How To 'Break In' a Two Stroke MUST be done after a top end rebuild

Isn't that a little excessive on cooling down & warming up the motor?

no. part of the purpose of breaking in a motor is to get everything to seat nicely. metals expand and contract. different metals expand and contract at different rates. you need to make the metals expand and contract multiple times to find a good seating..

i let mine idle for about 2 heat cycles hitting the throttle a few times here and there. Then after that i rode it around in 2nd gear occasionally getting on it but not hard at all since this is my first 4 wheeler ive ever owned. Then i let it cool down for 30 mins noticed the chain was lose tightened it and made sure everything was tight on it. Repeated the process but shifting into 3rd gear once again occasionally getting on it let it cool down again for 30 mins. then noticed the chain was lose again bc of a stripped axle bolt so i loaded it up in the truck and took it to my storage shed where my parts bike is and took the bolt of it and tightened the chain again. Got on it rode it varying the rpms not coming out of 4th gear notice i was changing gears threw this process not just staying in one gear. Let it cool down for another 30 mins. Then when out and rode a few trails and climbed some hills (nothing insane) but just something to see what it would do. Playing around with it then letting it cool. Then one last process and then i was getting on it pretty good breaking it in slowely. Im goin out again to repeat the process when i get my tires changed (kept losing air and couldnt figure out why) maybe some holes and weather cracks would be the problem so they are getting changed.

hey about that stuff i just got new rings in mine and redid it except new piston and all that and came to findout it wont start. well it wont get spark. i meter tested it and i think its the part that acts as the alternater. well i took it apart and it looks fine no rust or anything. i know it isnt the plug or the coil. so idk what it could be. any ideas?

wat about if you run alchohol its totally different because alky keeps your motor about 10degrees cooler and is mixed with oil differently then gas. also if yoour bike has a cut tranny lets say 2-5 override with 1st as neutral you can exactly just ride normal due to the way a cut tranny works. you have to be in the power toi shift

Break in

Well i just rebuilt my bike and got it all buttoned back togehter today. I talked to my dad about breaking it in and stuff he told me the way they used to do it when he was younger is if it was gonna be used for racing you should race the quad to break it in. This way the rings seat excactly how they should be. so i listened to him and did it. It didnt blow up or anything so i think his idea worked we will see tomorrow if the quad runs just as good or better as before the piston blew before the rebuild. This may be the wrong way but its just my 2 cents so please dont be negative.

Umm what if you cant ride it around because your neighbors are a$$holes and called the cops on you once already? I mean I can let it idle but I can't ride it around.:(

When i rebuilt mine i mixed very cheap non synthetic oil at 32:1 and let it idel for 15 minutes. Then let it cool to ambient temp,aprx..30 min or so. Then i let it warm up for about 8 minutes and rode around winding through the gears at no more then half throttle. After it cooled down i warm it back up and "rode it like i stole it" gave a Lt-400 a run for his money. After the first tank of gas i went back to amsoil dominator 50:1 and i pretty much stay at WOT most of the time(thanks toomey).

About 8 tanks of gas later i droped a reed cage bolt in the cylinder so had to pull the jug, i was amazed!! the piston looked new. Btw when i brought it home from the dealer new in 06 i broke it in like a puss and it has never ran like it does now.

I am a firm beliver of running the engine how it is going to be ran from the start.

IMO!!:-D

Well i just rebuilt my bike and got it all buttoned back togehter today. I talked to my dad about breaking it in and stuff he told me the way they used to do it when he was younger is if it was gonna be used for racing you should race the quad to break it in. This way the rings seat excactly how they should be. so i listened to him and did it. It didnt blow up or anything so i think his idea worked we will see tomorrow if the quad runs just as good or better as before the piston blew before the rebuild. This may be the wrong way but its just my 2 cents so please dont be negative.

i know for sure your suppost to only use half or no more then 3/4 throttle when braking in for the first hour or two of riding time does that sound about right people cause i do believe it is?

I think if you atleast do the 15 minute intial warm up then cool it. Like 1 or 2 heat cycles, you should be ok just dont let it get to hot for the first tank.

Do what you think is best dont do what people tell you. Good luckI:I

lawl ride it like you stole it thats got me crackin up and btw when i just seen your blaster... it looks eviL! oh and what is WOT?