oil pump cover being sprayed ?

darrencurry08

May 7, 2012
Northern Ireland
will i need heatproof paint for the oil pump cover or does it not heat up at all ? and i still have the oil pump in there but the wires are disconnected but i dont want it in there anymore do i need to put the plate on to stop oil coming out from the tranny ? i need to know asap as im going later to buy yellow and black paint spraying front wheels black and then the hubs and cover will be yellow :)

no heat at all. Could do cheep eliminator by just removing gear, think you have to remove clutch cover to do it. Will either need new gasket or at least some good gasket sealer.

JMHO, your results may, and will vary.

Thanks man needed that spraying it yellow :)! Yeah am gonna but the eliminator kit or I might just leave it in there cause its doing no harm but I need a new gasket anyway as its leaking a little like maybe a drop every week I haven't seen any in ages though and I checked the oil level and its still the same :)!

I did my oil pump cover and flywheel cover last winter and there still holding up nicely ! Clean with dish soap and warm water first as Larry's Shee recommended for the best results. I used spray paint specificly for plastics made by rustoleum, hit it with 2 good coats ( allow dry time between coats ) and have had great results. I can still scrub the covers with car soap and a scotch bright sponge and the paint doesn't come off.

does the flywheel cover not heat up mine did on my last blaster the paint flecked off on the first 15 mins

It gets warm but not hot. I used good paint on a Banshee cover and it has held up just fine, and it has a waterpump in there. I would suspect poor prep work, real cheap dollar store paint, or both. :eek:

Yeah theres no way the paint should have flaked off like that, especially in such a short time. Properly prepping the covers ( or any surface to be painted ) and using a good quality paint are equally important ! I would again suggest using dish soap rather then chemicals to thoroughly clean the covers before painting . . . Chemicals could effect the paints ability to adhere to the surface. Then try using a good name brand paint made for plastics, don't go too heavy or overspray as this will effect the final outcome. Allow enough dry time between coats, as well as after the final coat to ensure the paint fully dries/cures . . . You shouldn't have any problems if you follow our instructions and advice !

The flywheel cover takes alot of abuse from your riding boots.Paint doesnt end up lasting much more than a season at best.imo The clutch cover doesnt take any footwear abuse so it should last quite awhile.I also have used rustoleum plastic paint with good results.