New stock head mod

Jan 22, 2014
Remington VA
Curious as to the reaction this could receive and want to know if anyone would be interested in such a thing:: Anyhow, here it goes::

Generally everyone is familiar with the banshee "cool heads" and their interchangeable domes (combustion chambers) that go with them

coolhead.gif

This makes changing engine profiles, FINE tuning of compression and the fuel type you would like to run - is very simple and can be done relatively quickly - on a blaster this would be a SNAP!

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

My question is....

Would anyone be interested in having a stock blaster head machined to accept these interchangeable PD style domes?

I have an offer from a machinist i know well who has done this to stock banshee heads for price and "stealth" purposes. Anyhow, it can be done but will not be worth this mans time unless I can provide 5 cylinder heads to go on for starters. Heads modded this way will cost $75 each + return shipping to you.

First off, if there is an interest that is awesome - secondly, are there at LEAST 3 willing participants to go into this venture with me? Let me know! Thanks for reading.

Reactions: blasterdemon7
I used to work at an outboard/snowmobile speed shop years ago.We did a lot of the replaceable combustion chambers with great response from customers.Great for swapping different combo's around.Not in the market for one though.

Would this include the dome and or what brand/ model domes would it be that fit ?

Would this include the dome and or what brand/ model domes would it be that fit ?
I'm sure they would have to be custom made domes. Banshee domes are to small for the blaster chamber. As far as I know.

Banshee big bore domes (68mm bore) with a blaster profile should work - but this is only theory currently. Best solution for any builder using the dome would have one custom cut to their specs.

For $75 the head would NOT come with a dome, that would be extra and determined by what your setup would call for. Domes would be your standard pro design or noss style domes. The whole nature would be to simplify your setup, make for more options rather than buying a second head and having it re chambered to a different spec.

I would only be interested if you also sold the domes. otherwise how will anyone use this if a shee dome wont work?

if your cylinder is above 67.5mm i can see the shee 68mm ones working. but a smaller bore would leave a lip and possibly cause blowing of head gaskets

While this is a good idea, I couldnt see myself swapping combustion chambers around. I pretty much just set up the physics of the motor and then work around the facts with jetting. I can imagine the need for this if you were to build a drag motor or so.

Its all in personal preference, obviously yes I would end up offering domes especially if I were to confirm the banshee 68mm domes cut to blaster profiles would not be sufficient. 68mm domes wouldnt have any head gasket issues as they would use o-rings and seal much better than the copper head gaskets - everytime you oversize your blaster cylinder, do you have the head rechambered to accommodate the new bore profile? Some may, but STD bore banshee domes size all the way out to around 66.5mm, and work from 64mm on up. They also have 72mm domes for the "super cub" setups, this means there is already a market of blanks so blaster big bore domes shouldnt be an issue either. I will have to do some talking to my source again, but I may be able to do one better, and include a dome of your choice (or recommended by myself for your setup) with the head mod for about $80 or $85 - This obviously would be dropping the price of the head machining but a risk I am willing to take on my end.

And to address this being mainly for drag guys - not so. If you get tired of a mild trail port, or a backyard port job and you step up your port work to an aggressive trail port or a dune/play port, or a full drag port - its easy to make the switch. If you decide you want to from pump gas to race fuel or race fuel back to pump fuel - its an easy switch with this mod. So it can be very versatile.

Also just wanted to take the time to say I appreciate the feedback and I have no issues addressing any questions or concerns that come up with this subject. Thanks and keep the opinions coming.

Lol indeed, that would be a serious financial investment. One that for our current status is not in the cards right now. Possibly down the road we may look into such a thing. Awesome idea tho that has crossed my mind more than once.

Would this work for air cooled would there be enough heat transfer to the head with two pieces and o rings?
I would certainly think so,aluminum on aluminum with a close fit.Perfect application for heat sink compound too.

^^^ absolutely spot on. Severe overheating causes engine damage with the stock head, the most damage that would occur would be the o-rings overheating, getting hard and cracking - the least of your worries when the engine has gotten that hot lol.

Is this going to be setup for o rings on the head or gaskets. I am assuming O rings? Has your machinist looked at a blaster head and confirmed there is enough room for a pd dome and still enough material left once installed? With that said who is going to sell me 72mm blanks and who are you going to use to cut them? I can only assume driveline will be doing the work? I think it's a good concept on the shee but I doubt you will find many blaster owners wanting to spend the money. Get me some pricing on blanks and I may just be your first Guinean pig to try this out.

Lol indeed, that would be a serious financial investment. One that for our current status is not in the cards right now. Possibly down the road we may look into such a thing. Awesome idea tho that has crossed my mind more than once.
i see tht your real close to me..
so did you ever make those heads or any other blaster mods