How To 'Break In' a Two Stroke MUST be done after a top end rebuild

Its kinda funny they mention 5 gallons of gas through an engine to complete a break-in. Heck, I would re-ring my piston (i'd do the piston/wrist pin and bearing every other ring) once a month with about 4-5 hours on it. I'm guessing probably not much more than 8-10 gallons through it at that point. So my top-ends were always pretty fresh. After years of this maint schedule and getting a new ride (or two) each year, I got more lax with 'the' break-in procedure according to hoyle to the point that I adopted what I previously posted.

I:I

why would you rebuild your top end before it eas even broke in???sounds to me like you have more money than brains!!

Should you change the oil"tranny" after break in??
Just wondering do to any metal debris from break in that may fall in case.

BTW great thread

this takes too long, i just take it easy for the first tank of gas and then on the sacond im not ripping on it but im goin pretty good, then after that im good to go

Reactions: BlastieSa
thats not really a good idea... you should do an official breakin, but i did read somewhere BUT IM NOT GOING TO RECOMEND THIS BECAUSE ITS NOT REALLY OFFICIAL...BUT! i did read somewhere that you can just go and run it hard as hell and it will be good..but im not recomending it over the official breakin so okay?

I was told by a guy down at the yamaha dealer that its good to first let it idle in neutral for 15 minutes then cool completely to seat the new bearings, I dont think it could hurt.

Just rebuilt my sons top end, and I intend to follow this to a tee !! Many many thanks for this walk through...

Just rebuilt my sons top end, and I intend to follow this to a tee !! Many many thanks for this walk through...

Good man. Taking it easy on a new motor/rebuild will never hurt anything. Yes it takes long and its booring. Imagine how hard it was for me to do this process with my tricked out motor. It was so hard, all I wanted to do was rip it up first go around.

so i guess a tranny oil change isn't necessary after a break in, since the break in shavings get shot out the exhaust?

great break in also u should retorque your bolts on the head after break in so
you dont get a leak and loose compression and, possibly kill the gasket

honestly, ive never really "properly" broken in an engine. Ive always done two two minute heat cycles and rode it like hell.

google up motormans articles, very interesting.

lol i got my old banshee rebuilt (sold now) and i warmed it up for about 1 minute and give it full throttle up through every gear and drove hard the whole day and it always ran good

After we rebuilt the top end on one of our Blasters we followed the "break in" procedure posted up here... Just after rebuild I compression tested the machine, and came up with 125# compression. After break-in we ended up with 130#. The thing runs stronger than it did when we bought it, and it starts up 1st kick cold with no trouble at all.

I am a firm believer in research, and doing things right. Following this walk-through goes along with many other I have looked into.

Not saying that other methods are wrong.. Im sure there are hundred of different ways to break in a motor to make it last.. I am just saying that this method worked out wonderfully, and this method works great ! !

The people who do these walk-throughs take alot of time and effort to help us to get the most out our machines.I:I