DIY Air Scoops With Pictures-Step By Step

djack12

Jun 4, 2008
California
www.blasterforum.com
This is a step by step on how to fab up your own air scoops for about $15.00. Hope this helps you build you own. I know alot of people want to know how.

1. Make a carbord template of the shape and size you want your scoops to be. I choose 8"X6" with 1" bends top and bottom. (Starting size is 6"X10")

2. Measure and mark your one inch bends and fold them. This is the shape you scoop will be.

3. Now it's time to remove your front fenders (3 Bolts).

4. Get some flat stock. About will need about 22". You can get the stock at any welding shop pr hardware store. The stuff I used was 1/2"X1/8". Cut off 2 peices that are 2" long. These will be your top mounting brackets. Drill 1 15/64" hole at the end of each bracket. (Save the rest for the bottom mounting bracket).

DSC01486.jpg

5. Mount the 2 brackets on each side of the top fender mounts.

6. Use some channel locks to bend the bracket flat. Pull up toward the handle bars untill it flat.

DSC01493.jpg

DSC01489.jpg

7. Now it's time to get your sheet metal for the scoops. I used 20ga steel. It worked well. I got mine from a sheet metal shop. He cut my sheets for me to 6"X10". He could have bent them for me, but that would cost more, and I was gonna do that myself. If you have no way to bend the metal, have a shop do it, but it is gonna cost you. Measure out, and mark 1" down from the top and bottom of the sheet metal. This is so you know where to bend. (see pcture).

8. Find yourself a vice. The one I used was 5" wide. Place the metal in the vice and line the clamps up with the lines you drew on your metal. Now push (or pull) to make your bend. Mine bent very easy. Follow the same steps on the other side, and the other peice or metal. Now you have your scoops shaped, and your top mounting brackets made.

DSC01503.jpg

DSC01505.jpg

9. Now put your scoop on the top mounting bracket. Position it how you would like it. I used channel lock to lock it in place how I wanted it. I removed mine and welded them to the brackets that I made, but if you dont want to do that just drill holes and use bolts. Repeat for the other side. You may need to use a grnder to clean up the welds and bers on the metal.

DSC01511.jpg

DSC01514.jpg

10. Now its time for the bottom bracket. Get the extra flat stock and measure it from scoop to scoop, puting it through the frame. Rest the bracket on the bottom 1" fold. Line your scoops how you want them and mark the flat stock for holes. Drill holes on each end on the flat stock. Now put it back on the bottom of the scoops and mark the places for the holes in the scoop. Remove the scoops and drill hold in them.

DSC01516.jpg

12. Now do a quick mock up and make sure everything fits how it should.

13. Remove the scoops and the brackets and scoops and paint them the color you want. Make sure to use primer first. When it all, mouth them back on your quad. I found that Puting the fender back on, using a different mounting bolt to hold it in place works best. Mount the top and bottom brackets.

DSC01524.jpg

13. Make sure you tighten every bolt, and dress is up with you favorite stickers.

You now have your very own custom air scoops. Total cost about $15.00

DSC01529.jpg

$10.00 For Sheet metal
$3.00 Flat Stock
$2.00 Spray Paint

If you have any other questions or want more pictures, just PM me.

Last edited:
how would that help air flow im jus askin all i see is a peice of scrap metal hooked up to a bar i like the way it looks but i dont see how it helps airflow

great diy! should i do it to mine? i dont know how it would look. i have my front fenders off for a different look, not sure if the scoops would stick out and look gay or look sweet.

DSC02925.jpg

yes? no?

great diy! should i do it to mine? i dont know how it would look. i have my front fenders off for a different look, not sure if the scoops would stick out and look gay or look sweet.

DSC02925.jpg

yes? no?

um put your fenders back on and put them on. i think they look good on all blasters. they just add something to them. if you want different fenders check out this great deal on some race cut fenders.

http://www.motosport.com/offroad/product/MAIER-HOOD/?catalogId=108485&refine=1&sMMY=YAMAHA%3BBLASTER%3B2001&srchHistoryURL=p8gncd8d||parentCategoryID~264^superParentCategoryID~category_root^parentCategoryName~ATV^categoryID~265^categoryName~ATV%20Parts^subCategoryName~Body%20Parts%20and%20Accessories^subCategoryID~266

yes they are really only $25.00. other places are selling the hood for $115.00-$160.00

i dont know wear u could bolt them up because u need the bracket for the front fenders to hold them

well its easy. the bolt for the front fender is plenty long to hold another 1/8" of metal. all i did was attach the other 2 fender bolts to hold it in place, the slid in the scoop bracket between the fender and the top fender mount and bolted it up. its really easy. im sure lokisbuddy could help you, because he understands how to fab stuff up. i cant really get a better picture of how they are mouted cause the fender is in the way, but it all is bolted threw the top fender mounts.I:I

If anyone wants me to make them some air scoops ill do it for $25.00+ shipping of $8.00. just PM me with you information, and i will PM you with my email address. i will take PAYPAL ONLY. when the money is in my paypal account i will ship you your air scoops. addres in paypal must be varified.

DSC02925.jpg

yes? no?

it doesnt burn your leg when you lean to the right with your fenders off ?