need help with 13digit vin number please

welshnutter69

Mar 10, 2009
hi, i just sold my quad on ebay.....bloke picked it up and took it home and saying threses no way it should have 13digits for the vin number...

as ive looked on the internet, it should have 17 digits but also seen in some cases theres only 13 digits....

can u please explain why my bike has only 13 digits, the frame is untoched and nothing looks strange...it all looks genuine.

regards, Alan I:I

well thats funny when i tryed registering my blaster i couldent find the numbers but eny way..... there should be 17 thats what they rquire on the registration form

I have a 1988, 1993, and a 2000 and they all have 17 digits plus I have a 1995 frame and it has 17 digits too. See if the chart helps u.
VVVVVVVVVVV---

Last edited:
The 10th digit of the VIN tells the year as in the above chart.

All VIN's after 78 or so( can't remember for sure) are 17 digits before that they were less.

In the early 1980's the National highway Traffic Safety Administration (U.S. Dept. of Transport) required that all road vehicles must contain a 17 character VIN. This established the fixed VIN system for major vehicle manufacturers as it is known today. Thus, establishing a unique "DNA" style number for each unique vehicle which rolled off the assembly line

This applies to atv's also

Since 1981, VINs consist of 17 characters which do not include the letters I (i), O (o), or Q (q) (to avoid confusion with numerals 1 and 0).

http://www.atvstyle.com/index.php/atv-vin-number

http://www.cyclepedia.com/vehicle-identification-number-vin/

Good chances are that if you dont have all 17 digits then someone has modified the VIN for a reason.

:DHey guys I had a little trouble as well when first trying to locate the true VIN the one that's stamped on the vertical stacked plates is not the true VIN. The true 17 digit VIN is on the left side of the frame between the shifter and the front tire will see if I can locate a pic of one to post (at work shhhhhhh).:D

Sorry guys cant get it to load into a reply you can just look at my pics on this site I uploaded it to there to hope this helps

why is there only 13 printed on the frame???
The last 2 digits of the 13 is the number in the assembly line sequence order. My Chinese quad has a 13 so it is the 13 bike made by the manufacture. Chinese do not stamp the 0000 at the end of the vin. So add four zeros at the end and there is your 17 digit vin. They can't even weld a dam frame straight why would you expect them to waste time with zeros.