The hose is about 4 feet long.

I knew that as long as I had no way to turn the diamond bits sideways inside the transfer ports, I didn't have a chance at actually PORTING any blaster cylinder. I'd be stuck with cleaning the intake, exhaust and lower transfers up and calling it a day. I began a quest for ANYTHING which would allow my 1/8" bits to work sideways inside the bore. Of course, that led me to CC specialties and their $900 price tag for their "normal" porting kit or the dremel right angle attachment.

Not many other choices out there until I stumbled across a right angle pencil grinder which had a grinder wheel attachment for it (cannot use 1/8" bits but really darn close to it) so once I knew what to search for, I was hot on the trail BUTTTTTT the prices were still a little hight for one time use. Snap-on makes one which is about $400 and ampro makes one which is over $200. I knew if I was going to pull this one off, the price of the right angle pencil grinder needed to be in line with what it would run me to purchase a single porting job.... I kept up my search, trolling Ebay, looking through tool catalogs, anywhere I though I might find one of these tools moderately priced. I ended up running across a company which specializes is selling nearly anything called "Global Industrial". On their site, they had a meager advertisement for a right angle die grinder which used 3mm bits (1/8" equivalent for the uninformed) but the listing was very sparse... the dimensions were sketchy and I wasn't sure it was what I wanted or not. Their price for the tool is $133 which is pricy but within my budget I set out to stay under. I ordered it last week and let me tell you guys, it's the bees knees.

It's rated at 1/4" hp 70,000 rpm free speed turbine powered and non-geared. What arrived today is EXACTLY what I've been looking for...

A picture of it with a 1/8" ball burr full length (1.25" long shank) inside the turbine...

SANY0023.jpg

The turbine is hollow inside and thread on the VERY front of it. The collet is designed to stick out a little as possible (you sacrifice the ability to exchange in different size collets like the dremel tool but lose the "collet and nut" design which adds another 1/4" or so to the dremel right angle attachment) so an entire bit can go down through the head for minimum depth reach when you're in a tight spot and not having to cut carbine burr shafts off.

A picture of the tool with 1/8" ball burr inside one of my blaster cylinders. Note that the burr is sitting against the cylinder wall (not down inside the transfer port) and how much clearance is behind the turbine head (at least 1/2").

SANY0022-1.jpg

dude, have you ever considered a career in technical writing ????
awesome write up bro, max reps !!!!!
good luck, keep us posted

Ever considered that you have no idea what my day job is?

I'm actually trying to steer anyone who is looking at playing with their own stuff towards the er.... less expensive ways. It CAN be done lotsa ways but you'll waste a lot of time and money trying to do it the hard (read: cheap as dirt) way when a single moderately priced tool purchase can make it a WHOLE lot easier. I figure knowledge is best served like beer... plentiful and shared among everyone!

I'm going to wait for the degree wheel to show up before I start REALLY playing with this thing (the right angle one anyway) but I'll keep the progress posted. I have a Vito's kit I'm itching to play with...

Reactions: Painthehouse
i think your day job is at a small engine repair shop ?????

Awesome find!! i thought of purchasing one aswell. I ended up using a 6 inch long 1/4 shank carbide ball and my other caveman hand tools. im curious to see how it does at the apex inside the transfer tunnel? it's that hard to reach part. I personally upgraded from the dremmels to a larger less rpm / more torque setup. airpower is nice when it blows the shavings outta the work. post us a vid of it doing transfers so i can convince my self its neccesary i know it would save me hours

you can print degree wheels off the net for free and print them on cd's but i just glued it to some cardboard and stuck it on the fly wheel.

I thought about making a degree wheel but decided the $15 for an aluminum one was worth it if I'm going to be playing a bunch.

The head of the grinder is actually at about 100 degrees so working the apex of the transfers should be doable with this. I may still resort to running emery cloth in through the bottom to get it smooth (as the sanding drum will have trouble reaching that area no matter how expensive the tool turning it is) but we'll have to see before I make any calls on it.

I'll TRY to set up video of me working the transfers but I don't make any guarantees. I don't have a spare camera man of a fancy holding device like Ken O.

can u get a still shot of it buried as far into a transfer as it will go when u get to that part?

I cant wait to try monster triples with welds built up on the outside and i think this is just the tool!!

I don't think you understood the second part... the center of the right angle grinder is completely hollow, straight to the back. You don't have to cut down the shank of the burr in order to fit it down into the head of the tool so if the reach with it all the way collapsed isn't quite enough, simply move the burr shank out some more and reclamp. The entire tooling could (although I wouldn't recommend it) be run completely out, the length of the shank with just the end holding it so it can reach in some DEEEEEP holes.

Still researching... I'm thinking about dropping the coin on the porting program just to see how it works.

porting-programs.com

Once I've got a program which I can manipulate the parameters on, I can see how the changes I might make will affect the outcome with having to ruin a bunch of cylinders! I mean, I understand the basics about how blowdown time and port area affect the power output but cannot put those ideas to the ground without porting a few and then testing them to see how that changes things... Much easier to change the parameters in a program and see how it affects it there. Once I've got a ball park range on what I want, THEN I can go out and get the tooling rolling.

Surfrjag, PM sent about the tools and porting in general.

N8t, I used the right angle grinder tonight on my vito's triple exhaust port (the vito's BBK comes with 12 ports albeit VERY ugly cast ports without any cleanup) and I was able to work the port sideways with a 1/8" diamond ball burr.

I will try to get a still picture of the accessibility tomorrow...

hell yeah thats awesome!! i know the port timing for a good trail port and Strokedtater gave me some hints on a drag port. Most performance 2 strokes have a blow down of around 30-35* my lil bro gabe has some porting software and he just acquired an awesome tuned pipe program that prints templates and accounts for bends of all angles. Obviously the higher the exhaust the higher rpm of powerband. Idk what the difference of the auxilary/triples make for timing other than they add to the port time area. He showed me one graph that i think showed peak rpm exhaust port correlation.

I ordered a handful of new bits and things today. I ordered a few before and they've served their purpose but I need new ones.... I ordered 1/8" shank 1/4" head burr assortment, 1/8" shank 1/8" head burr assortment, and a 1/8" shank 1/8" head diamond burr set.

I also began working on a cylinder tonight just to clean things up. It's actually another member's here, 2stroker99. He's a close neighbor (like 5 minutes away) and he took his top end off to check things out. It's factory bore from 1999 and until recently, had never even been apart. I took some before pictures.... but I think everyone knows what a stock cylinder looks like:

DSC00121.jpg

DSC00126.jpg

DSC00120.jpg

Calm your jets... Just the exhaust port to go now!

I've already got the intake side and transfers done (just haven't taken pictures yet ran out of light before I ran out of aluminum!) now just hogging that huge lip out of there and raising that exhaust port a bit. Maybe done tomorrow but definitely by the time BW gets time to put it on this weekend.

I port matched the transfers, worked that boost port out a bunch, clean smoothed the transfers top and bottom (N8T I'll get some pics tomorrow of the work and the tool doing the job), added boyesen ports, worked the intake windows a bit, and will raise the exhaust port a bit.

I don't think I'm going to try for triple ports on this one simply because I don't want to risk your cylinder. I have a top end which is above it's last bore I'll practice on...

On a side note, how does everyone like the super clear pictures my wife's "new to her" camera takes? Remember the fuzzy grainy pics I had of the a-arms? Cheap sanyo point and shoot... my wife used a Sony mavica camera one of her friends had a while ago and saw one on Ebay starting bid of like $30. No one else even bid against her.... Those pictures were taken inside my garage at night with the flash on and it didn't create a pure whiteout. I was really impressed with the picture quality of an older model camera bought for like $35.

Status
Not open for further replies.