blaster wont crank, please help an idiot

adamhall2942

Jun 9, 2011
long story short, i just acquired a special edition blaster think it is an 05, belonged to a friends sister who sold it on the honor system of "ill pay you later" to a boy. it looked spotless and ran perfect. She rode it twice, he had it 4 months and never paid her, he was on vacation so i went yesterday and picked it up. brought it home and kicked it ab 15 times and it never hit a lick. doesnt sound like its even getting fire, just changed plug, yes its in run position and fuel is on key is on etc.. Lol still nothing...can yall throw some ideas at me for diagnosing the problem please

Check that all wires are connected, might have pulled a wire as anti-theft device. Then check that switches ar operating proprely, normally open, normally closed.

you need to check if its getting spark. fresh fuel, clean carb, compression test. who knows whats happened to it but it needs fuel, compression, and spark to run so thats where i would start.

^^^^^ confirm it doesn't have fire by removing the spark plug from the head, clicking it back into the spark plug boot, laying it against the head, and kicking the engine over. If it doesn't show spark, replace the spark plug, they can burn out the electrode down inside and by firing but not across the gap like it's supposed to be.

If you do not have spark, go to the "general support" section of this forum and download the download-able manual and then search for who has the 03+ supplement (the 88-02 and 03+ are different wiring systems!) to test the individual components to find the fault.

If you have spark; remove, disassembly and clean thoroughly the carburetor. Especially the pilot jet, it's the most likely to gum up from setting.

Report back with your findings and we can go from there!

if its that new, its unlikelt to have a wiring problem unless the dude fiddled with it, check for sparck , as Sic mentioned and failing that, id bet the carb has some old fuel that blocked the carb.

ok fellas, pulled the carb and cleaned it, it didnt look bad but figured might as well do it anyway. i do have a new plug in it i put the new plug in the boot and had the wife hold it ab 1/8 " off and got no spark kicking it. key was on, engine switch in run position... No spark. what puzzled me is i pulled the air filter off and there was about 8 0z. Of gas in the breather box and i had to wring gas out of the filter. how the heck was there that much fuel sitting in the box and filter?!

Yeah, you actually have to touch the threaded part of the spark back against the head ( or any frame ground) and then look for spark. The ignition system is just strong enough to force electricity through the spark plug gap, it'll have trouble arcing it across two gaps...

Change the spark plug and check for spark again while touching the threads to metal. If you still do not have spark, download the manual and get a multimeter. There is a troubleshooting section that walks you through testing each of the ignition components to find the fault which is causing your ignition trouble (if there is any after the new plug).

If the new plug gets your engine sparking again, then reinstall the plug into the head and see if it fires up. If not, move onto the carburetor.

have you looked to see if this thing even has oil in the injection tank before trying to start it ???
i'd do a compression test then if it checks out ok (110+ psi) put fresh fuel, oil and spark plug in it and report back with the results

ps. use a good 2 stroke oil made for injection...yamalube or maxima IMO