Polaris question

Houseboater

Dec 18, 2012
I know, first post and its not even about a Yamaha. Anyways I am not new to ATVs or wrenching. Been a mechanic all my life. Haven't posted about my Blaster yet as I have found all my answers here.

The one I need help with is an 89 Trail Boss 250 2 stroke. It runs great and strong once warmed up. I have cleaned the carb, filter, and tank. It does not have electric start. When cold (its in the 40-50s here) it will not start. Also note is has no choke right now (cable broken, repair kit on the way). Cold it just will not start. Even with hand over carb. Quick shot of starter fluid and she will jump to life first pull. With rag over carb (essentially acting as a choke, can also keep running with throttle) it will run for a while and start to warm up. Remove rag and keep it running (very minor throttle needed) for about a minute and it will idle all day and run perfectly. Will even restart so long as its still warm.

Crank seals? I have not checked compression yet (lazy) but it seems to run great and has plenty of power once running.

The carburetor on that machine doesn't have an actual choke. It's an "enrichment circuit" (like the one on the blaster) that adds fuel and air to the engine while it's cold to get the engine to run.

Do a leakdown test, clean the carburetor completely, and repair that "choke". Should get your ready to run...

Carb is clean, float set etc. Entire fuel system gone thru. Choke lever on the way. Leak down test after first of the year if it wont start once I replace the choke lever.

You can either build or buy a leakdown tester for ~$30 (member slickerthanyou builds and sells them) so don't put it off. It's invaluable when you are working on a 2 stroke engine that giving you fits! If NOTHING else, it will give you peace of mind that it isn't sucking in air from anywhere it's not supposed to be.

Already spoke with him about buying one. Going to get it soon. Been riding and working on ATVs since I was a kid. I am fearing crank seals but hope not. If it is then it will most likely be the end of this bikes time with me.

Well it has a bad rear caliper (line cut/missing as well and fluid reservoir cracked), both front a arms need bushing, one ball joint, starter bad, no battery, key switch busted, drive belt cover has a hole busted in the top, belt or clutch seems to be slipping just a little (takes to much to get moving compared to other polaris bikes).

All rather easy fixes but the $$$ adds up. I just bought it for $170 and haven't spent a dime on it and it will now run/ride. Should be able to get $200 out of it if nothing else.

I say fix all the mechanical problems then sell it for a nice $800 or so! If you have the time to spend on it then the repairs should not be to costly if its just minor work like bearings, starter and so such. Got any pics?

Its not to bad looking

2012-12-16160657.jpg

Yep. I don't think I have an air leak but I am going to check it later. I fired it up and let it warm up for about 3 min and rode it all day. No issues. Restarted every time with no problem.

It's most likely the failed choke cable that's causing the hard starting condition and nothing more. I recommend a leakdown test just to make absolutely sure that's not an issue but I doubt it is....

I'm going to do one when I get my tester from the guy on here. Going to order it after the 1st of the year. Gotta have it for the blasty so might as well check this one too.

Good deal man! Sounds like you got yourself a decent quad for the money. I agree polaris quads are kinda ugly, I have myself a scrammy 500. I personally love it so I amp partial to the ugly polaris quads haha.

I can get an 02 Scrambler 500 for $1000. Needs carb kit, leaks a little fuel out of the carb while not running. Otherwise nice. Been thinking about it seriously.

If it's four wheel drive and in decent condition (aka matching plastics, minimal rust, brakes work etc etc etc) then jump on it! Scramblers here in NY, with four wheel drive go for $2000 all day

Decent shape but does show its age and the fact that its been ridden but no broken plastic. Also needs rear brake master cylinder for foot pedal. And battery. Rusty exhaust which is normal. Its 4wd.

My back bothers me a lot and I hear the Polaris 500 rides really nice and smooth vs most others. True?

Decent shape but does show its age and the fact that its been ridden but no broken plastic. Also needs rear brake master cylinder for foot pedal. And battery. Rusty exhaust which is normal. Its 4wd.

My back bothers me a lot and I hear the Polaris 500 rides really nice and smooth vs most others. True?

The scrambler rides reallyyyyyy nice. An even smother ride is the sportsman 500 but it's much bigger. The scrambler has really smooth power delivery and is not jerky at all. It doesn't have independent rear suspension though which kinda sucks if you are looking for leisurely ride

Not looking for it to ride like my 750iL BMW but not like a lumber wagon either. The 335 Sportsman my uncle had years ago rode nice from what I remember.