Nology Hotwire vs Amr Monster Coil

bigwill

Jun 6, 2011
joppa, md
I am looking into upgrading my coil. I have been doing some research on the amr moster coil and the nology hotwire and i cannot decide which to buy. Can you guys that have experiance with these give me some insight? Im leaning more toward the nology but am still undecided. Is it worth the extra money? Where can i get it besides PB?

That's a tough call. They both tout their products differently.
AMR says it puts out 34% more then stock and Nology says theirs puts out 45,000 volts.
Anybody know a stock Blasty coils voltage output?

That's a tough call. They both tout their products differently.
AMR says it puts out 34% more then stock and Nology says theirs puts out 45,000 volts.
Anybody know a stock Blasty coils voltage output?

Acoording to the numbers, about 15kV BUT according to my research, anything more than 10kV is just wasted UNLESS you have a specific need more voltage.

More voltage is kind of like "race gas", sounds great but it doesn't actually put out more power unless your engine NEEDS it. The only application where I could see needing 45kV (which I don't believe either BTW) is a drag racing outfit using methanol (or something more exotic ;)). Gasoline doesn't need that much voltage to initiate an arc...

Unless dragging, I'd save some loot and go with the monster

The one thing that scares me a little bit is the AMR monster coils don't list an internal resistance. The stock blaster capacitor is limited in the amount of energy it can discharge before overheating and too low an internal resistance (more POWA!) could draw too much energy through the capacitor and burn out your CDI unit.

Awk, I read a thread you had about the amr saying you were having tuning issues with the amr? Can you elaborate alittle bit?

The one thing that scares me a little bit is the AMR monster coils don't list an internal resistance. The stock blaster capacitor is limited in the amount of energy it can discharge before overheating and too low an internal resistance (more POWA!) could draw too much energy through the capacitor and burn out your CDI unit.

I'll have to look into that. Last thing I want is to be broke down on the trail..

By my fuzzy math clearly the Nology would be better from a voltage output perspective.
Which is cool because I made the right choice in coil for a dragger I:I

By my fuzzy math clearly the Nology would be better from a voltage output perspective.
Which is cool because I made the right choice in coil for a dragger I:I

Well, calm down before you go all thumbs up :p. I see two choices from nology, a 3.0 ohms core and a .6 ohms core. 3.0 ohms is going to put out less voltage than the stock coil, the .6 ohms is the "hot coil" and could damage the stock CDI (mainly if used for an extended period of time, which a dragger is not obviously).

Now, the .6ohm core is the coil of choice for the drag racers because it's going to throw more voltage (same watts, just more voltage and less amperage) and we already know it's been used with success, the question is, which core do you have? the 3.0 ohm or the .6 ohm?

My experience with the AMR coil coupled with a hotshot CDI were corrupted by massive airleaks from a yamaha dealership gouging my cases during a crank install, this was all before, and the cause of my finding ken oconnor racing, since both my bikes motors are fully KOR built and assembled, it goes without saying they are now correctly done, and i may give the AMR/HOTSHOT
combo another try.
I also know for fact there are others running the AMR coil alone and with the hotshot with zero problems, techblaster being one of them that comes to mind offhand.
But I've seen the AMR listed on stock CDI's in other build lists too

Well, calm down before you go all thumbs up :p. I see two choices from nology, a 3.0 ohms core and a .6 ohms core. 3.0 ohms is going to put out less voltage than the stock coil, the .6 ohms is the "hot coil" and could damage the stock CDI (mainly if used for an extended period of time, which a dragger is not obviously).

Now, the .6ohm core is the coil of choice for the drag racers because it's going to throw more voltage (same watts, just more voltage and less amperage) and we already know it's been used with success, the question is, which core do you have? the 3.0 ohm or the .6 ohm?

So the 3.0ohm core putting out less voltage than stock could actually hurt performance?

I think if i go with the monster coil i will also do the cdi down the road..1 thing at a time to see what i gain.

I agree with that, nothing like real world testeing, keep us posted

Last edited:
Has anybody used a monster coil and a nology wire with a cdi box that awk is talking about I plan on gettin a amr monster coil

Are you running just the monster coil?

seeing that blanshee jumped off, i'll add.....
"my old manster coil" had 3 rides on it, and was "like new" LOL
and i sold the Hotshot CDI locally, so i'll guess he is running it alone

edit...oh there you are !!!!!

lol thanks for chiming in for me awk, im around just lurking...
Anyway ya just the *slightly used* coil for me a.t.m.