How to restore plastic

Paulie B

Jan 17, 2008
SOMD
OK I've been seein alot of threads lately about restoring plastic. Here's write up I did when I restored the old plastic on my Blasty.

This is the Pimp Paulie Plastic Shine Rite System
First thing to do is clean it and spray it down with a wax and grease remover via a rechargeable spray can. It saves a ton of money in the long run by letting you buy the remover in quarts and gallons and recharging the can with compressed air from your air compressor.
I then used 'OOOO' steel wool not pressing hard and only going in a straight line. The key is repetition. Pressing hard to save time only gouges the plastic and leaves marks that are probably worse than the scratch you were trying to get out. As it loads up just blow it out or get a new piece. Then I go over the entire piece again in a circular motion. Again lightly, Only to break up the previous straight line marks. A small circular motion is better than a large one.
I blow off the piece with compressed air. Give it a good wipe down with sponge so it will be lint free. I like the round ones used for appling wax. We are ready to coat. The platic re-new by Petcar is pretty good stuff but also Future floor polish (best alternative), Orange glow, mop n glo all work good too. I've learned that a foam brush is the best applicator. Dip it in whatever product your using and apply. Experience will tell you how much to 'load up' on the brush. Too little will cause missed spots, too much will cause runs. Don't push down on the brush the product should just flow off of it, if not then you don't have enough on it. Try to only use long straight lines from one end to the other whenever possible to avoid start and stop marks and overlap brush marks. Try to get your coat on rather quick that helps to avoid brush marks too.
Finally don't try to go back and touch up spots that run or missed spots, it won't work and will smear whats there or cause lifting later. Think of coating as a one shot deal. Don't rush to get all the coats on. Let it dry thoroughly before your next coat. I like to use 3 to 6 coats. Too many coats will cause durability issues.
If you mess up don't worry just go over it with 'OOOO' steel wool and do over. If you have never done it before I suggest you learn on your smallest piece or another piece of plastic that's not as valuable to you.
This is for plastic that's not scratched or gouged real bad. For that your going to have to sand...
Here's a picture of everything I used for the tank. For roughly $20 not including the spray can you can do your whole bike-far less than the cost of even one piece of new plastic...PB

IM000015.jpg

Before shots

88YZ400Blaster057.jpg

88YZ400Blaster019.jpg

MonsterBlasterunadulterated.jpg

After

IM000004.jpg

IM000597.jpg

also what i done on my plastics is aircraft stripper in a spray can and medium steel wool. then wipe it off with deglosser/degreaser looks AMAZING took all the scuffs and yellowing out of my white plastics i dont have a picture because i primered them shortly after yeah it was a shame to take the ugliest spray painted black plastics strip them them make them nice again and then make them a flat ugly gray but its my only option since its hard to find yellow or orange plastics CHEAP :(

this works awesome! it cleans out the scratches and even erases some and i can see my reflection in my plastics now. i also did this to mmy 250ex and it worked great.

i took a razor blade to my plastic and it looks just like new now.It was totaly sun faded and crap. Just take a razor blade and scrape in strate lines with pressure..My blaster looks like new and thats all i did...see picture below....that is my blaster after i did that.

i took a razor blade to my plastic and it looks just like new now.It was totaly sun faded and crap. Just take a razor blade and scrape in strate lines with pressure..My blaster looks like new and thats all i did...see picture below....that is my blaster after i did that.
eek.. that doesnt seem like a very good idea, it seems like it would make the plastic all uneven and stuff?

not to beat adead horse but a helpfull addition to this .. same prosses explained in first post.. except.. after cleaning.. heat the plastics with a hair dryer or heat gun.. moving it around so you dont bubble the plastic or melt them.. and spray armoral or something simmaler onto the plastics.. if it steams when you spray them its hot enough!! let cool.

my personally fav that costs a few bucks... a good auto motive wax.. wax your plastics... its quick and fool proof!! wil need to be done prob every few weeks or months depending on hhow much you ride... and you can do one better.. if you know how to and own a buffer for buffing cars use agood wax and hit the plastics with a high speed buffer works great to!!

i usedto work at a chevy dealer and anyone that has owned a lat 90's early 2000s s10 or grand am that have the black plastic mirrors that look great new than fade.. i high speed buff them and they look as good as new in a minute!

We had an old faded hood and gas tank cover in good shape just sun faded. So I started playing around with it. I used steel wool to polish all the old faded plastic off the surface. Afterwards smoothing up any scratches or scuffs by using different grades of the steel wool. I then used a heat gun to take out any stress marks that were on the hood from riding mishaps. Finally I applied several light coats of a good clear coat paint. I was really surprised with the finish product, it looked like new. We have had it in the woods a couple of times and I have pressure washed it each time and it still looks good. I:I

We had an old faded hood and gas tank cover in good shape just sun faded. So I started playing around with it. I used steel wool to polish all the old faded plastic off the surface. Afterwards smoothing up any scratches or scuffs by using different grades of the steel wool. I then used a heat gun to take out any stress marks that were on the hood from riding mishaps. Finally I applied several light coats of a good clear coat paint. I was really surprised with the finish product, it looked like new. We have had it in the woods a couple of times and I have pressure washed it each time and it still looks good. I:I

With the new clears made for plastic that actually not bad idea to spray it.
Take some of the up keep away at least.