Kx250

masterhacker

Jul 21, 2010
So hey, I have a 84 kx250 sitting in my garage, I built it up pretty good, and it only has like 5 hours on it since the rebuild, Here's a list of the mods:
Weisco Piston
Jetted Carb
Barnett clutch
Custom Porting Job
Boyesen Reeds
Hot Rods Crank/Main Bearings
Psi Pipe
Answer Handle Bars
All new wheel bearings/Cables/Tires/Brakes

Anyone have any idea what i could get selling it, Ive been contemplating doing it, It just sits in my garage looking at me, I quit riding it when I got my 4wheeler
Also I was wondering what people thought of how it looks
And yes I know the seat is ugly, Im working on that
Thanks!

Attachments

• Kx250.jpg
    Kx250.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 126
Yeah, that seat is circa 1980's, It came on it, and i haven't come across a cover I like, and me and upholstery don't get along

Well, to be real help, its age takes a lot away from its value, even if it runs and looks perfect, that's just how buyers are. I would say about $2000.

Offer a trade for something, you never know what you may get, another ATV, a car, etc.

Wow no sh*t, I think Im going to sell it/Trade in that case, OOh also I forgot to mention I stripped it down to the frame,cleaned,sand blasted painted,the frame.

If you get a smart buyer, they will give you a good amount for it. For what you've done to it, around 2 grand seems fair for both sides.

It always come down to whether it runs as good as it looks.

the problem with that bike is that its an 84. people want the latest and greatest technology, and around here you can get a early 2000's bike for less than a grand if you shop around. i've seen mid 90's bikes that can bearly sell for $500. and a bike that size isnt for beginners, so the people who may be interested are gonna know what they are doing and are probably gonna want to spend the little extra money and get the bike with the better suspension and more power. you should probably just keep it if your looking to get a fortune out of it, because at least around here, that wouldnt happen

My neighbor sold his '06 CRF250 for $3300, so that's how I came up with my price. =P

ok 06 that is 4 years old.
84 = 26 years old.
so lets say you use the forumla PV= OV * .90^(time), this means it loses 10% of its value each year.
use $3300 as OV and 22 years as time, you will get that PV of your old POS bike is $325
PV means present value, OV mean original value, time means time in years.

ya this formula isn't perfect, but it is close enough to give you an idea.

ok 06 that is 4 years old.
84 = 26 years old.
so lets say you use the forumla PV= OV * .90^(time), this means it loses 10% of its value each year.
use $3300 as OV and 22 years as time, you will get that PV of your old POS bike is $325
PV means present value, OV mean original value, time means time in years.

ya this formula isn't perfect, but it is close enough to give you an idea.

I didn't use a formula or any fancy way of calculating, I just took $1300 off because of its age. If it runs and looks good, who cares about it's age? =P

I would gladly give you 500 for it, I wouldn't ask more for it myself.

I believe 84 is the best year for the kx250's of the 80's so there is potential there.... but it would be alot to fix up and really not worth it when you can get a NICE 95-05 for 900 - 1500.

the 95-05 KX's have no character, the plastics aren't the best on it, but they arent horrible, but other than that, it had a complete overhaul, it fires up in 1 kick
I was thinking about putting it on craigs list for like 1000-1200 (Ive got more than that tied up in it in parts/machining, alot of guys race "vintage class" races out by me, the bikes have to be at least 20 years old, I don't really need the money, so I don't know...it would be nice to stick a grand into my blaster though...

i seen a guys website where he buys old vintage bikes, fixes them up and gets the motor going good, and gets 2-3 thousand for them depending on what they are and they are usually in the 80s but he does some 90s.

listen... if you take some time. clean that bike up. strip it and make it look as mint as possible u can sell that for $1500 at best. clean it up and see what u can sell it for. or trade it for a newer model 4stroke.

So I ended up trading it for a 85 Honda Shadow 500 with 12,000 miles and $700, unfortunately the guy I traded died while driving it after hitting a parked car doing about 70, Ill put up a pic tomorrow (of the Shadow, not the accident)