need help with 400ex shock.

Not knockin the DIY man, but i'm curious to see how you make those bushings work and not picture of bushings but installed. I don't see how they will work without additional spacers. I have to tell you that I'm with slick in what you paid shipped not worth the DIY, and if anyone knows it would be me as I have made both spacers, sleeves, and worked with the stock bolt turned down to do the modification on a YFZ450 rear which is the same spec as the top of a 400ex. It worked perfectly but when upgrading to a works albeit a 400ex, I just bought kens bushings not because I didnt have the DIY way of doing things down at that point, because it was a much nicer specific app simple design that left me with no worries and If I count the time I spent to mod it correctly in the DIY department it still didnt beat the 20 dollars I spent on my bushings from ken shipped.

The bushings I put in, after I cut them and drilled them, they don't look nearly as nnice as ken's. But I also did it at home and not at school. I was rushing, and really wanted to get it done. I'll post pick of the bushings in today

got the shock drilled, and pic of the bushings in the frame.....(thats all im gonna show cause mine look like sh!t compared to ken's) probs dude I:I

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 251
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 252
Reactions: slickerthanyou
got the shock drilled, and pic of the bushings in the frame.....(thats all im gonna show cause mine look like sh!t compared to ken's) probs dude I:I

Props for doing your own work!!!

Sometimes, It just makes ya feel better to do it yourself! I:II:I little green your way!

and got the shock complety in, and the airbox on..... ill have better pics up tomorrow. it was dark in my garage at 9pm lol

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 259
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 237

Props for doing your own work!!!

Sometimes, It just makes ya feel better to do it yourself! I:II:I little green your way!

Lol thanks slick :D Tho I probs wouldn't have been able to do it without this site....

most definately wouldve bought the bushings and bolt for $25
Yea well..... The way did it worked awesome, and it's my work, tho if I had to do it again, Im buying the bushings hahah

sorry for the late chime in.. I have a question. Does the elimination of the rubber bushing on the bottom of the stock shock when using a a 400ex shock have any bad effects like vibration play etc. ?

sorry for the late chime in.. I have a question. Does the elimination of the rubber bushing on the bottom of the stock shock when using a a 400ex shock have any bad effects like vibration play etc. ?

You mean, bolting through the solid aluminum? You should use spacer on each side, i used washers, Haven't had any issues with play.

You mean, bolting through the solid aluminum? You should use spacer on each side, i used washers, Haven't had any issues with play.

Yeah the solid aluminum lower mount. Reason for my question is i currently have issues with vertical play in my upper and lower rear stock shock. I also take a beating from that stock pos shock so i figured better than spending money to get new bushings in the oem one i take care of two birds.. so i grabbed a nice condition 2003 400ex shock and im gonna get kens adapter bushing kit. It just seems to me that the elimination of a lower rubber bushing and addition of aluminum sitting right on top of the steel pin might cause some issues. I dont know maybe im just overeacting to something i havent even experienced yet :-/?