Question: How Much do I mill my head?

Answer:
Base UCCR 9.84:1 = 135 psi = 22.06 cc's
-.010" off = 10.20:1 = 139 psi = 21.20 cc's
-.020" off = 10.58:1 = 144 psi = 20.35 cc's
-.030" off = 11:10:1 = 150 psi = 19.49 cc's
-.040" off = 11.47:1 = 156 psi = 18.65 cc's
-.050" off = 11.98:1 = 162 psi = 17.77 cc's

Question: If I mill my head, will it require me to run a higher octane gas?

Answer: Yes, Milling the head raises the compression. The more compression you have, the higher octane gas you will need to run. Anything over .035" will require race gas. .035" and below you'll be safe with 92-94 Octane Gas.

what part of the head do u mill, thats a weird term to use, when I hear the word milling, i think wood

Compression ratio is determined by a myriad of things, most importantly piston selection. Much like a car, you can get pistons for the same vehicle but they can have different compression ratios. From there milling the intakes and heads can effect compression ratios as well and stock figures are always on the mild side...

Use this chart as a guide to figure out your own compression ratio, do not use it as a tell all chart...

Keep in mind that differents cranks will affect your compression ratio as well. If you truly need to understand and know where your compression ratio is here is the formula....

CR=(D + PV + DC + G + CC) / (PV + DC + G + CC)

CR = Compression Ratio

D = Displacement

PV = Piston Volume

DC = Deck Clearance Volume

G = Gasket Volume

CC = Combustion Chamber Volume

Hope that helps clear things up a bit...

i just recently sent my head to have it milled, im going .020 off, i didnt know i could go up to .035, should ihave more taken off? will i notice a diff in performance with .020?

your still going to notice a bit of a difference becuz' your still raising your CR regardless of how much you take off...not taking off to much isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just means you can take off more next time if you were to damage your head in some way :)

hey regal your prettysmart i wish i new you 10 years ago when i was racing my 55 .so i didnt have to do everything lol.good to see someone like you in here