Liquid Cooled Blaster

yamablaster05

Jan 21, 2008
wisconsin
www.youtube.com
A while back when the blaster motor was also used in the yamaha dt200 dirtbike with a different designed head and jug to be liquid cooled and had powervalves. but yeah the blaster was made air cooled and was given a head and jug with huge ass fins. anyway my question is has anyone ever tried to convert back to liquid cooled by finding an old dt200 and swapping parts n modding it out? just curious...

YOu need more than the head, better add jug water pump servo for powervalve etc.

im think if a dt200 top end is pushin 35hp stock imagine what it would be like with a pipe stroker and a aggressive trail port... 50hp blaster anyone?

I have seen a lot of people get hyped up about this including myself. then they all peater out when they can't find the parts. then you got to think if you do find them finally what happens when somethin breaks. you gotta start hunting all over again. that motor was a lot more popular in other countries. apparently they are easy to come by in south america.

just my .02 dude. i like the blasty bc it is so easy to find parts for. why complicate it with some hybird. but on the otherhand.... Damn it woud be cool!

Mine is 85% of the way complete.
The videos you posted are the DT200R (3ET) engine in a blaster, it uses case reed induction and isn't quite as powerful as the 37F used in the 84-88 DT200's sold in Canada and up to 99 in some areas of south America. This swap is a PITA, because lots of the country's that do have a multitude of these motors have extreme shipping, and taxes you have to pay. Best places to look are Costa Rica(tons of them), Greece, and Canada. I've got 2 of everything and if I don't lose motivation maybe w/ the help of a friend who is an electrical engineer and Zeeltronic I will bypass much of the problems w/ the stock CDI. Zeeltronic is a programmable ignition and powervalve motor controller used by some banshee owners w/ the RZ swap. It's pretty awesome, allows you to change all types of variables.
To do the swap you need:
Machined clutch basket from DT200R, Side case, water pump, primary drive gear, and DT waterpump gears
Or Blaster gears w/ modified custom made waterpump driven gear to mesh with the teeth of the primary drive gear from the blaster
or if you can find them, get the impeller gear from a RD125L/C sold in Asia and the waterpump driven gear from a DT125L/C MK1 sold in UK and mesh it up.
Or one more option, run the DT basket, side case, primary drive gear, and transmission in the stock case

Other parts needed:
Powervalve control box
Powervalve servo motor
CDI
Voltage rectifier regular
Wiring harness
Battery
Fuse holder
Flywheel
Stator
Powervalve it's self
Radiator
Cylinder head
Cylinder
Cylinder head gasket(extremely hard to find)
Powervalve seals, and O-rings(unless you find a mint cylinder)

OR you could just get the DT200 engine and drill out the back of it as Macdizzy did and add new bushings so it fits, but remember, these were enduro bikes(capable of speeds of 112mph in the later 37f models sold in South America) and wouldn't be prime for use in an atv...

It's alot of work and not discouraging anyone from trying it, but I just wanted to do it pretty bad and went for it. I kinda wish I would have just gotten a 3mm crank and an CT set-up.. but in the end it will be worth it.

One more thing to remember, these engines are known to overheat, so you need to have 3 spare impellers and water pump seals on hand. Good radiator to use is one from an RZ350 w/ a fan wired in of some sort.

Good swap, and lots of potential, but unless your committed and willing to spend countless hrs searching/calling for the parts, then it's best to swap a YZ Tri-Z, or build up the aircooled platform.

Continue thread... Pics will come don't worry, I will update my thread in a few wks, this time I mean it. ;)